Crucial BX300 SSD review - The value for money option?

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/review/crucial-bx300-ssd-review-value-money-option-82658/

Crucial had the BX200 as the only option for those that were on the look for a budget SSD, and it was a good drive as long as you were ready to live with the TLC NAND, Now Crucial has released the BX300 an SSD that has the brand new 3D MLC NAND and want to follow in the steps of the Crucial BX100. So lets find out if the Crucial BX300 can do that.

Big Thanks for this review :slight_smile:

I already read a review on german hartware.net and was exited about this SSD. It have 3D-MLC, is not to expensive, have a nice transfer rate for more than a few GB, thats rare.

What I don´t like: No more than 480GB, the name “BX” is completely wrong, for me it´s a MX. But MX300 should be named BX300.

After the disappointing BX200 (75MB/s after some GBs written in a row) and MX300 (mine failes after some days, unreadable date) the BX300 is maybe worth a try.

I want to also add my thanks for this review.

I’m pretty confident that I’m going to be grabbing the MX300 480 GB or a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB to replace a HDD in an older laptop. It might make the laptop bearable to use. If not then I’ll put the SSD in my desktop and the old laptop gets recycled.

Both drive are great, if it is for a laptop I would go for the one that is cheaper at the size that I need.

Well it not only about the type of NAND that the drive has, the MX300 has power loss protection, hardware encryption, also the cost of the controller that each drive uses could be a factor on why Crucial decided to call this a BX300.
I dont pay that much attention to the name, an example of this is the BX100, back then it was an excellent drive and the competition from Crucial was the also excellent MX100.
So the mane does not say that much. Sorry top hear about you MX300, you were unlucky hope that the new drive works much better, I havent seen a drive failing after a few days, I have given the Crucial M4 256 SSD to a friend and this is a six year old drive that still works perfect.

I have more than 20 SSDs, differnet brands, different series, different capacities. The MX300 was the first SSDs with such a short life.

I have also other SSDs which failed completely (Sandisk X300, Corsair Neutron XT) and which made problems (Sandisk Ultra Plus, Corsair Neutron, Crucial M500), but it tooks more time till this problems ar´tarted.

And yes, my old M4 (2), Kingston V200+, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, even OCZ Petrol and Octane still worked well.

Remark: Some SSD-manufacturers don´t support the SMART-parameter 01 Raw read error rate. This is one of the first indicator to show problems.

I have experiencee with the Samsung 850 EVO so simply because of that I am leaning in that direction for the laptop. I might just happened to grab a BX300 for myself for some testing purposes, however. :slight_smile: Price difference is $144 (Crucial BX300 480 GB) vs $159 (Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB). The difference in price is almost negligible. Regardless, I may grab the BX300 just to try something different.

The goal is to extend the life of an older Core i3 laptop that shipped with Windows 7. I’ve since upgraded to 8.1 and now 10. It really is a nice laptop but it’s hampered by disk thrashing. It needs more RAM and a switch to SSD for some added pep. Between a 480-500 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM for it the price should be around ~$220. To save the system it’s worth it, IMO. While I’m digging in I’m going to replace the CMOS battery and earch for a new laptop battery for it although the laptop battery isn’t critical at the moment.

For my cheap Notebooks with old Pentium or Celeron 2x1,7Ghz I also bought SSDs and for my simple daily-applications it is fast enough in every way.

More ram and an SSD would do that. I used to have hibernate enabled on my laptop when it had a hard drive.
Now that Toshiba laptop can do much, its only good for listening to music and also for word. Maybe I should put back the old spinning rust and use the SSD for something else?

[quote=“vroom, post:9, topic:399290, full:true”]More ram and an SSD would do that. I used to have hibernate enabled on my laptop when it had a hard drive.
Now that Toshiba laptop can do much, its only good for listening to music and also for word. Maybe I should put back the old spinning rust and use the SSD for something else?
[/quote]

It’s pretty much a web browsing, email reading/sending, and Youtube-like video watching laptop that I maintain for a computer neophyte. If the uprgade fails to work out as I hope then I’ll either keep the SSD for myself or keep the laptop for my own basic use and buy a new one to replace it. I’d really rather not buy a new laptop right now for a number of reasons with relation to recent and upcoming AMD & Intel product releases.

If its only for that you will see an increase in speed, later you can use the SSD on another PC.
Intel should be releasing their new 4c/8t cpu’s for laptops, no idea what the plans for amd are. But if you are not in a hurry then waiting is the best option.

Yes. I think it’ll work out best to just upgrade this system until a better time to buy a new laptop and I can definitely make use of that SSD at a later time for my own use. :slight_smile: