Crossflashing

vbimport

Hello.
Is it posible and safe to crosflash my GCA-4166B to GCA-4167??
Does the lightcribe function will still working??
I want to cosflash my drive because the MediaCodeSpeedEdit doesn’t suport the GSA-4166B.
Because I tired to overspeeding the writing of diferents DVD Brans but I didn’t succeed.
The most amazing is that when I open the firm patched, the DVD That I overspeed it appear with diferent write speed (x2x4x8x16) but when I want to burn them with nero, It only allow me to burn them at 4X (even DVD that originally can be burned at 8x)
what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

Crossflashing will never work because the drives are completely different inside, using different chipsets.

I’ve also seen MCSE failing to properly patch firmware tables in GSA-4166B firmwares, and every changed entry resulting in the drive reporting only 4x available.

ala42, the author of MCSE is an active participant here, try contacting him about this issue. [There is a good chance he may notice this thread and respond.]

This in a known problem:

Thanks for the response.

I hope you’ll be able to find where the additional code that forces things to go 4x is located.

My incentive to patch strategies was to get rid of the atrocious 4x-8x Z-CLV burning that this otherwise very capable drive has been afflicted with :slight_smile:

[Let me know if you need more testing.]

The problem is not that I want to over speed +/- R (x4 media), all what I want is to be able to record my DVD that originaly are x8 at this same speed and not at x4 , because Nero only let me record them at x4.

What media ID did those discs have? Also, did MCSE show that your firmware already had support for that MID in your firmware or was it missing?

The Media ID are the following, and they are missing in MCSE.

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Princo Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRINCO8X02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON008S]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]

This does not look like quality media. Burn them at the speed your drive wants to write them (but don’t expect top results) and get better media next time.

Michael

Princo is utter crap. Most people generally use Princo as a term to describe the worst discs possible. So phrases like “deteriorates like a Princo” are the sort of thing people use. That should tell you all you need to know about how bad Princo is.

Daxon media is of average quality. It’s not that good but not that bad.

If I remember correctly, the 4166B has a problem with CMC MAG D01. It will only burn those discs at 4x, even if you select 2.4x and you inevitably end up with a coaster. It’s some sort of issue with the firmware and these discs. This may or may not affect you. If it does, I’m sorry but I don’t think anything can be done about it.

I’m not sure if the writer has support for these media codes at their rated speeds in the version 1.02 of the 4166B’s firmware. If it does but the discs still seem to burn at lower speeds than rated, then there is some other kind of lock on the burn speeds of these discs and no amount of using MCSE will get around it.

Thanks for all people that answered to my post.