Crossflashing TS-H653B using Samsung firmware

vbimport

Hi everyone,

I have been reading on here that it is possible to “crossflash” a TS-H653B into a Samsung drive, using their firmware. I have downloaded the samsung firmware (SH-S203B_SB04) but I can’t find the -NOCHECK software that people have been using to do the deed (as such)

Now, have I got the right end of the stick with the info that I’ve gleaned from the threads on here? Do I need the -NOCHECK software, or would I need something else to do it with?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2108550-post459.html

The steps above assume that you have extracted the separate firmware [.BIN] and flasher [.EXE] from the all-in-one .EXE that Samsung provides. [if you don’t know how to do that, search…check the Samsung FAQ thoroughly, etc. ;)]

[QUOTE=Albert;2115382]http://club.cdfreaks.com/2108550-post459.html

[B]The steps above assume that you have extracted the separate firmware [.BIN] and flasher [.EXE] from the all-in-one .EXE that Samsung provides[/B]. [if you don’t know how to do that, search…check the Samsung FAQ thoroughly, etc. ;)][/QUOTE]

I know I’m going to get shot for asking this, but how do you do this? I have looked at the FAQ, and read about the TSDNWIN software, but I’m at a loss. God, I’m thick :frowning:

use Winrar to extract

[QUOTE=ValiantSaint;2115377]Hi everyone,

I have been reading on here that it is possible to “crossflash” a TS-H653B into a Samsung drive, using their firmware. I have downloaded the samsung firmware (SH-S203B_SB04) but I can’t find the -NOCHECK software that people have been using to do the deed (as such)

Now, have I got the right end of the stick with the info that I’ve gleaned from the threads on here? Do I need the -NOCHECK software, or would I need something else to do it with?

Many thanks in advance :)[/QUOTE]

i can e-mail you a sfdnwin.exe file if you need the flasher tool, also you can run sfdnwin.exe from the command line and use -NOCHECK option, it is case sensitive. hope this helps…:cool:

The latest official firmware package from Samsung comes with a new flasher - TSDNWIN - which fortunately still supports the -NOCHECK parameter.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2124092]The latest official firmware package from Samsung comes with a new flasher - TSDNWIN - which fortunately still supports the -NOCHECK parameter.[/QUOTE]

But the Tsdnwin flasher was not able to flash OEM drives (Dell in my case), even with the -nocheck option.

I had to use the Sfdnwin flasher to flash the Dell into a Samsung.

And here’s the thing, once the OEM drive has been flashed with the Samsung firmware, I can only use the Tsdnwin flasher to flash (or re-flash) firmware on it again.

It took me a while to figure this out as Tsdnwin kept failing to recognize the origianal Dell drive. Maybe I was doing something wrong. But Samsung does have different firmware code for drives destined to different locations, but I’m not sure if this would prevent Tsdnwin from flashing a drive if it recognizes it to be of a different firmware code then the firmware that is to be flashed on. But I’m telling those who have a Dell OEM what I did to make it work.

Interestingly, if you go to Samsung.com and do a search for SH-S223F and go to its firmware link
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?model_nm=SH-S223F&mType=FM&vType=L&disp_nm=SH-S223F

and download this file and extract the .exe, you’ll get Sfdnwin flasher, not Tsdnwin flasher.

Hi,[quote=johndoe237;2124757]But the Tsdnwin flasher was not able to flash OEM drives (Dell in my case), even with the -nocheck option.[/quote]I am not sure at the moment if Tsdnwin is case sensitive, at least some versions of Sfdnwin are (-NOCHECK does work, -nocheck not).

I had to use the Sfdnwin flasher to flash the Dell into a Samsung.

And here’s the thing, once the OEM drive has been flashed with the Samsung firmware, I can only use the Tsdnwin flasher to flash (or re-flash) firmware on it again.
This is odd. Thanks for reporting this.

It took me a while to figure this out as Tsdnwin kept failing to recognize the origianal Dell drive. Maybe I was doing something wrong.
What was the error message?

But Samsung does have different firmware code for drives destined to different locations, but I’m not sure if this would prevent Tsdnwin from flashing a drive if it recognizes it to be of a different firmware code then the firmware that is to be flashed on.
The OEM code is designed to prevent flashing the “wrong” firmware onto a drive. This should normally be overridden by the -NOCHECK parameter.
Please note, that - depending on the Sata controller (VIA) - the OEM code may not be reported properly. I doubt, such happens on Dell systems.

Interestingly, if you go to Samsung.com and do a search for SH-S223F and go to its firmware link
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?model_nm=SH-S223F&mType=FM&vType=L&disp_nm=SH-S223F

and download this file and extract the .exe, you’ll get Sfdnwin flasher, not Tsdnwin flasher.
Interesting find. :slight_smile:

Michael

trying to crossflash my ts-h653b. how do i put teh -NOCHECK in the target box can someone show me please

Read post #5 again.

ok i did and how was that goin to help me i need to know where the -NOCHECK goes in the target here is the target box can somone show me where it goes (C:\Users\Jeff\Downloads\SH-S203B_SB04\SH-S203B_SB04.bin)