Crossflashing Sony DW-G120A to LiteOn SHM-165P6S

I know this drive is pretty old, but I came across a cheap Sony DW-G120A that I thought I might crossflash to a LiteOn SHM-165P6S. I’ve downloaded the newest stock firmware (MS0R) for the SHM-165P6S from codeguys.rpc1.org which is available in both an .exe and .bin version. I’ve had some experience with crossflashing before (see sig) but it’s been a while now and although I’ve read over some guides, I want to make sure I have it right.

I basically have two questions. Does the firmware I downloaded have to be patched in any way to allow me to crossflash? Omnipatcher does not work for 5S series onward so I can’t patch it with that if patching is required.

Secondly, I seem to recall one of the drives I crossflashed before was a two step flash. This might have been because one of the firmwares wasn’t stock. As long as I have a stock LiteOn firmware am I good to go with this Sony?

Hi,

I crossflashed my Sony DW-G120A to Liteon SHM-165P6S this way:
Got flashfix and an [I]older [/I]Liteon firmware (MS0M, if I remember correctly). Flashed the “flashfixed” Liteon firmware onto the Sony drive. That was all. Then I flashed with official Liteon stock firmware MS0R.
Older firmware is necessary since flashfix can’t handle newer firmware updates for that drive.
See http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/flasfix-unable-patch-newer-firmwares-198488/

If you already have a .bin firmware, you may try C0deking’s Flash Utility.

Michael

FYI, you don’t need a BIN file to flash using the Flash Utility. Just an unscrambled EXE:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SHM-165P6S

When the Flash Utility asks for the file to flash, just select the EXE flasher.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2293563]FYI, you don’t need a BIN file to flash using the Flash Utility. Just an unscrambled EXE:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SHM-165P6S

When the Flash Utility asks for the file to flash, just select the EXE flasher.[/QUOTE]

Ok, great! I wasn’t sure if this method was suitable for crossflashing as I didn’t see any mention of your Flash Utility in the crossflashing tutorial on your website.

When the drive arrives, I’ll give this a whirl and let you know my results. Thanks for the help!

Why do you want to cross flash? I’d test it before cross flash and cross flash only if problems are encountered. I’ve read threads where some have cross flashed other LiteOn rebadges to LiteOn firmware and experienced problems after cross flash. Some cross flashed back to original firmware to fix it while others cross flashed back to original firmware and had problems persist.

I cross flashed a LiteOn SHM-165P6S to Sony DW-G120A because I wanted to use it for burner replacement in a LiteOn LVW-5005 recorder in order to have normal fast forward function in the recorder. There were no problems with my cross flash, but there have been for other users on other cross flashes. Be sure to backup the eeprom first if you do decide to cross flash.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2294208]Why do you want to cross flash? I’d test it before cross flash and cross flash only if problems are encountered. I’ve read threads where some have cross flashed other LiteOn rebadges to LiteOn firmware and experienced problems after cross flash. Some cross flashed back to original firmware to fix it while others cross flashed back to original firmware and had problems persist.

I cross flashed a LiteOn SHM-165P6S to Sony DW-G120A because I wanted to use it for burner replacement in a LiteOn LVW-5005 recorder in order to have normal fast forward function in the recorder. There were no problems with my cross flash, but there have been for other users on other cross flashes. Be sure to backup the eeprom first if you do decide to cross flash.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I’ll be sure to back it up using C0deKing’s EEPROM Utility just in case.

But, to answer your question, I will be doing very little to zero burning with this drive whatsoever. So my reason for crossflashing is for DVD quality scanning only. As long as that much works, I won’t be too disappointed.

I found this drive pretty cheap and wanted a LiteOn drive for scanning. I noticed many people scanned with the 6S series over the years so why not try it? Also, I believe I’ve read some other users here like DrageMester I think, have successfully crossflashed a DW-G120A to a SHM-165P6S. I’m not familiar with the drive’s ability to quality scan with Sony’s firmware, or if it even can at all. Either way, for the price, I’ll probably get more excitement out of crossflashing it. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2294252]Also, I believe I’ve read some other users here like DrageMester I think, have successfully crossflashed a DW-G120A to a SHM-165P6S.[/QUOTE]Me too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2294252]Also, I believe I’ve read some other users here like DrageMester I think, have successfully crossflashed a DW-G120A to a SHM-165P6S.[/QUOTE] Yep, performed the crossflash three years ago and still using that drive (mostly for scanning). :iagree:

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2293578]When the drive arrives, I’ll give this a whirl and let you know my results.[/QUOTE]

Well the drive has arrived. I downloaded the MS0R firmware from codeguys.rpc1.org and flashed it using C0deKing’s Flash Utility 3.0.3 and the Update Boot Code option enabled. Seems to work fine.

In ImgBurn, do I want to be selecting (For DVD+R Media) or (For DVD+R Media - EEPROM!) when I change the booktype?

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2301333]In ImgBurn, do I want to be selecting (For DVD+R Media) or (For DVD+R Media - EEPROM!) when I change the booktype?[/QUOTE] The first is a temporary setting (for the current disc IIRC) and the second is a permanent setting. Use the second one.