Crossflashing Dell TS-H653F

vbimport

Hi Everybody

I have been followinig this discussion re: cross-flashing my Dell TS H653 firmware with the Samsung SH-S203B firmware. I found that When I download the firmware update from Samgsung, I can only get a zip file containing the bin file plus adobe instruction for the one click firmware upgrade method in two different languages. What is missiing is the SFDNWIN executible utility program which Samsung refuses to supply since my DVD burner was supplied with my new Dell Vostro 200 which I purchased from Dell one month ago. My DVD burner is a TST H653F with firmware rev D200. It is a SATA drive. Dell refuses to help me with this issue and so does Samsung. They told me to buy a new DVD burner from them if I wanted their help! Dell has replaced this optical drive 3 times with the same identical drive and firmware revison. This is no help at all. I even downloaded and used the MTK based Samsung patch utility by CodeKing, and even though it reported that the operation was sucessful, Nero reports that I still have the same optical drive and fireware revision that I started with.
Can anyone help me? Thanks -----Cattleman

Wrong. If you download the actual executable and open with something like WinRAR, you’ll find the utility and firmware.

You DO know that 653F is NOT the same as 653B, right?

They refuse to help b/c they don’t want any customer to brick a drive and return it.

This is where you went over-zealous in your attempts to get a SB0x-based firmware drive. It was totally and utterly unncessary.

Yes, use the search function before returning it again.

I started with TSST TS H653B originally, but neglected to realize that I now have a TSST TS H653F model.
I assumed that they were the same, but I know now that I assumed wrong.
My optical drive still has the original d200 firmware, so I haven’t changed anything.
I need to regroup and figure out what to do next

Cattleman

[quote=cattleman;2139773]I started with TSST TS H653B originally, but neglected to realize that I now have a TSST TS H653F model.[/quote]Yes. It’s the final letter, that describes the model, at least with OEM drives.

My optical drive still has the original d200 firmware, so I haven’t changed anything.
I need to regroup and figure out what to do next
What’s your problem exactly?

Michael

My problem with my TSST TS-H653F is that I get a lot of errors when burning DVDs with Nero 8. I have the same problem with both Sony 16x DVDs and Verbatim 16x DVDs. My OS is Windows Vista on my Dell Vostro 200. I get less errors at 12x but movies still freeze and skip and mostly are unwatchable.

Cattleman

Hi,[quote=cattleman;2139820]My problem with my TSST TS-H653F is that I get a lot of errors when burning DVDs with Nero 8.[/quote]Have you tried other burning software to sort out any Nero related problems? ImgBurn is a free, highly recommended solution here.
Did your Dell come with Roxio software preinstalled?

I have the same problem with both Sony 16x DVDs and Verbatim 16x DVDs.
This isn’t bad media at all.

My OS is Windows Vista on my Dell Vostro 200. I get less errors at 12x but movies still freeze and skip and mostly are unwatchable.
Very unlikely, but perhaps there are controller releated problems. You might switch Sata operation mode in Bios from Sata to IDE (if such option exists on your system).

Since the drive has been replaced 3 times, I suspect, there is something wrong with your system configuration.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2139829]Hi,Have you tried other burning software to sort out any Nero related problems? ImgBurn is a free, highly recommended solution here.
Did your Dell come with Roxio software preinstalled?
This isn’t bad media at all.
Very unlikely, but perhaps there are controller releated problems. You might switch Sata operation mode in Bios from Sata to IDE (if such option exists on your system).

Since the drive has been replaced 3 times, I suspect, there is something wrong with your system configuration.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael

I have the same problem with 1Click DVD Copy 5 and with Roxio Creator DE which came with my computer. I will try ImgBurn and see if this helps. It seems to be a problem that only exists when burning DVDs. I need to have good speed control and auto speed regulation to be able to burn at a reduced speed.

Cattleman

[QUOTE=cattleman;2139841]Hi Michael

I have the same problem with 1Click DVD Copy 5 and with Roxio Creator DE which came with my computer. I will try ImgBurn and see if this helps. It seems to be a problem that only exists when burning DVDs. I need to have good speed control and auto speed regulation to be able to burn at a reduced speed.

Cattleman[/QUOTE]

I downloaded the ImgBurn software and was able to burn an error-free DVD, however, I noticed that the speed started slow and increased to 10x. Then, in the middle, of the DVD burning process, the burning paused because the buffer became empty. When the buffer became full again, the burning continued and worked up to 10x again.
The buffer default sizewas 40 MB. Would it help this problem if I increased the buffer size to 160 MB? I would like to burn at a faster speed if possible.

Cattleman

Hi,

buffer getting low is often related to either a slow source drive or software that is interfering the data transfer.
What about the CPU load during the burning process?

Michael