Crossflashing ASUS DRW-24F1MT to Samsung SH-224FB

vbimport

Main reason: Asus 1.00 firmware has disc quality scan disabled despite this drive has a Mediatek chipset.

Steps:

1. Backup your original firmware (optional, I have a backup in case anyone need it). You need the drive configured as IDE (non AHCI) and a program called Dosflash.

2. Download the Samsung firmware. There are two versions with different OEM codes. The regular version (SB00) rips some pressed CD audio discs slower (it speeds down the drive to 8x CLV), I’ve gone through a lot of testing because I’m ripping several pressed CDs. It is better to flash ID00 version for this matter, it behaves more like Asus firmware in audio ripping.

ID00 (recommended)
SB00

1. You need to extract all the files with Winrar, 7zip, etc. (it is a compressed auto-executable). Then, create a text file with this command:

Tsdnwin -nocheck

And save it as .bat in the same folder where you extracted the firmware (.bin) and the executable. This step is to force the crossflash with the Samsung official utility (it’s in the Samsung FAQ on this site). Finally, run the .bat, select the .bin and flash the drive (requires a restart).

1. Profit! Enjoy your scans :bigsmile:

I can’t edit the OP so please, some mod/admin copy and paste this (replacing the entire post) in it:

[B]Pros: [/B]Asus 1.00 firmware has disc quality scan disabled despite this drive has a Mediatek chipset, so if you want/need this, you need to crossflash the drive.

[B]Cons:[/B] SB00 firmware doesn’t read [B]Audio CD[/B] as good as Asus firmware, it rips some pressed CD audio discs slower (it speeds down the drive to 8x CLV) and/or does not speed up the unit at all. I’ve gone through [B]a lot[/B] of testing because I’m ripping several pressed CDs.

So, [B]if you need to rip Audio CD[/B] do not crossflash.

[B]Steps:[/B]

1. Backup your original firmware (optional, I have a backup in case anyone need it). You need the drive configured as IDE (non AHCI) and a program called Dosflash.

2. Download the Samsung firmware. [B]Do not install ID00 firmware[/B] because it has problems reading DVD and ImgBurn does not work well with it.

Firmware SB00

1. You need to extract all the files with Winrar, 7zip, etc. (it is a compressed auto-executable). Then, create a text file with this command:

Tsdnwin -nocheck

And save it as .bat in the same folder where you extracted the firmware (.bin) and the executable. This step is to force the crossflash with the Samsung official utility (it’s in the Samsung FAQ on this site). Finally, run the .bat, select the .bin and flash the drive (requires a restart).

1. Profit! Enjoy your scans :bigsmile:

BTW, anyone has enough knowledge to edit a Samsung firmware and enable Disc Quality Scan in it? I’d like to use Asus firmware with this feature enabled. Thank you.

Hello Kalimist, just crossflash my ASUS 24F1ST to Sams, but no any profit.
Wanted to crossflash it back but found that I forgot to make the firmware backup.
Have you the backup of your’s? Will be very grateful.

Your drive is a different model,

ASUS DRW-24F1ST is a clone of TSST SH-224BB
ASUS DRW-24F1[B]M[/B]T (my drive) is a clone of TSST SH-224FB

Check this table: http://club.myce.com/f105/toshiba-samsung-optical-drives-table-blackened2687-338987/

ASUS DRW-24F1ST is a clone of TSST SH-224BB
ASUS DRW-24F1MT (my drive) is a clone of TSST SH-224FB

Ок, sorry, I ost incorrect model name. I have [B]MT[/B]. I tried to fing it last three hour and became a little bit crazy. Your firmware exacly whan I need! Thanks.

I have another one problem. I cannot flash it using DosFlash 2.0x64. I have Win7x64. I fixed the problem with unsigned portio64 driver but programm cannnot find the drive to flash.

I explained it in step 1:

1. Backup your original firmware (optional, I have a backup in case anyone need it). [B]You need the drive configured as IDE (non AHCI)[/B] and a program called Dosflash.

Anyway, you can flash the Asus firmware with Tsdnwin, read step 3.

I uploaded the original firmware here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pjjc55me8h4l0o6/ASUS_DRW-24F1MT_original_1.00.zip

Thanks a lot, Kalimist. You helped me very much. Everything is working fine. I had an idea to use Tsdnwin, but decided to ask somebody more exiperienced.

You are welcome, I’m finally using Samsung’s ID00 because I need disc quality scan feature enabled.

I just bought an ASUS DRW-24F1MT as I could not find a Samsung. A little pricy compared to LG and LiteOn, but I think it looks better made. Rather noisy with a JVC/TY DVD+R disc. I tried a disc quality test with Nero and although it runs, no graph or score appears. I did not really buy it for scanning, but I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to cross-flash? Any side effects? I found the Samsung firmware on http://www.firmwarehq.com as their website seems no longer working. But which of the two is “best” to try? I never saw a Samsung drive with ID firmware, so SB should probably be the first choice?

Hi, I’m still using firmware ID00 without problems. I recommend you this one because SB00 works worse, it reads CD audio slower.

You can get it here: http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_2145-file_SH-224FB_ID00.exe.html

Regards.

Can you do disc quality testing with ID00? Did you try cross-flashing back to Asus with no issues?

How fast! :laughing:

Yes to both, you can find the Asus original firmware in this same thread in case you want to revert it.

Maybe you should update your post with your latest findings as it is confusing? I rarely rip audio and mostly read and write DVD media. Do you still think I should try the ID00?

I can’t edit the OP as I said in the second post of the thread. Yes, I’d recommend ID00 over SB00 after all my tests.

Hello,

I have a Samsung SH-224GB and the slow audio reading makes me crazy. I want to use this drive to convert my CD collection to FLAC… Do you think it is possible to flash ID00?
Is there any hardware difference between SH-224-FB / SH-224-GB?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit: found ID00 firmware for SH-224GB, flashed it successfully, but there is no improvement :disappointed:

Hi, the problem could be the software you’re using to rip the CDs instead of the firmware. I mean, if you are getting low speeds with ALL of your CDs then you have probably configured something bad or you are not using the right software.

Make some tests with foobar2000 if you have not tried it yet.

Thanks for your reply, @Kalimist

Even CD Speed measurements show constant 8x speeds for pressed audio CD. Screenshot was taken with SB00 firmware, but it’s the same with ID00. Please note that CD-R discs don’t have this speed “limit”.

I see, then you have the same problem I experienced with the SB00 firmware. I didn’t find a clone of your drive, the rest of the Asus drives are LG and LiteOn clones. So I doubt you can find another firmware to avoid this speed limit.

I think you’ll need another drive to rip the CDs (if you own too many pressed ones), sorry.

Yes, I realize that. I already sent back another SH-224GB to Amazon, thinking the drive was faulty. I’ve always had Samsung ODDs with Mediatek chipsets, and they’ve always been among the fastest for ripping in use with EAC / secure mode.
I really don’t understand why Samsung crippled their latest units… Maybe people were complaining about noise at high speeds, I don’t know.
I’m almost tempted to send back this one too, take a SH-224FB & convert it to an ASUS DRW-24F1MT.