Crossflashing a Pioneer DVR-216 to DVR-217 will, indeed, NOT work

moderator note: initial posts were split off [COLOR=“Navy”]from this thread.

After a number of members have proven, trying to crossflash a DVR-216 to DVR-217 firmware does not kill the drive, but while running x17 firmware, you are unable to actually use the optical drive for its intended purpose. So,without a doubt this is a failure, and not recommended; it will likely be a waste of your time, and has risks that potentially outweigh the benefits.

This thread will only be left here as documentation purposes, should anyone in the future want to attempt the same and ask “will it work?”.[/COLOR]

Installed and working perfect on old pioneer 216L, BYE

[QUOTE=energy1959;2414638]Installed and working perfect on old pioneer 216L, BYE[/QUOTE]

Have you realy crossflashed the 216 to 217?:rolleyes:

yes working perfect, bye

[QUOTE=energy1959;2414638]Installed and working perfect on old pioneer 216L, BYE[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=energy1959;2415277]yes working perfect, bye[/QUOTE]
You really mean to say that a 216 can be crossflashed to DVR-217? How? Can you provide instructions?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/dvrflash-2-1-released-142963/index4.html#post2306759

http://files.rpc1.org/index.php?act=category&id=1775

http://files.rpc1.org/index.php?act=view&id=5657

Command line: DVRFlash.exe -vff X: S0416430.107 S0416431.107

X=Letter of your Pioneer DVD-Burner

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
(E:) PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-217L(0:2) detail information.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Vendor Identification: PIONEER
Product Identification: DVD-RW DVR-217L
Production Revision Level: 1.07
Support recording method: DAO / SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO + SUB, RAW DAO(96), TAO, DVD DAO
BURN-Free Technology: Supported ( Unknown )
Auto-Select best write speed: Not Supported
*** NOT listed in Alcohol’s database. Please report to development team
-* Note: This information below is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. -
-
This software does not use this information! *-
Removable media: Yes
Version: ATAPI (INF-8090i/INF-8020i/INF-8028i)
Response Data Format: 02h
CD-R Read/Write: Yes/Yes
CD-RW Read/Write: Yes/Yes
Read CD-R Fixed Packet: Yes
Test Write: Yes
DVD-ROM Read: Yes
DVD-R Read/Write: Yes/Yes
DVD-RAM Read/Write: Yes/Yes
Audio Play: Yes
Composite Audio and Video Data Stream: No
Digital output (IEC958) on port 1 Supported: No
Digital output (IEC958) on port 2 Supported: No
Mode 1 Form 2: Yes
Mode 2 Form 2: Yes
Multi-Session: Yes
BUF: Yes
CD-DA Commands supported: Yes
CD-DA Stream is Accurate: Yes
R-W Supported: No
R-W De-interleaved and Corrected: No
C2 Pointers Support: Yes
ISRC Supported: Yes
UPC Supported: Yes
Read Bar Code: No
Lock media into the drive: Yes
Currently drive Lock state: Unlocked
Prevent Jumper: No
Eject Command: Yes
Separate volume levels: Yes
Separate channel mute: Yes
Changer Supports Disc Present: No
Software slot selection: No
Side change capable: No
P through W in Lead-In: Yes

#######################################################################

And you are sure that the drive was originally a DVR-216, and is now a FULLY FUNCTIONING DVR-217? If so, this is interesting news.

Both the Pioneer DVR-216 and Pioneer DVR-217 Optical Drives use the NEC MC-10044B chipset so it is conceivable that a DVR-216 to DVR-217 crossflash could be possible.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=Albert;2415359]And you are sure that the drive was originally a DVR-216, and is now a FULLY FUNCTIONING DVR-217? If so, this is interesting news.[/QUOTE]

sure for this mate!

bye

I’ve just done the same. It really works. :iagree: :flower:

Wow, that’s nice to hear. I wonder whether anyone before now has wanted to try it but didn’t have the proper tools.

Thanks to energy1959 for the heads up, and thanks to B4B for reporting that it worked. :flower:

Any other CD Freaks ready to try? :bigsmile:

Now, the question is :bigsmile:: DVR-116L–>DVR-117L? :smiley:

This applies to the DVR-216D model too?

[QUOTE=Lvsitano;2415470]This applies to the DVR-216D model too?[/QUOTE]

The hardware should be the same, so it should work. We will not know for sure until someone tries and reports back, though.

116L -> 117/F is definitely possible, however, after reflash, whenever the tray closes, there are some noises sounding like the servo/gears are trying to engage. So there are some differences in the firmware. But I flashed it back since it’s not good for long term usage as a 117/F. BTW, the 217L and 216L are as they are: unadulterated. :bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing, nice info !

Just got a fresh 217BK recently, and noticed our local shop still carries 216, I believe its an old new stock.

Now, regarding this 216 x-flashed to 217, if it works flawlessly, looks like the electronic board is the same on both, does anyone know any significant differences in the mechanical design between them ? Especially for those who had opened both models for chipset inspection or cleaning.

Planning to grab another nec based Pioneer, cause if the mechanical design/material in 216 is better, prolly I will grab it instead of 217.

or better, let me rephrase the question, to Pioneer’s section “old residents” :D, if you had to choose between 216 vs 217, which one ?

After I crossflashed 216L (S16J) to 217L, my drive does not see blank and burned discs. Crossflashing back failed.

Managed to crossflash 217L back to 216L. Used DVRFlash v.2.7.3. The tray of the drive was open. Now my drive is operable again.

116L -> 117/F is definitely possible, however, after reflash, whenever the tray closes, there are some noises sounding like the servo/gears are trying to engage

My 216D drive produces that sound whenever the tray closes, or when seeking for a disc.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2415665]After I crossflashed 216L (S16J) to 217L, my drive does not see blank and burned discs. Crossflashing back failed.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the report. :slight_smile:

Any other takers who have had this fail?

[QUOTE=KTL;2415553]116L -> 117/F is definitely possible, however, after reflash, whenever the tray closes, there are some noises sounding like the servo/gears are trying to engage. So there are some differences in the firmware. But I flashed it back since it’s not good for long term usage as a 117/F. BTW, the 217L and 216L are as they are: unadulterated. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Same here. My 216L->217L makes some weird noises when the tray is closed and doesn’t read any discs.
Crossflashing back to 216L worked fine though and everything is back to normal.