Crossflashing 1620 OEM + exrernal enclosure

vbimport

Yesterday I got my first DVD-burner, BenQ 1620, OEM-G7L9. Like many other owners of a OEM drives, I would like to make it PRO with crossflashing. I read carefully all the threads regarding this topic, but my case is a little bit different. I installed the burner in an external USB 2.0 enclosure, chipset-ALI M5621-A1. As far as I know the original BenQ EW162I is “1620 Pro” + “ALi
M5621 A1” like in my case.

The questions are:

1. Has somebody tried to crossflash 1620 in a external enclosure, I mean through the USB 2.0 port?

2. How safe is the procedure for the drive?

3. Do I need to do the first crossflashing to Pro with “WinDXFlash” in a Desktop PC-IDE Port?

4. When make the drive PRO, can I use the official firmwares for BenQ EW162I?

Thanks in advance.

My configuration is: Compaq, Armada M300, P3-600, 320 MB, Fujitsu 4200rpm, BusLink PCMCIA-USB 2.0 card, WinXP Home.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138436#fw-ext

Thanks for the responce.

The post doesn’t say the sequence of action.
Maybe my main question is if I need to crossflash with WinDXFlash to PRO in a regular PC(IDE) and then having coffiguration like the original “Benq EW162I = 1620 Pro + ALi M5621 A1” to use the official EW162I firmwares.

Regards

I just flashed my HP640i in external enclosure to BenQ 1625. Chipset is ALi.

Is HP640i a BenQ or Lite-On DVD?
If it is BenQ, could you provide more info about the the firmware you used and the sequence of action you made. I am a little afraid to flash my BenQ 1620 because I have a laptop and the connection is through a PCMCIA-USB 2.0 card and then the external enclosure.

Regards

It is made by BenQ as the label on top of the drive says. The label one the front says only HP640, i think the LiteOn drives say HP640i. However they are all sold als HP640i and the package also says HP640i.
I connected my drive to USB Port, waited till windows did recognize it properly. Then I started WinDWFlash, chose the drive and the 1625 .cvt file (not the newset FW) and hit “FLASH”. Took about a minute, then it was done. I cycled power, waited till Windows recognized it again and flashed it to newest fw with official flasher made by BenQ. Cycled power again and successfully burnt a DVD+R :slight_smile:

Thanks Pac,

After the detailed explanation I’ve got some confidence and I will do it in the way you explained. Maybe the only thing I will change is to flash in SafeMode, to eliminate antivirus, other applications and drivers.

Regards