Crossflashing 160p6s to 165p6s

Is it possible to cross flash 160p6s to 165p6s.I think that by crossflashing it is possible to add dvdram support.I do not know much about dvdram.Please give your valuable suggestion

use the forum search. this has already been discussed.

IIRC, you cannot flash to a “higher” unit with additional support. There were BenQ users flashing from a 1655 (lightscribe) to a 1650 (non-lightscribe) successfully. It seems the rule of thumb that “you can always downgrade a newer program/unit to an older one” is true, whereas you rarely can upgrade to a newer program/unit–unless of course the two units in question are basically the same (IIRC, I’ve seen LiteOn 1633s flashed to 1653, and 1653s flashed to 1673s, and 1673s flashed to 1693s), or perhaps have similiar enough features that all that’s being improved are write strats.

Hi,

This is not always true. Have a look in the Pioneer section and see, what people do with their 110/111 drives:) Or some LG users, that gain 12x DVD-RAM capability with xflashing.

There were BenQ users flashing from a 1655 (lightscribe) to a 1650 (non-lightscribe) successfully.
And vice versa. But these did not gain LS functionality due to lack of LS hardware.

It seems the rule of thumb that “you can always downgrade a newer program/unit to an older one” is true,
I won’t agree :disagree:

There are many drives from different manufacturers out there, that have exactly the same hardware. Their features are only determined by the firmware, that is used. But unfortunately xflashing is often not possible.

Michael

not possible to crossflash 160P6S -> 165P6S at the moment.

probably got something to do with the caliberation data in the drive?