Crossflashed Firmware = Dead Drive (Sony DW-D26A)

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-D26A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]So, I was haveing some read/write issues with a Sony DW-D26A. Decided to flash the firmware before trashing the drive. Read the thread here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/sony-dw-d26a-drive-firmware-138466/

followed the Black Wizards Advice and used the 1693S.KC4B.patched-cf.exe file to flash the firmware. Before flashing I DID back up the original JYS3 firmware and the EEPROM. After flashing I rebooted and BIOS recognized the drive as a LITE-ON 1693S. Windows proceeded to detect the drive, attempt to install it, and fail with a Code 19 error. Now windows can’t start the device and that means I can’t use the typical utilities to restore the old firmware.

Any Ideas? I’ve looked at the XSF app frome codeguys, but don’t know the exact syntax of the command I should run.

Thanks for any help.

-D

I forgot to mention, I’m about to restart and boot from a Linux LiveCD to see if its a Drive/Firmware issue or a Windows issue. Will update when I know more.

Update: The drive worked fine to boot into a Linux LiveCD. I didn’t try to burn anything, but it read the CD just fine. Looks like this is a windows issue.

Hi,[quote=dchrist21;2199688]Update: The drive worked fine to boot into a Linux LiveCD. I didn’t try to burn anything, but it read the CD just fine. Looks like this is a windows issue.[/quote]:iagree: See here: You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: “error code 31”

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2199831]Hi,:iagree: See here: You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: “error code 31”

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I stumbled upon this one last night and tried it with no success. I also deleted the drive and all ide controllers from the device manager, then restarted, with no effect. This windows installation is pretty ‘mature’ and I think I’ll be taking the opportunity to do a full re-installation.

Try to uninstall ad then reinstall the chipset own IDE drivers.

It might resolve the issue, expecially if you put an updated version.

Bet wishes

:wink:

Gyxx