Crossflash PX-L890SA to iHAS224B Flash Failed

vbimport

Hi all.

To start, I am attempting to crossflash a Plextor PX-L890SA to an iHAS224B in order to flash it with burner max firmware to back up Xbox 360 games.

My setup is an Xecuter USB Pro V2 and an external molex to sata power supply. With this setup I can see the drive just fine in Windows 7. I am using the Flash Utility and Eeprom Utility from codeguys.rpc1.org.

I am following this tutorial. http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87381

Now, I am able to read and save my flash and eeprom no problem. The problem is I am unable to write to my flash. I have attempted to write all of the unscrambled firmware packages for the iHAS B series drives from the codeguys site. The error I am getting is a pop up saying “Error writing flash to drive”. Then, the flash utility displays “Writing of flash failed” in the dialogue box.

I have read that with the USB Pro V2 you have to disable the ripping features in its code by running the update utility. Following this guide here - http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86585

I have tried doing that, and am still unsuccesful. Any ideas?

I know that when running these drives off of a sata connection on the pc that the controller has to be in IDE mode, but I did not think that was applicable to the USB Pro V2. Appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum, statecowboy :flower:

First, use flash utility to look at the flash size listed for your drive. Make sure it is 2MB(B drive) and not 1MB(C drive).

You can try our member CVS’ method explained in this thread, post #21, if yours is a B drive. PLEASE read the entire post and follow his cautions. You can kill a drive if you try this method with any other than a B drive.

Appreciate the response. It is indeed a 2MB flash. I did get my issue sorted out.

I ended up using a kamikaze (not called that - I just call it that) type recovery flasher which flashes iHAS124B firmware onto the drive, bypassing any checks. Basically brute forcing the flash. This ended up working just fine, and then I was able to update the drive and flash the burner max firmare on it.

If someone else stumbles across this, you can not use flash utility on a PX-L890SA to crossflash without doing this first.

deanwitty - the link to the thread you sent me is great, and I believe they did the same thing I did, probably via a much smoother process. Thanks anyway.

[QUOTE=statecowboy;2663925]Appreciate the response. It is indeed a 2MB flash. I did get my issue sorted out.

I ended up using a kamikaze (not called that - I just call it that) type recovery flasher which flashes iHAS124B firmware onto the drive, bypassing any checks. Basically brute forcing the flash. This ended up working just fine, and then I was able to update the drive and flash the burner max firmare on it.

If someone else stumbles across this, you can not use flash utility on a PX-L890SA to crossflash without doing this first.

deanwitty - the link to the thread you sent me is great, and I believe they did the same thing I did, probably via a much smoother process. Thanks anyway.[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear you found your way to the recovery flasher. You’re right. The trick is to use an unlocked flasher to flash those Plextors.