Crossflash of a Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH

vbimport

I have one of these units which came with firmware dated 2010.

Apparently there is newer firmware for a different OEM: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R300726

But the problem is that since the drive has a slightly different name, I can’t just use the utility to flash it.

I tried using Flasher on the included .exe in the zip file but I’m guessing that the firmware is scrambled.

Can anyone unscramble it so that I can use Flasher to flash it? My current reason for upgrading the firmware is to get booktype support. The EEPROM utility cannot change the booktype.

Here you go: http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/32424879/file.html

I don’t know if Flash Utility support this drive or not. I recommend you to backup your current firmware with DosFlash (if possible) or to get any official flasher compatible with your drive for the case if new firmware will be incompatible with your current EEPROM.

Try the crossflash with drag and drop method - drag the extracted firmware directly to the official flasher file XD13WIN.exe, then select your drive and flash it. If the new firmware will be incompatible with your EEPROM, flash the drive with your backup.

I know that the EEPROM utility supports the drive so flasher should too. I’ve already made a backup of the firmware.

I’ll try flashing when I get hold of the laptop again and report back.

[QUOTE=Mangix;2718115]I know that the EEPROM utility supports the drive so flasher should too. I’ve already made a backup of the firmware.

I’ll try flashing when I get hold of the laptop again and report back.[/QUOTE]

Thats not really a surefire logic set you go there…I have had a few drives i’ve attempted to dump that the EEPROM worked and the FW could not be dumped and vice versa, i’d do a bit of research into others experience before i go assuming a FW dump is not scrambled or incorrect…

[QUOTE=Mangix;2718115]I know that the EEPROM utility supports the drive so flasher should too. I’ve already made a backup of the firmware.
[/QUOTE]

Post a link for your firmware dump (Zippyshare.com is a good host to use), and then we can tell you if the firmware has been dumped correctly or not.

Hello and sorry for the delay. Here is the firmware: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/55182613/file.html

I just noticed that there is a 1MB vs. 2MB file size difference but am not sure if the second megabyte is full of 0s(don’t have the tools to check at the moment).

Well, since I was impatient, I crossflashed it successfully using blackened’s instructions. Bitsetting options are still grayed out though :. Anyone know of any new firmware for this drive?

[QUOTE=Mangix;2719005]Hello and sorry for the delay. Here is the firmware: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/55182613/file.html

I just noticed that there is a 1MB vs. 2MB file size difference but am not sure if the second megabyte is full of 0s(don’t have the tools to check at the moment).[/QUOTE]

Your dump is OK.

XD13 is the newest firmware available for this drive as far as I’m aware. Aside of your XA15 firmware (Acer OEM?) and the Dell XD11/XD12/XD13 I haven’t seen any other OEM firmwares released/dumped for this particular model.

Since XD13 is dated 2011/02/18, it is nearly a year newer compared to your original XA15 firmware (dated 2010/03/17), so at least its a step in the right direction…

Yeah I agree.

I was looking at other Lite-ON firmwares that have 1.5MB of cache but they’re all for 5.25 inch drives. Maybe there’s a retail firmware that’s compatible. At least that’s been the case with the other three drives that I’ve worked with…

[QUOTE=Mangix;2719030]Maybe there’s a retail firmware that’s compatible. At least that’s been the case with the other three drives that I’ve worked with…[/QUOTE]

LiteOn has never released a firmware for a DS8A5SH drive, but if I were to make an educated guess, I would put my money on the eSAU108 5 external drive. eSAU108 2 external drives were based on DS8A2S internal drives, eSAU108 3 were based on DS8A3S drives, so it stands to reason that the internal drive used in the eSAU108 5 will be a DS8A5SH drive.

That is not particularly helpful though, because there’s only one firmware release available for the eSAU108 5, namely JL05, and I think that was released by LiteOn around Nov 2010, which means that the JL05 firmware would be older than XD13… I don’t know the exact internal firmware date because I don’t have a dump, I only have the scrambled *.exe file…

I can extract firmwares from flashers for external drives in Friday when I will be at home. Maybe these firmwares will enable bitsetting on this drive…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2719102]I can extract firmwares from flashers for external drives in Friday when I will be at home. Maybe these firmwares will enable bitsetting on this drive…[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Here’s a link to the JL05 eSAU108 5 firmware: http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/90536410/file.html

Thank you, CVS!

Here is eSAU108 5 firmware JL05: http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/34717242/file.html

I think that this crossflash should work.

Also I’ve extracted eNAU508 5 firmware 8L04: http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/96185735/file.html

I can’t say if this crossflash will work but the firmwares are very similar and all of them have “DS8A5S” signature near the end. I would risk and try this crossflash, too.

The latter seems very interesting as strings show a date later than my current dell OEM firmware. I will definitely try it out when I get the drive again!

[QUOTE=Mangix;2719012]Well, since I was impatient, I crossflashed it successfully using blackened’s instructions. Bitsetting options are still grayed out though :. Anyone know of any new firmware for this drive?[/QUOTE]

From the tools thread:

http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/

“As of mid-April 2004, all of the latest LiteOn half-height drives and firmwares support bitsetting! Unfortunately, none of LiteOn’s slimline drives (internal laptop drives) currently support bitsetting.”

Bad news: The eSAU108 and N firmwares do not work on this drive. I flashed them but this results in an unresponsive drive. I flashed back to the Dell firmware and all is well. If what schuster says is true, then looks like there’s no point in flashing non-OEM firmware

[QUOTE=Mangix;2724614]Bad news: The eSAU108 and N firmwares do not work on this drive. I flashed them but this results in an unresponsive drive. I flashed back to the Dell firmware and all is well. If what schuster says is true, then looks like there’s no point in flashing non-OEM firmware[/QUOTE]

The firmwares should work OK, because both of them are DS8A5S firmwares, but you might have to use the Convert Drive feature in the EEPROM Utility (the Crossflashing tab) to fix the likely ID miss-match between the EEPROM and the new firmware resulting due to the internal <-> external firmware crossflash. After that, the drive should become responsive.

Make sure that you’ve got an EEPROM dump/backup (8k file dump made with the EEPROM Utility) before playing with your EEPROM.

Oh I didn’t know that. I thought you just flash firmware and it starts working right away. Looks like I’ll have to try this…

another reply since there’s no edit:

this seems to make sense since the drive’s LED was only blinking. When I flashed the N firmware the first time, there may have been a CD inside. I don’t quite remember.

This also makes sense since I’ve also converted a DH16A3L to a DH20A3L and had a similar issue but used convert drive to fix it(or something along those lines. memory is fuzzy). Although this does beg the question: can the flasher or eeprom utility convert the drive?

[QUOTE=Mangix;2724715]Although this does beg the question: can the flasher or eeprom utility convert the drive?[/QUOTE]

The simple rule is that if the Flash Utility can successfully dump the firmware of a given drive, then the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will also work OK with that drive.

Basically what the Convert Drive function does is to read the firmware from the drive, read the EEPROM from the drive, compare them against each other and if necessary adjust the EEPROM to match the firmware.

Since the Flash Utility works fine with your drive, then the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will work as well.

Also, if after crossflashing a drive its LED keeps blinking constantly and the drive refuses to read any discs, then that’s indicative of a firmware-EEPROM miss-match which requires the use of the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility to sort out.