Crossflash E60L -> H55L

Hey guys,

I’m not very happy with my GSA-E60L and read a few days ago, that it is possible to crossflash it to a GSA-H55L with help of MCSE, is that right?

If so, can anyone explain me how to do that? I’m not sure which firmware i need (that from E60L or H55L) and which flash utility i can use for flashing external drives. :confused:

Thank you in advance.

You need a H55L firmware, e.g. 1.05. Load the firmware .exe file with MCSE, save the stand alone flasher, continue to use the firmware, select the E60L drive in the firmware crossflash settings in the lower right edge, save it and flash the patched firmware .bin with with the previously saved stand alone flasher.

Ok, that seems to be easy. I’ve tried myself a bit at the weekend, but was not sure if it’s the right way.

I’ll give feedback if it worked. Thank you again. :slight_smile:

Hm, flash process started…then stopped at 10%, drive LED went out and then the the flasher said this:

I don’t know if this was right, but the drive is now recognized as a GSA-H55L. Also ich checked the “increase read speed” box.

For testing i burned a DVD with Nero Disc Speed at 16x speed, here the result:

It was surprising for me, that the drive really burned at 16x…although it’s only USB2.0.

Since quality scan didn’t work with LG drives i only added a benchmark:

To finally check the “new” here a screenshot of Nero Info Tool:

So, what would you finally say…is the drive ok? Any hints?

Thanks advance. :slight_smile:

interested in this i have a e60n comming

I’m trying to do the same thing but falling at the first hurdle. Eventually found what MCSE was and downloaded it but it doesn’t recognise GSA-H55L_106.exe… I can’t see any ‘save the standalone flasher’ option either should I find out how to overcome the first hurdle! Not helped of course by me coming to the party 12 years later!

That’s not a button, it means you need to save the official flasher.
Basically you need to load the H55 firmware into MCSE. After that you will see a list on the left, the supported media list. On the bottom right there is an option saying something like “adapt flasher for the following model” and you need to select your current drive, E50L. After that you need to press save in the top right corner and save the file somewhere. And finally you need to run the file to actually flash the drive.

Thanks for the swift response, but I still can’t see how to load the H55 firmware (in .EXE updater executable format) into MCSE - it tells me it is encrypted and unrecognisable. In the good old days you could find a .BIN version on the old RPC1 site which I guess is what is needed to load into MCSE. Is there a way for extracting the firmware from the official updater? Have I got the right version of MCSE? I’ve found 1.2.0.10.
I also want to cross flash my Memorex 40Maxx to the LiteOn equivalent, but that’s even older!
Thanks, Keith

Yes, just right click on the official flasher and select “extract here”. I think you need to have WinRar installed for this to work. You will end up with two files, the actual flasher and the firmware.

Many thanks - WinRAR was the key to unlock the deadly embrace! I use WinZip which does not recognise the updater as being a self-extracting archive. Drive successfully updated, although it gave a worrying error failure message about being incompatible, but I think that was the after-update check because after a reset it is recognised as an H55L and works…
Now to find out how to extract the VS0D .bin for my Memorex drive from its updater, for which the WinRAR approach does not work. Onwards and upwards! Thanks, Keith