Crossflash: DVR-215 to DVR-S15J?

Thanks to ala42 for releasing MCSE 1.1.0.14 :flower: I have just re-flashed my DVR-215 after replacing a couple of MIDs.

However, this has prompted me to ponder if it can be cross-flashed to the DVR-S15J. Has anyone tried this out?

Any brave souls willing to take the risk, please post your results :cool:

[QUOTE=alexanderino;1993195]Thanks to [B]ala42[/B] for releasing MCSE 1.1.0.14 :flower: I have just re-flashed my DVR-215 after replacing a couple of MIDs.

However, this has prompted me to ponder if it can be cross-flashed to the DVR-S15J. Has anyone tried this out?

Any brave souls willing to take the risk, please post your results :cool:[/QUOTE]

To flash the Pioneer drive from one model to another, you need to have a firmware with kernel, so far only TDB is able to provide this. However, there is no S15J firmware with kernel now. So, wish and wait TDB would make it for us. :slight_smile:

(Once that S15J kernel firmware is out, crossflashing 112 to 115 is likely possible :p)

Thank you very much for your helpful answer, [B]Skylon[/B] :flower:

The TDB website seems to be down again, and they haven’t been seen online since last year :frowning: Hope they are doing all right.

[QUOTE=alexanderino;1993252]Thank you very much for your helpful answer, [B]Skylon[/B] :flower:

The TDB website seems to be down again, and they haven’t been seen online since last year :frowning: Hope they are doing all right.[/QUOTE]

the whole RPC1 site is down, no timeframe for when it will be back

@chef and alexanderino

Some posts deleted and you know why. :cop:

What exactly is so special about this S15J and how does it compare to the 215?

[QUOTE=cantankerous;1993351]What exactly is so special about this S15J and how does it compare to the 215?[/QUOTE]

It’s the premium SATA version of the DVR-215, and presumably adds LabelFlash support. Unfortunately, it’s not sold outside of Japan :frowning:

[QUOTE=PumaUK;1993276]the whole RPC1 site is down, no timeframe for when it will be back[/QUOTE]

True, but it’s not just that. The Dangerous Bros haven’t posted here since January 2007, and I believe it’s the same situation at rpc1.org.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;1993290]@chef and alexanderino

Some posts deleted and you know why. :cop:[/QUOTE]

Perfectly understandable, [B]Dee-27[/B]. Thanks :slight_smile:

I wonder if the 215D can truly be unlocked to this Labelflash variant. I mean, is the hardware truly identical? I read that the S15J also has more onboard memory available? Is this true?

That was something I had noticed — one page claims it has 128 MB on-board RAM, but Pioneer claims it’s still 2 MB. I suspect the first page mistook the required minimum PC RAM for the on-board memory. Why would a burner need so much, anyway?

Damn, I wish this drive was on sale here in Oz. Wouldn’t mind paying the AUD 60 or whatever.

I just wish the 215 in general was available in North America. I can find the 115 everywhere but that is it. Bah. My 112 no longer reads or writes CD’s and itching to replace it with the new SATA variant.

cantankerous, Pioneer is aware of this defect, and should replace the drive for you. Contact them to get an RMA, they may even send you a 115 :slight_smile:

Yea I know they know hehe. I bought it from NCIX and they warrant OEM drives for one year so I have till March to get it back to them. I may just go through them for a replacement.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=43868
here u are

Yes! :clap: Thanks to all those involved :bow: