Crossflash and firmwares for Sony AD-7191S

I have just bought the Sony Nec AD-7191S SATA writer (20x, lightscribe, dvd-ram…) which has firmware 1.00 (manufactured in october 2007), any tips on what firmware can i load onto it? can i crossflash it to a liteon model?

i downloaded firmware for dh-20a3h but it doesn’t recognize my new drive.
but i was able to backup my current firmware using eeprom utility.

i had earlier flashing/cossflashing/omnipatching experiences with firmwares for my retiring liton 1633@1653

question: i still don’t understand how a dvdrw writer is labeled Sony Nec, then it mounts Optiarc hardware and in reality it’s a liteon drive, confusing :confused:

[QUOTE=mcbyte;1939081]I have just bought the Sony Nec AD-7191S SATA writer (20x, lightscribe, dvd-ram…) which has firmware 1.00 (manufactured in october 2007), any tips on what firmware can i load onto it? can i crossflash it to a liteon model?

i had earlier flashing/cossflashing/omnipatching experiences with firmwares for my retiring liton 1633@1653

question: i still don’t understand how a dvdrw writer is labeled Sony Nec, then it mounts Optiarc hardware and in reality it’s a liteon drive, confusing :confused:[/QUOTE]

I have an AD-7190A crossflashed to DH20A3P. At this time the only options to crossflash are:

AD-7190A -> DH20A3P
AD-7191A -> DH20A3H ( with lightscribe )

Both are PATA.

Maybe it’s possible to crossflash your drive to a DH20A3L ( SATA with lightscribe ).

To perform the crossflash you must use the flash utility. Look at this thread to see if your drive is supported and details. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/flash-utility-liteon-based-optical-drives-v2-2-2-20a4-support-190420/

You can get the latest Sony AD series firmwares from their European site:
http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html

[QUOTE=mcbyte;1939081]I have just bought the Sony Nec AD-7191S SATA writer (20x, lightscribe, dvd-ram…) which has firmware 1.00 (manufactured in october 2007), any tips on what firmware can i load onto it? can i crossflash it to a liteon model?

question: i still don’t understand how a dvdrw writer is labeled Sony Nec, then it mounts Optiarc hardware and in reality it’s a liteon drive, confusing :confused:[/QUOTE]

A advice if you take it don’t crossflash the drive when under warranty as this will void any repair or RMA if the crossflash ruins the drive…! But if past warranty you can crossflash all you want…if you have the money to constantly buy new drives each times crossflash goes bad…

But if i get some advantages by cross flashing, then i don’t care about warranty, i did this with my older 1633 once i knew they they were nearly impossible to die, there were always method to reflash even with the worst errors you could get (the dos flash utility that drives to the IDE channel even without detecting a drive installed on that channel), if there is a way to recover from wrong flashes then i like to risk :slight_smile:

but it seems that this drive is quite new and there are no many hack for it as my older 1633@1653, guess have to go to official 1.01 firmware for the moment.

[QUOTE=mcbyte;1939522]But if i get some advantages by cross flashing, then i don’t care about warranty, i did this with my older 1633 once i knew they they were nearly impossible to die, there were always method to reflash even with the worst errors you could get (the dos flash utility that drives to the IDE channel even without detecting a drive installed on that channel), if there is a way to recover from wrong flashes then i like to risk :slight_smile:

but it seems that this drive is quite new and there are no many hack for it as my older 1633@1653, guess have to go to official 1.01 firmware for the moment.[/QUOTE]

I was just stating that part if you ever decide to RMA the drive but if you choose to crossflash warranty or no that is your choice as you own the drive. Yes, you can get some benefits in crossflashing but if it fails and you need the drive that day can be a downside unless you have a spare laying around. There are programs to rescue the flash but I don’t know much about those…they talked about it on the forum here but you will have to ask those who used that method to see how it went.

Is anyone here able to confirm that AD-7190/1S is DH-20A3S/L please?

As of now, is it possible to crossflash 719x SATA models to Liteon? Do you know, if 72xx models are Liteon 20A4s compatible?