Crossflash 716AL with tray-firmware?

I’ve got a PX-716AL. Same as the PX-716A but it’s slot-load and has no logos on the front. Last firmware update was in 2005 and it’s at v1.02.

The standard PX-716A has had many updates and I’m guessing has a better disc database than the AL.

Is it possible to throw the firmware from the normal drive on the slot-load version? Will it fry my drive, or “just work?”

I have a bunch of older DVDs that are calling themselves 4x and I’d like to burn them quicker and create my own autostrategy for them, but the drive won’t even let me, I presume because it doesn’t know the manufacturer or something.

I don’t thiunk you can or should risk of flahing a tray version firmware on the slot loading drive. It has different timings for the disc loading motors.

The newest firmware for the 716AL which is 1.02 is the same as FW version 1.09 for the trayloading drive. The reason for this is that the slot loading drive came out later and Plextor started the numbering at an already higher firmware version. But there are still two upgrades missing for the slot in dirve. Don’t wait for them they won’t come.

[QUOTE=Arrow;1920471]The newest firmware for the 716AL which is 1.02 is the same as FW version 1.09 for the trayloading drive. The reason for this is that the slot loading drive came out later and Plextor started the numbering at an already higher firmware version. But there are still two upgrades missing for the slot in dirve. Don’t wait for them they won’t come.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Arrow.

I agree with you; crossflashing any device with a firmware made for other one is at least dangerous–we will not care if we are speaking about DVD writers or Soekris embedded computers. It is dangerous and will void the warranty on that device, even if both devices “look” similar. Of course, crossflashing a rebranded drive is a different issue but it is not the case between the PX-716A and the slot-loading PX-716AL or UFL drives. Both drives are different ones.

However, to be honest I must say that the owners of the 716 series slot-loading drives feel as being worse treated that the owners of the (less expensive) 716A tray-loading model. With only two firmware upgrades, last one released at the end of 2005, we feel that Plextor is not supporting these slot-loading drives with the same service support they are applying to other drives (either older or more recent ones).

You are right, the difference in timing between both loading mechanisms is very important so firmware releases are not interchangeable. However, there are improvements in the firmware for the tray flavor of the drive that seem important for the PX-716AL and PX-716UFL owners. In fact:

PX-716A/SA/UF V1.10

* Improvements: Write performance on DVD media
* Write performance on CD media
* Fixed a problem reading some DVD media

PX-716A/SA/UF V1.11

* Improvements: Write performance on DVD media
* Write performance on CD media
* Compatibility with Windows Vista

No one of these changes seem related with the tray-loading mechanism; and no one of these changes has been backported to the firmware of the slot-loading drives yet.

The owners of the slot-loading drives should expect the same support level provided to the owners of tray-loading drives; they paid a higher price for these excellent DVD burners.

Yeah the firmware for the slot loading drives should eb updated! But I think Plextor has no firmware programming people left, I am sure they were all thrown out the windows when Plex stopped developping own drives. So there will never be a newer firmware for ANY of the Plextor manufactured drives!

[QUOTE=Arrow;1927243]But I think Plextor has no firmware programming people left, I am sure they were all thrown out the windows when Plex stopped developping own drives. So there will never be a newer firmware for ANY of the Plextor manufactured drives![/QUOTE]

Well, Since 1.08/1.07 for 755/760 came out about a year after the decision to stop own developments at least someone still seems to be there. Also the original press release stated the folks would be reassigned within Shinano Kenshi so i guess the knowledge ist still there but probably only used in form of a hourly or project based need.