Cross flashing

vbimport

I have read several threads mentioning “cross flashing”. Can someone give me a brief explanation or point me to a thread with some information about what it is?

Also is it possible to get better performance from my Sony DRU-720A by cross flashing?

Thank you,
Jim

Hi,

crossflashing means to flash a firmware from another drive (with identical hardware!) to the own drive. Usually, there are device checks in the flashers that need to be overridden in order to flash the other firmware.

Crossflashing might be useful:

[ul]
[li]if you have an OEM drive with limited capabilities (example: Dell had DVD-RAM disabled with their OEM versions some years ago.
[/li][li]if you have an OEM drive that has no firmware update support (unlike the retail version or other OEMs)
[/li][li]if the firmware of another brand’s clone has different features (example: Nexperia Benq and Philips drives - Philips are nearly useless for scanning)
[/li][/ul]
Crossflashing is dangerous:
you need to know what you are doing. If something goes wrong, your drive is dead.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2535712]
you need to know what you are doing. If something goes wrong, your drive is dead.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I would agree but one help don’t do it under warranty otherwise your out $$ for the drive. So if you want to do it go ahead cause your warranty will be voided but out of warranty by all means go ahead.

Definition of Cross flashing:
You flash the drive, it doesn’t work any more, you get cross

(sorry, couldn’t resist that!)

[QUOTE=Matth;2535771]Definition of Cross flashing:
You flash the drive, it doesn’t work any more, you get cross

(sorry, couldn’t resist that!)[/QUOTE]

No problem. You’ve got to have a sense of humor when dealing with computers.

BTW: are you sure “cross-flashing” doesn’t mean two cross-dressers flashing each other? LOL:rolleyes:

I’m sure I don’t want to try cross flashing since everything is working fine.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, right?

Thanks for the information.