Cross Flashing PLDS DH-16acs

Hey whats up guys…new to the forums over here and totally frustrated looking for some advice guidance. I recently bought a dell which came with a PLDS DH-16acs h11b firmware jd11. the steps to crossflashing seem simple enough. I saved my eeprom and also saved my firmware flush. here is where I need you guys to step in.

Im assuming that the drive I have is a clone to an iHas 124, 324, 524 revision c…Am I correct in thinking that? Also if it is a revision c I have no I idea where to get stock firmware for lets say a iHas324c. All the places I find a firmware its some sort of wierd .exe installer instead of just the firmware itself…the flash utility doesnt like that.

There are alot of iHas 324a firmwares I can find ready to flash but I dont think its possible or even advisable to go from a rev c to rev a. So if any of you seasoned veterans can help me out or guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

Hi notoriousdayc and welcome to the forums. :flower:

You can get Liteon firmwares easily enough from here but the most important thing is making sure you’ve got the right model. :wink:

I haven’t been able to find out anything meaningful about that particular drive but perhaps one of the other guys here will know.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=notoriousdayc;2672826]Hey whats up guys…new to the forums over here and totally frustrated looking for some advice guidance. I recently bought a dell which came with a PLDS DH-16acs h11b firmware jd11. the steps to crossflashing seem simple enough. I saved my eeprom and also saved my firmware flush. here is where I need you guys to step in.

Im assuming that the drive I have is a clone to an iHas 124, 324, 524 revision c…Am I correct in thinking that? Also if it is a revision c I have no I idea where to get stock firmware for lets say a iHas324c. All the places I find a firmware its some sort of wierd .exe installer instead of just the firmware itself…the flash utility doesnt like that.

There are alot of iHas 324a firmwares I can find ready to flash but I dont think its possible or even advisable to go from a rev c to rev a. So if any of you seasoned veterans can help me out or guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance :)[/QUOTE]
Hi notoriousdayc,

Flash utility and EEprom utility do not work with the C drives. You DONT have a valid firmware backup with FU.

Please don’t brick your drive trying to crossflash it. Flashing between A, B, C drive firmwares is NOT possible.

thanks alot for the replies. Yeah I was just reading about how rev c cant be crossflashed. I burn xgd3 games so the only reason I was even trying to crossflash it is im getting horrible kprobe scans and dvdinfoPro from the PLDS.
I own this PLDS rev c Ihas rebadge, an optiarc 5280s plus cb, and lg gp4-nb40.

the same game disc was used for all these.
with the Optiarc: I get a dvdinfopro quality rating of 91.65
and k probe doesnt work with this drive.

with the PLDS: I get a dvdinfopro quality rating of 66.48 kprobe is ok when comes to pif max and pif avg but when it comes to pi max and avg its absurd.

lastly with the external lg drive: I got a dvdinfopro quality score of 98.44 and all kprobe results fall under specs except for one spike to about 5.

can anyone explain whats going on here? Secondly do I need a modified fw to run kprobe correctly? How is the LG running the kprobe software if it was only intended for Liteons? Im a bit confused. wasted about 15 verbatims trying to get my settings to fall or come close to the recommended specs but it seems it just might have been my scans all along.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/notoriousdayc/aburn1PLDS_zps0937094e.png

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/notoriousdayc/aburn1ExternalDVDdrive_zps0a2106dc.png

thanks a lot for all the help.

An answer to one question: KProbe works with most drives with a MediaTek chipset, and that model of LG drive may have a supported chipset. Most LiteOn drives sport MediaTek chipsets. The Optiarc, however, has an NEC chipset (may be badged as Renesas). You shouldn’t need a modified firmware to use KProbe, and I don’t think that has been the case for any drive.

Lock the scanning speed to 8x for the full-sized drives, as speeds above that may exaggerate errors on discs that are perfectly fine; “max” is probably fine for the slim LG drive.

The low quality score on the scan with the LiteOn likely comes from the high PIE rate. While this is a bit out of the norm for MKM 001 burns, it’s still not horrible. The poorer rating may also come from the clump of PIF, which is equally abnormal but shouldn’t be a major show-stopper. What’s the write speed you used?

And are you using three different discs in each of the scans–if so, did you use the same drive to scan and burn each one?

well I normally burn mkm-001 at 2x but Ive read using overspeed and 4x results in better kprobe results. This particular burn was at 4x. The results above are all from the same burned dvd just tested on multiple drives to see which one is true cause a range of disc quality from 98 to 66 is a bit much.

Oh and I forgot to add this burn was actually performed on the PLDS dh-16acs using the burnermax payload tool to enable overburning.

All the drives are giving you their true view on the burn, and it’s hard to say which one would be closer to real world results. I’d say that the quality score of 66% is a bit…misleading, but most quality scores are misleading. If you can kind of imagine a combination of all three scans, that’s the true state of the disc-- and it’s not a bad burn. The LiteOn seems to be hardest on itself, which is both good and bad; you can use that drive, and if any discs fail to read back in it, then you might have issues using the disc elsewhere.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t worry. I doubt retail firmware will improve the burning strategy for that particular media such that it looks good on all three drives.

[QUOTE=notoriousdayc;2672857]thanks alot for the replies. Yeah I was just reading about how rev c cant be crossflashed. I burn xgd3 games so the only reason I was even trying to crossflash it is im getting horrible kprobe scans and dvdinfoPro from the PLDS.
I own this PLDS rev c Ihas rebadge, an optiarc 5280s plus cb, and lg gp4-nb40.

the same game disc was used for all these.
with the Optiarc: I get a dvdinfopro quality rating of 91.65
and k probe doesnt work with this drive.

with the PLDS: I get a dvdinfopro quality rating of 66.48 kprobe is ok when comes to pif max and pif avg but when it comes to pi max and avg its absurd.

lastly with the external lg drive: I got a dvdinfopro quality score of 98.44 and all kprobe results fall under specs except for one spike to about 5.

can anyone explain whats going on here? Secondly do I need a modified fw to run kprobe correctly? How is the LG running the kprobe software if it was only intended for Liteons? Im a bit confused. wasted about 15 verbatims trying to get my settings to fall or come close to the recommended specs but it seems it just might have been my scans all along.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/notoriousdayc/aburn1PLDS_zps0937094e.png

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/notoriousdayc/aburn1ExternalDVDdrive_zps0a2106dc.png

thanks a lot for all the help.[/QUOTE]

So I’m super confused here.

Did you crossflash the drive to a lite on ihas C or did you use burnermax payload on the stock dell drive. I have the exact same drive and need to use it…

Flash utility and EEprom utility do not work with the C drives. You DONT have a valid firmware backup with FU.

Please don’t brick your drive trying to crossflash it. Flashing between A, B, C drive firmwares is NOT possible.

he’s asking to crossflash a C to a C… if FU doesn’t work, then how are people crossflashing C drives?

thanks!

[QUOTE=Wombler;2672840]Hi notoriousdayc and welcome to the forums. :flower:

You can get Liteon firmwares easily enough from here but the most important thing is making sure you’ve got the right model. :wink:

I haven’t been able to find out anything meaningful about that particular drive but perhaps one of the other guys here will know.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

That link does not include bins, only .exe’s can’t use those with the utility. Any idea where actual firmware’s are at?