Critique my site

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2570965]You asked for it… :wink:

I agree with what most of others have said about professional look. The first impression is very important. If you offer technical advice (especially web design), the first impression people should get is “That is something I would like to have for myself/my business”.

The first impression is a combination of visual experience (looks and feels) and how things are presented (web address, mail address, business address, etc.).

In business it is invest first, reap later. It is worth investing a bit more in the first impression, people might move on to the next thing otherwise. The investment does not have to be large, but should be effective. Your own domain and corresponding email is a small but effective investment, as already stated by others.

Then the look and feel of the website. In general (my personal preference) I like websites where the home page does not require any scrolling. Try to limit your opening message to a welcome, a few news bites and, by means of carefully selected imaging, a supporting feel of what people can expect to find on your site.

Also, try to avoid people having to click more than 3 times to get to any information on your website. A clear structure with information only a few clicks away will help avoiding people getting bored too soon.

The fading blue in the background is nice. The search bar at the top I would incorporate in the banner of your page, avoid it taking height of your page. The picture in the banner is nice, but perhaps you can make it one wider picture instead of a repetitve picture. Also, I would use a picture with smaller height, it is taking up a lot of the page.

I would try to create some kind of logo for “R and R Digital”, instead of using a bold standard font. The courier font for the text is something that would fit computer stuff, but it is not really a screen font (at least not one of my favorites).

I hope this isn’t too harsh…it is meant to be constructive… I wish you the best in your ventures.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Tax… this is exactly the kind of comments I’m looking for. I was maybe to over focused on keeping it really simple. I’ve see far too many sites with so much Crap that I get tired of waiting for it to load, then
I wonder what it would be like for somebody with slow internet.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2572882]I wonder what it would be like for somebody with slow internet.[/QUOTE]

Since I’m currently using 3G temporarily (out visiting), I decided to give it a quick try to see how long it takes until the page appears fully loaded in Chrome on my Netbook:

Homepage - 6.5 seconds
Sample Photos - 19 seconds

Speed test on my connection:

Note that most visitors will be first time visitors, so the pages will take longer to load than if they were in the browser’s cache from a previous visit.

Thanks Sean.
I will get around to viewing the photos in Fireworks and lower the quality until i start seeing a visual difference, in order to speed up the load time… That part had slipped my mind…

I’m going to try to learn Expression studio and expression web, and play around and build a new site from scratch, using the comments i’ve received to make it a good site.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2572793]I’m sorry, I thought it was more in the vain of “Does this dress make mu butt look fat?”, which I assure you any dress would make my butt look fat, bit I digress.[/QUOTE]
There’s a pretty solid answer to this question; “What makes you feel better about yourself? Wearing it or not wearing it?”

I´m a bit off topic with this one, but I just ran across a site with a collection of photgraphy and Photoshop tips and tutorials…

…might be generally helpful to Rob and anyone else interested in photography.

http://www.smashingapps.com/2011/03/02/45-totally-awesome-tutorials-and-techniques-to-become-a-master-of-photography.html

OK… I learned Web Expression Studio, got a real .com site,and redid the whole thing. So please take a look at the new site http://randrdigital.com Thanks to everyone who commented on the previous site. I’ll welcome any comments, good or bad…

Looks much better Rob.

Using a .com site, the US government may decide to confiscate it though…you’re obviously offering copyright infringement of VHS to dvds!! :bigsmile: Maybe you should put in a caveat somewhere that you don’t work with commercial/copyright protected materials unless they own the copyright.

And no high definition camcorder videos to blu ray? :wink:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2588388]Looks much better Rob.

Using a .com site, the US government may decide to confiscate it though…you’re obviously offering copyright infringement of VHS to dvds!! :bigsmile: Maybe you should put in a caveat somewhere that you don’t work with commercial/copyright protected materials unless they own the copyright.

And no high definition camcorder videos to blu ray? ;)[/QUOTE]

Nah! Let them keep guessing what im doing… lol

<— approves :cool:

Looking good. Rescales perfectly. Perhaps readbility would be better with another background color, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

Yo Rob-

Still NO thong pictures on the site.
(Deano - that is a ‘positive’ - mainly due to the fact that the word “thong” is used in the sentence).

Oh - and the site looks 100% better now-eh.

Nice improvement. :slight_smile:

A few suggestions:

Lighten the background colour. Someone with colour blindness may see this as a deep shade which would make it difficult to read the writing.

On the sample photos page, it may be worth adding a small description of what was fixed, e.g. “Removed border, corrected damage, added colour, improved contrast.” Some users may assume the obvious (e.g. see picture is sharper, no boarder, etc.) but may not realise that a missing part has been filled in or something else special done.

For the PC/Laptop servicing, it mention whether you do home or business (or both) and how you service computers, e.g. if the client must bring their laptop in, mail it to you or if you can remotely service it (e.g. by remote desktop.)

Thanks to everyone for your comments and critiques. My new and improved randrdigital.com, is showing up well in the search engines and I’m happy with the look and content (thus far)…

I was thinking you could improve the search engine ratings a bit more by changing the name to randydigital.com

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2589709]I was thinking you could improve the search engine ratings a bit more by changing the name to randydigital.com

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Im surprised you didn’t suggest that I make it a .xxx site too… I’m sure I would get a lot of hits then…