Critique my site

vbimport

Check out my web site and give positive critiques please…
randrdigital.tech.officelive.com

Thanks!

Just looks like the spam everyone else posts…

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2570459]Just looks like the spam everyone else posts…[/QUOTE]
…and that was Jethro being positive :iagree:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Errrmmm…the typo on the front page has magically gone :eek:
(is that positive?)

I liked the sample photo’s but the actual site is, well uninspiring. it is well laid out but sort of clinical.
You need something that grabs the attention straight away.
How about sprinkling some of the photo’s in the background like a water mark to give visual impact! reduce the text by having areas or buttons that lead to subtext explaining what is on offer.
If you are offering web design then your site has to have a wow factor to impress potential clients.
I hope that your business takes off.

I did a quick visit and the first thing I got was a prompt saying that the site wanted to save a cookie to my PC. All I wanted to do was have a look, not do any shopping. Why the need for a cookie just for me to visit?

I also think changing the white background and black text to something else might help it be a bit more eye appealing. Most likely it’s just the white background that seemed a bit plain to me. It is a nice, non cluttered layout though. Maybe change ‘About Us’ to ‘About R and R Digital’. I’m no web designer though.

RM

Purchasing Advice and Assistance
Don’t let some untrained salesperson talk you into buying too much or too little for what you need.

The wording in the above comes across as…your stupid and just screaming DUMB shopper… and it starts with a contraction…which kinda …is negative…maybe a re-wording like such…

Purchasing Advice and Assistance
Next time you are shopping for any electronic or computer related products, call us for some great advice to give you information which can be used in your best interest.

Yo Rob-

[B]NO[/B] thong pics-eh!!

Sorry dude, but a $5/hour Indian outsourcing company could do better.

If you want a professional business you do not use a msn email adress as contact. You also don’t use free officelive webspace and tools to create your website.

Get some inspiration here.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2570521]Yo Rob-

[B]NO[/B] thong pics-eh!![/QUOTE]

How´s that positive, Mike? Rob wanted POSITIVE criticism!

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2570524]Sorry dude, but a $5/hour Indian outsourcing company could do better.

If you want a professional business you do not use a msn email adress as contact. You also don’t use free officelive webspace and tools to create your website.

Get some inspiration here.[/QUOTE]

This from a guy linking to free operating systems… lol

This works for the time being, as I am trying to pay off some large medical bills, and can’t really afford the other hosting fees and stuff. For that same reason, I wanted to get something up quick to try to start getting some extra income coming in to help. I do know how to code html, and I will eventually do a rewrite. For right now, the quicker I get this up, the quicker I can get me some signage on my vehicle, and start getting some extra dough coming in… When I’m rich and famous, I can pretty up everything and do the real godaddy thing…

well geeze…i commented and got no response :frowning:

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2570583]This from a guy linking to free operating systems… lol[/quote] I didn’t say your operating systems couldn’t be free. :slight_smile:
Only if you want a professional business then you need at least look professional. This doesn’t.

This works for the time being, as I am trying to pay off some large medical bills, and can’t really afford the other hosting fees and stuff. For that same reason, I wanted to get something up quick to try to start getting some extra income coming in to help. I do know how to code html, and I will eventually do a rewrite. For right now, the quicker I get this up, the quicker I can get me some signage on my vehicle, and start getting some extra dough coming in… When I’m rich and famous, I can pretty up everything and do the real godaddy thing…
Even a gmail adress looks a bit better than an msn address. And there are plenty of reference sites that you can use to get a better (sub)domain name for your site.

My main advice would be to get your own domain name to start with. Shop around, as there are plenty of hosting/domain providers that will get you a domain name, hosting space and e-mail addresses ending in your domain for under $100 a year. Webpage speed and technical support vary depending on the price, but for a small site like this, something like Siteground should be fine.

This will look a lot more professional than any free e-mail address / hosting service. For example, I would never do business with a website who’s clearly using a free host/e-mail unless I was recommended that person.

I do appreciate ALL of the input (especially yours, Dana), and I will be revamping everything and setting a better domain as time goes on.

[QUOTE=Seán;2570732]My main advice would be to get your own domain name to start with. Shop around, as there are plenty of hosting/domain providers that will get you a domain name, hosting space and e-mail addresses ending in your domain for under $100 a year. [/QUOTE]
Under $30 easy I got a domain name a few weeks ago for $8 and unlimited hosting for $12/year from here. Hosting is pretty cheap now and like the others said get rid of that awful msn address and web link.

You asked for it… :wink:

I agree with what most of others have said about professional look. The first impression is very important. If you offer technical advice (especially web design), the first impression people should get is “That is something I would like to have for myself/my business”.

The first impression is a combination of visual experience (looks and feels) and how things are presented (web address, mail address, business address, etc.).

In business it is invest first, reap later. It is worth investing a bit more in the first impression, people might move on to the next thing otherwise. The investment does not have to be large, but should be effective. Your own domain and corresponding email is a small but effective investment, as already stated by others.

Then the look and feel of the website. In general (my personal preference) I like websites where the home page does not require any scrolling. Try to limit your opening message to a welcome, a few news bites and, by means of carefully selected imaging, a supporting feel of what people can expect to find on your site.

Also, try to avoid people having to click more than 3 times to get to any information on your website. A clear structure with information only a few clicks away will help avoiding people getting bored too soon.

The fading blue in the background is nice. The search bar at the top I would incorporate in the banner of your page, avoid it taking height of your page. The picture in the banner is nice, but perhaps you can make it one wider picture instead of a repetitve picture. Also, I would use a picture with smaller height, it is taking up a lot of the page.

I would try to create some kind of logo for “R and R Digital”, instead of using a bold standard font. The courier font for the text is something that would fit computer stuff, but it is not really a screen font (at least not one of my favorites).

I hope this isn’t too harsh…it is meant to be constructive… I wish you the best in your ventures.

I kinda like it, probably it looks too “easy” for most users but its plain and straight.

You guys are so hard!! I am sure if I would have clicked the link I would have liked it just fine!!

[QUOTE=Zathros;2572689]You guys are so hard!! I am sure if I would have clicked the link I would have liked it just fine!![/QUOTE] It’s called critique for a reason. I think most of us have seen lots and lots of websites and all have an solid opinion on how a website should look like.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2572705]It’s called critique for a reason. I think most of us have seen lots and lots of websites and all have an solid opinion on how a website should look like.[/QUOTE]
I’m sorry, I thought it was more in the vain of “Does this dress make mu butt look fat?”, which I assure you any dress would make my butt look fat, bit I digress.