Crippled Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pros

vbimport

I have a Sapphire Atlantis 9800 Pro. Should I be worried?

http://www.boycottsapphire.com/

How do I test to see if my card is the real deal? Or is this just another hoax?

ATI is a HUGE company, and I do not think they would undergo a scandal like this and ruin their reputation of many years.

The most I would believe is in stores, such as little stores or small mom and pop shops selling faulty or cripled cards, but I am sure if you buy from a major distributor or ATI themselves, you will not get “tricked” into buying a bad card.

Did you catch what he’s saying? He’s not talking about an ATI OEM/Retail card, but a Sapphire OEM/Retail card. 3rd party card makers don’t necessarily follow ATI’s reference design, and when they can save some money by putting in slower memory, they will.

I’d compare your 3DMark scores to people w/ similar system to yours.

And if you’re really paranoid, simply return the card buy one that’s made by ATI.

AFAIK, the reason for Sapphire’s Radeon 9800 Pros underperforming is because they use a 128 bit memory pipeline instead of a 256 bit one, and it has a slower clock speed.

Read the comments at NewEgg.

This is a crippled version of the 9800 Pro. It clocks at 325/580 instead of 380/680. It also only uses a 128 bit memory interface, instead of 256 bit, so it is MUCH slower, ie half the pipeline. It … See complete review>
This is a crippled version of the 9800 Pro. It clocks at 325/580 instead of 380/680. It also only uses a 128 bit memory interface, instead of 256 bit, so it is MUCH slower, ie half the pipeline. It is probably on par with a 9600. You get what you pay for.

And if you’re really paranoid, simply return the card buy one that’s made by ATI.

I wish I could. It’s a bit late to return my card by now :frowning:

I don’t mind comparing 3D Mark scores too…my system is a retail AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton, 1024MB Crucial DDR400 RAM (2x512), Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, ABit NF-7 mobo.

Is there any utility I can use to directly determine the gfx card’s memory bandwidth and its clock speed? I tried SiSoft Sandra but it doesn’t give that detailed info.

Man, that sucks. Well, you can start at Rage3D.com, home of ATI freaks. Their Rage3D Tweak is real helpful. For more info ask in their forum.

I had a similar problem trying to tell if a GF 5200 had a 64 or 128 bit bus width. After hours of searhing I finally found a program called RivaTuner. It can tell you the bus width. :iagree:

Sapphire has responded to this at http://rage3d.com/
they also have info on it at there site http://www.sapphiretech.com/
hope it helps.

I’m glad to see they did the right thing even though it is’t directly ther fault that other distributors are falsely selling their product. This in my book is a sign of a comapny that tries to meet customer satisfaction needs.

Direct link for anyone wanting more info on the 128-bit fiasco. At least Sapphire is making some soft of an effort to clear things up.