Creatives cd rom drive

vbimport

hello
i have a Creatives infra 52x audio excel cd rom drive and i have this problem where no matter what cd i put in the drive it ejects it out after attempting to read it. At first i thought it was just that it could not read cd-rs but then when i put an original normal cd in it still ejected it out
any ideas?
thanx :slight_smile:

Is this happening with ALL cd’s, from what you have said the answer is yes;)

Is the drive spinning the cd (you should be able to hear it)??

If the drive is spitting the cd back out then it probably isn’t reading the TOC contained on the CD so it doesn’t even know its there. If the drive is spinning the suspect the laser unit. Either way you are probably going to need a new drive.

:rolleyes:

ummms well i tink it is trying to read the cd, because there is that little flashing light showing that the cd rom is doing something but it makes that weird noise like as if its stopped itself from reading the cd (it does that like 5 times then it ejects)

if i hav to replace the cd rom drive wat good brand are out there that will last a while… this one only lasted me less than a year while my old computer has a cd rom that has lasted 4 years:(

If all CDS are getting ejected, then 99% chance its hardware problem.

2 senarios.

a) laser is dirty, do a search on www.google.com for posible ways/products for cleaning

b) the laser unit is dead.

Either way, its usualy easier to buy a new drive, they are that cheap now days.

Believe me, you want to get rid of that CD-ROM! I had one for six months, I was trying to make it go faster that the desparing speed of 12x… I tried everything. Finally I changed it. If you’re going to buy a new drive go for a DVD-ROM they’re maybe a little bit more expensive but the worth their extra money. Most of times are more reliable (but quite slower).

Originally posted by RedHatted
Believe me, you want to get rid of that CD-ROM! I had one for six months, I was trying to make it go faster that the desparing speed of 12x… I tried everything. Finally I changed it. If you’re going to buy a new drive go for a DVD-ROM they’re maybe a little bit more expensive but the worth their extra money. Most of times are more reliable (but quite slower).

Toshiba DVD is sworn to be one of the best readers by many visitors to this forum.
(incase you take redhatted’s advise)