Creative Zen X-fi format (Creative Zen 32GB)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Creative Zen 32GB. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been using the free version of DVDFAB to convert my dvd files to a format suitable to watch on my Creative Zen X-Fi and cannot find one that plays using the maximum screen size available. (They cut off parts of the sides and more of the top/bottom than it should).

Does anyone know of a good tool or which function in DVDFAB’s options that would help convert .vob to xvid to the screen size I need. (Not sure of dimensions i’ve tried to find pixel lxwxh somewhere – screen is 2.5 inch (320x180 I believe)

I’ve read that XVID is the best format it supports and i’ve been trying to find a good conversion tool, I’m hoping DVDFAB does it and i’m just overlooking something because this software is really nice all in one kinda tool!

Nevermind, figured it out. Great software.

hi,

We have add this to our todo list. :slight_smile:

Thanks your suggestion.

I use DVDFab to convert films for my daughters Creative Zen. The screen & playback capabilities of this are the same as your more modern Zen X-fi, so these settings should work for you. I use a profile that I hacked from one of the existing PVP profiles (attached) and the following options;

2 pass
310kbps fixed rate
320 x ??? resolution (whatever vertical resolution is needed to keep the film in proportion)
Framerate: same as source
Audio 128Kbps & 105% volume
2 pass conversion (this improves the quality a lot)

I find this gives very good picture & sound quality, without making the file size bigger than is necessary (for a 2.5” 4:3 screen).

It takes about 1.5 hours to convert a film on my 2 GHz Pentium M equipped laptop and I find the quality, speed & convenience of DVDFab better than any other conversion software I have tried (Super, PocketDivXEncoder & D2Video

Do you ever have problems with sound not matching the video?

When I’m using my DVDFAB to shrink videos sometimes after awhile (about half way through a 2 hr video) The sound will start before the people move their mouths.

When I play the video in windows the sound matches up just fine, but when I move it to my Zen it somehow gets jumbled. Anyone else have the same issue or know what i can do to fix it? It doesnt seem like a problem with the software because its working in windows.

Anyway just ran into this problem will continue trying to bug fix any suggestions would help thanks.

I can’t say I have had any problems with the sound not matching the video yet, but these problems do seem to surface from time to time with DVDFab (and are fixed). If you have any problematic films (or versions of DVDFab), try ripping with DVDFab, then compressing with PocketDivXEncoder, as that has a post encoding option to ‘Correct Audio / Video synchronization’.

[QUOTE=poondoggy;2179572][qanda]This thread is about the Creative Zen 32GB. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been using the free version of DVDFAB to convert my dvd files to a format suitable to watch on my Creative Zen X-Fi and cannot find one that plays using the maximum screen size available. (They cut off parts of the sides and more of the top/bottom than it should).

Does anyone know of a good tool or which function in DVDFAB’s options that would help convert .vob to xvid to the screen size I need. (Not sure of dimensions i’ve tried to find pixel lxwxh somewhere – screen is 2.5 inch (320x180 I believe)

I’ve read that XVID is the best format it supports and i’ve been trying to find a good conversion tool, I’m hoping DVDFAB does it and i’m just overlooking something because this software is really nice all in one kinda tool![/QUOTE]

Barry. :cool:

I second pocketdivxencoder… download the beta version seems a lot better
than the steady version and not had any problems. Also download the template generator to make a creative x-fi template settings that i use by default are ;

Size - 320x240 . for movies choose resize option and change the right hand slider till your happy with whats cut off with the top and bottom black bars

Video bitrate - 360kps (up to 1mb is compatible )
Framerate - movies 24fps , pal 25 fps , ntsc 30fps … 24 seems to work but you will get a little bit of lip synching if you have to pause the movie or fast forward (didnt get so much of this on the vision m , but thats not fussy with movie format)

Audio 44.1hz 128kbps

Advanced Options - 2 Pass (gives slightly crisper outputs and takes a little longer)

Tick Xvid …

this will output a movie roughly 430mb … drop the video bitrate and you can get it down to 250 but quality wont be as good… tv shows are around 70-90mb

All in all a great little program … haven’t tried vobs or MKV’s but the changelog shows that these are compatible but dont quote me on it.

settings for creative zen

select dvd to mobile
select xbox 360 option
change bitrate to 500 (min) or 736 (max)
max resolution is 320x240
max audio is 160 kbps
set audio to stereo
Framerate same as source. max compatible is 30
one pass works fine. 2 pass shows little difference
click start and wait

[QUOTE=poondoggy;2179613]Nevermind, figured it out. Great software.[/QUOTE]

How do you do it. I’ve been having the same problem

[QUOTE=williwm1;2523725]How do you do it. I’ve been having the same problem[/QUOTE]

Hi williwm1 and welcome to MyCE. :flower:

The post above yours has full instructions so I’m not sure what you need beyond this.

[B]Wombler[/B]