Creative setup claims I don't have any Soundblaster

I bought a Live 5.1 Digital and it works, Windows sees it and installed the drivers by itself yet Creatives own setup gives me this odd message.
The card sits alone at IRQ 19 and I’ve disabled the onboard sound in BIOS.
What do I do know? Do I want something on that CD besides the drivers that are already installed?

Is this from the original setup cd or from their on line auto setup update wizard (similar to windows update)? The on line one did the same thing to me, its buggy, and it screwed things up so bad it took me 2 days to get it working.

If this si happening from the original cd, thats just extremely baffling.

Its the original disc. The online thingy finds my card just fine.
I tried switching IRQ but it didnt do anything. I’m very :confused: , :eek: and a little :frowning:
Okay now I switched PCI slot, didnt make any difference.

Soundlaster is crap, buy a 1000$ yamaha card which rocks!

… LOL dont you just hate this kind of responses :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, did a bit of searching and all i could find was trouble for SB Live and XP. Most sources indicated that the software provided does not run in XP anyway and the support people have no intention updating it either. Maybe you’re better off with XP’s native drivers.

Perhaps this can help a bit though i doubt it.

Have you tried installing the software without having Windows recognising the card?

Hmm yes I remember these kinds of problems with my Live and Audigy 1 card… so I installed the hacked Audigy 2 drivers (on a Live, yes) and the card worked fine with all software…

Maybe that’s worth a try?

Yup the Audigy 2 drivers work. As always the hackers provide better support than Creative :slight_smile:
Thing is I got “computer has been restored after a serious problem” dialog box every time on startup after the audigy 2 drivers… Little annoying.

the sb live 5.1 drivers work under xp ok. My other system has a live 5.1 and they work no problems. I noticed you said it installs the windows drivers? DON"T let it do that. click cancel when it wants to do that and then install the creative drivers then go update the drivers with the update pack(LiveDrvUni-Pack ) i assumed your in europe.

oh one more thing try install the card as far away from the video card as possible the live 5.1 i noticed likes to take the video card irq resources.

Wow, this is strange. I solved the problem by performing ancient voodoo rituals while playing hip 80’s workout music.

Actually I have no idea what I did, but now for some reason the CD installed. After some 25 reboots (which annoyed the hell out of everyone on my MSN-list) and tinkering with various drivers, patches, hacks and swapping of cards (we have two) it somehow worked out.

Now I’ll return this card to my dear dad and put in my card tomorrow, and when I compared the two I noticed that mine lacks CD-in, alot of capacitators and some other connections.
Yet both claim to be “SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 5.1 DIGITAL” on the PCB. Must be a new revision or something but why dont they print that out? Strange company.

Now I’ll return this card to my dear dad and put in my card tomorrow, and when I compared the two I noticed that mine lacks CD-in, alot of capacitators and some other connections.
Yet both claim to be “SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 5.1 DIGITAL” on the PCB. Must be a new revision or something but why dont they print that out? Strange company.

like most other companies i suppose. when they release it cheap, they cut most of the features of things which really sucks. i bought a mobo a while ago that was supposed to have raid and onboard sound but when i got the thing and opened it none of that was on it and half the chips weren’t there(i was really hungry too :wink: ) :confused: (bastards)

Although its a belated question, what CPU/Mobo/chipset were you trying to run the card under? From some postings I’ve seen around the place they especially seem to have issues with VIA chipsets.

I own a SB LiveDE5.1 & it worked fine under my dual O/S of Win98 & XP. I’ve been told the default XP drivers are the more stable,although the Creative CD+updated Creative LiveDriver pack have,(touch wood!), still functioned fine thus far.

You might not be able to change the IRQ’s assigned by XP, by default XP’s installation automatically controls IRQ’s assignments. (Any IRQ changes you’d assigned in the BIOS for example).
During XP’s setup when it prompts to “Hit F6 to install 3rd party RAID/SCSI drivers”, Hit F7 & it automatically disables installation of ACPI Hardware-Abstraction-Layer,(HAL),& installs a standard PC HAL layer instead,(& will follow any BIOS assignments of IRQ settings.

look for a code near the upper right corner of the card

if its a creative retail card it will be ctxxxx (some number) if its an oem card it will usually be sbxxxx. If its an sb it sometimes uses different identifiers in the inf files which makes the retail drivers not recognize. just type in that sbxxxx number into google or something and do a search for the drivers there (i wish they were like nvidia drivers where they worked with em all)

note the oem ones are still made by creative just the drivers dont normally work.

Also some of the bundled cards (ie card + speakers) are the oem cards even if they are a creative bundle (like the sb0100 and sb0200 cards which identify as sblives)

Hmm, I’ll take a look at that next time I vacuum my case… :slight_smile:

I found the problem now. I got a bit tired of my crowded C: drive so I decided to format it, and this time I installed the Creative drivers before installing the VIA Hypherion drivers.
As Phooey suggested, it is indeed a compability issue between the VIA drivers and Creatives setup.
So that’s the solution if you get the same problem people, uninstall VIA drivers and install your soundblaster then reinstall VIA drivers.

Glad the brainstorming was of some help, you’d think Creative & VIA would’ve gotten their acts together by now.