Creative Nomad Jukebox 2 or Archos Jukebox?

i am gonna buy a hdd based mp3 player.

which one of this shall i buy ?

Creative Nomad Jukebox 2 or Archos Jukebox (with similar specs)???

Everyone still says the iPod does it best. Quiet, light, great sound quality. If you have the cash, I would recommend it. Two of my friends have it, they both love it. I think one has a 5GB and the other a 10GB.

I have a Jukebox 2 and am very pleased with it. Thought it did everything I wanted and was cheaper than the Jukebox3.

(Also like the increased battery life, states 16hrs, and I knew that if I went for the JB3 then I’d just have to buy the optional extra battery to double life from 11hrs to 22hr - would just have been too tempting - thus, JB2 was a good compromise).

ipod is more expensive, and if able to afford it then also consider the Creative Zen - looks like the ipod but more storage, 2 different models (Firewire or USB2), and supports WMA (if that matters to you).
(A few of the reviews of the Zen I’ve seen don’t seem to cover it fairly, for some unknown reason, and have marked it down as “good product, but too expensive” - which hardly makes sense when all the similar spec. alternatives cost more!)

@adam.mt

Thanks for the info.

I thought Jukebox 2 supported WMA files too.

Does the JB2 reach the stated battery life?

I am going to buy it from London.

Where did you buy from? For how much?

If possible also let me know the place where the price is cheapest. Local shops & online malls both will do.

Shall I also buy a PCI USB 2.0 expansion card as my Asus board supports only USB 1.1 ? - If yes which one ?

Lot of questions ??? :bigsmile:

darshanjog…you ever tried transferring gigabytes of data at USB 1.1 speeds? You’re going to want a 2.0 card. I can’t really reccomend one, but try to go with a brandname you know, ie adaptec, etc.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
darshanjog…you ever tried transferring gigabytes of data at USB 1.1 speeds? You’re going to want a 2.0 card. I can’t really reccomend one, but try to go with a brandname you know, ie adaptec, etc.

When transferring loads of files, the USB 1.1 interface is a real pain, but if you only put a few files on it, so every now and then, the speed of usb 1.1 should not be a real problem.

I’d however take the iPod: it transfers really fast (FireWire), can act as an external harddisk and can run Linux :cool:

Cheapest USB 2.0 PCI cards will cost about US$5.

Jukebox 2 is USB2 connection so will work with either a USB1.1 or USB2.0 port (the former at 12Mbps, the latter at 480Mbps). (Note: Mbps= Megabits per second, i.e. divide by 8 to get megabytes per second).

In practice it’s about the same speed as Firewire, but miles faster than USB1.

Bought mine from dabs.com, using a link they provided in one of their e-mail newsletters. These are a good idea to subscribe to since (very) occasionally you are offerred better deals than shown on the website (as this was - about £165 if I remember correctly). Sorry, but don’t have the e-mail or link anymore.
(remember UK has a ‘nice’ 17.5% purchase tax)

Purchased a USB2 port from Maplins (www.maplin.co.uk) for about £25. It consists of both a 2 port USB2 PCI card and a 3.5" drive bay to fit in the front of your PC to offer a further 3 ports. Although unbranded it features an NEC chipset and works perfectly under WinXP.

(I’m based in the UK, I see you’re in India. I’m unsure whether you’ll be best buying locally or online from say UK, USA, or Singapore. Afraid you’ll have to investigate this yourself).

Not really tested the battery life yet I’m afraid, but it properly doesn’t ‘quite’ live up to the manufacturer’s specs, and thus likely to be a few hours short. (This is a common occurrence with all devices from all manufacturers - nobody ever finds a laptop battery to last as long as claimed, or a printer to actually produce output at the quoted page per minute speed).

Hope this helps.

Oh, less the JB2 does support WMA (as well as MP3).

For greater capacity (20GB) and a Firewire interface (say if you have an Audigy soundcard) consider the dearer Jukebox 3. For portability and coolness perhaps the Creative Zen (which is available in separate USB2 or Firmwire interfaces).

Remember the Archos devices are only USB1.1, unless you purchase an adapter (and even then I’m not sure you’ll get the quoted speed). Also their battery life appears quite a bit worse.

Thank you all for your response.

@adam.mt

I’ll buy the USB 2.0 PCI card in India. Anyone has a recomendation for a specific brand?

Is purchasing reliable from Amazon UK. They are selling it for 149GBP. I don’t know whether the price inclusive of VAT or not. However, it doesn’t matter as I will claim a refund of VAT like I always do.

Locally, the Jukebox will cost a fortune (its way up than prices in UK & Hong Kong/Singapore.)

Battery Life: Even if it doesn’t reach the rated of 16 hours, 10+ hours is enough for me.

How is your PCI 2.0 card with 3.5" bay working? Do you know the brand? This will help me check if it is available locally here. Tried searching the link you gave but couldn’t find. I must have skipped it somewhere.

The USB2 card is unbranded, as stated.

It is on the Maplins site (search for product code A78AF) however I now see it’s had a huge hike in price to £39.99. I guess it must of been on special offer when I purchased it. Thus, you’d be better of going for a card available locally.

Amazon UK price seems to be good (better than when I purchased form dabs.com). Do they ship internationally? Oh, the price is inclusive of VAT so you’ll be able to claim it back - therefore making it even cheaper!

Doesn’t matter even if they don’t ship internationally.

I am going to take the delivery in London.

I’ll check out the USB 2.0 PCI card locally.

Hey Darshan
A Jukebox 2 will run you around 30K here. I have a 20GB Ipod ( :bigsmile: ) and I suggest you look into Adaptec or Pinnacle USB 2 / IEEE1394 cards. They should run you about Rs 1000-1500 at Lamington Road

Originally posted by Bhairav
Hey Darshan
A Jukebox 2 will run you around 30K here. I have a 20GB Ipod ( :bigsmile: ) and I suggest you look into Adaptec or Pinnacle USB 2 / IEEE1394 cards. They should run you about Rs 1000-1500 at Lamington Road

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look at Lamington Road as soon as I get my hands on that Nomad Jukbebox 2.

I didn’t know that Pinnacle also manufactuered USB 2.0 PCI Cards. I thought they were only into TV Tuners & Video Capture Cards. :slight_smile:

I got say my Archos i bought 5 years ago was the best!
It still works fine even tho’ i’ve dropped in down 3 sets of stairs one of which were concrete, the only thing i’ve had to do was swap the batterys which was easy as there were AA alki’s. Points against tho’ are it sometimes crashes probably due to shocks and the HD nearing its end and the fact the paints now coming off . . .
. . . which is the reason i’ve order an ipod :wink: as Archos have moved more into the video players instead of mp3 players; also i would say i don’t like creative stuff they’ve never been the “best” at anything . . .

My Nomad Jukebox 2 is still going strong. No problems. Even I’ve dropped it quite a few times.

^Ooh… got an iRiver h140. BEAUTIFUL… does FLAC, ogg, OTF playlists, LCD remote. Love it!

Cool man. You got it at Lamington Road ?

What price?