Creative MediaSource database

Hi all,

Does anyone have any clue about how to open the Creative MediaSource database, bypassing Creative MediaSource? Microsoft Access looks like it might open it but asks for a password, which of course I don’t have. There’s a ‘JetFileBackup’ sub-directory also so maybe there’s a jet routine that will open it, though I think MS Access uses the jet database engine.

The database file is C:\Documents and Settings<user>\Application Data\Creative\Media Database\PCML_1.dpm

Thanks.

Don’t have that password, was actually just looking for it myself and found your post. I’m trying to do a mass-move from one location (“C:\Jukebox”) to another (“H:”), and the options within MediaSource just don’t seem to be there. It’d take me two seconds if I just get into the database propper.

Access 97 runtime doesn’t recognize the database format. Which means that the format is at least as recent as Access 2000. And that (sigh) means the password is quite possibly strongly encrypted.

Microsoft Jet 4.0 is both the file-format for stored Microsoft Access databases and the native variation of SQL that is peculiar to Microsoft Access. Or, more propperly, to the redistributable libraries that drive portions of it. MediaSource shares the same underlying database engine. The file-extension on the MediaSource database file-names are non-standard, but that’s probably just meant to throw casual users off the trail and/or redirect the Windows shell to MediaSource instead of Access when anyone double-clicks on the file.

I’ve submitted a support ticket to Creative’s customer support concerning trying to do just what I’ve described above. Not optimistic that anything will come of it. My experience with customer service centers lately is that anyone trying to go beyond the bounds of the tightly controlled “customer experience” isn’t given any encouragement. I tried to get Audible to tell me how to instruct their download manager to stop restoring its shortcuts into my Start menu every time I ran it. (I reorganized my menus by verb instead of noun. Funny how much easier it is to use that way.) I got told that there was no way to do it and they weren’t considering making any way to do it, it was there to ensure more consistent customer experience when calling customer support. (Translation: it takes eleven steps to describe how to get to the actual download manager executable, but only three to describe how to get to where they placed it on the Start menu – so I’m guessing they save an average of 2 minutes per support call for a certain common issue.) Creative isn’t Audible, but I’m betting the incentive for describing to customers how to monkey with their app’s database is pretty low compared to the incentive to keep novices from shooting themselves in the foot. (There are way more semi-skilled novices in the world than highly-skilled users. And trust me on this one: some days, when I’m low on sleep, the distinction isn’t all that clear.)