Creative dvd-rom

i have a creative 12x dvd-rom and a lite-on 12x burner.

when i use the creative dvd to make a image of a playstation game with clonecd or cdrwin i stops at 73% and just’s stops or
produces an error? when i use the lite-on to make the image
it works???, i have tried different setting in clonecd, is there some
(hardware) protection inside the creative DVD rom drive??

Nope don’t think so. My guess is that your PSX game is a little scratched or damaged and your Liteon is just a better reader than the Creative (writers are overall better readers)…

i also think that the liteon is a better reader.

I want to buy a new DVD-rom “reader”, wich is the best to use
for reading “protecteced” PSX games:

toshiba DVD-ROM
Matsushita SR-8586 DVD-ROM
Lite-on 163 DVD-ROM

?? i read that the matsushita is the fasted, but on the clonecd site
they recommend toshiba’s

I have a Toshiba and they’re recommended because they can read the SubChannel Data correctly (and full). Don’t know a whole lot about the other DVD’s but I can surely recommend a Tosh. I love mine :slight_smile: If you do decide to go out and buy one look for the SD-M1602. I have the 1502 model and that one is a little slow with SafeDisc (it gets there though).

The only bad thing about this DVD is the slow DVD ripping speed. But that’s about the only bad thing I can think of.

I am gonna buy the LiteOn 163. At first I wanted the Toshiba, but after reading reviews on the LiteOn and Toshiba, I decided to switch to the LiteOn…

SubChannel 96 -> LiteOn does that as well
DAE -> one of the fastest DAE rippers while the Toshiba is almost the slowest… (40x vs 8x)
Regionfree -> LiteOn needs firmware hack, but is available while for the Toshiba almost certainly not, at least I could not find them :slight_smile:

When you search CDfreaks, you can find a post of somebody who points to a review of the LiteOn. Google should also give enough results.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
Regionfree -> LiteOn needs firmware hack, but is available while for the Toshiba almost certainly not, at least I could not find them :slight_smile:
My Tosh SD-M1502 is region free (hacjed firmware 1012). I don’t know the Liteon DVD’s so thanks for the info but I’ll stick to my Tosh though :p. It has never let me down and for DAE I use my Plextor which is also very fast…