Creating an ISO

vbimport

Hi all. I’m getting ready to leave for the holiday and instead of hauling a lot of cds, I’d prefer just to make an iso of a few and load them on my virtual drive. Is ImgBurn capable of this or how would I go about doing this if it is not?

Thanks in advance,
Wy

Are you talking about audio cds? If so, ImgBurn will not make an ISO file from them, even if you set it specifically to do so. It will give you a Yodaesque reply saying you cannot fool it and it will only make a .bin file from your cd. The bin file can be mounted in a virtual drive, but cannot be played as far as I can tell.

Why not rip them to the hard drive as .wav files using EAC? EAC can make an audio cd into one file (cd image), or as individual files. But that is about the extent of my knowledge using EAC…audio is not my subject. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/rip_cds_with_exact_audio_copy.cfm

Wait a bit and t0nee1, olyteddy, Whappo et al will show up to give you a more informed reply.

As Kerry suggested, Why don’t you rip your cd’s to the HD. Be it wav,flac, MP3 etc.

Then the answer to your question is yes Imgburn is capable of building the Iso for you.

Use the create file image from file/folders options
Gather appropriate files to make the image
Make the image
Burn the image as data
Then you will be able to mount the image with a virtual drive, open and play your music files with whatever software you use to play the files.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2558311]Are you talking about audio cds? If so, ImgBurn will not make an ISO file from them, even if you set it specifically to do so. It will give you a Yodaesque reply saying you cannot fool it and it will only make a .bin file from your cd. The bin file can be mounted in a virtual drive, but cannot be played as far as I can tell.

Why not rip them to the hard drive as .wav files using EAC? EAC can make an audio cd into one file (cd image), or as individual files. But that is about the extent of my knowledge using EAC…audio is not my subject. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/rip_cds_with_exact_audio_copy.cfm

Wait a bit and t0nee1, olyteddy, Whappo et al will show up to give you a more informed reply.[/QUOTE]
Hi Kerry - Yes I should have been more clear. I’m speaking of audio cds. I’ll check out the link you suggested.

For audio CDs I think that ISO is not the best format to store them in your HDD.

I agree with Kerry to use EAC to rip the entire disc or only selected tracks on HDD. To save space, you can also consider to compress the audio files with a lossless codec (like FLAC or APE) or with the classic LAME to make mp3 :slight_smile:

Agree with poster(s) above :iagree:…Rip to HDD using flac or MP3 if you prefer…
[B]IMO[/B], there really is no reason to chug-along even a single CD these days…Just play them from your HDD…You can also backup to a USB device and plug it in with all your selected tracks…[I]If[/I] you [I]must[/I], that is!..
Again if you must have a physical CD, that you’re going to mount, I’d burn a data cd with as many mp3’s as will fit your 700mb disc…easily over 100+ tracks…
Slightly off-topic, but this is precisely why I purchased a car CD player with USB support…It plays MP3/AAC/WMA from not only my Pod, but from other USB sticks…
Good luck!..:slight_smile:

Some players can also use an SD card with audio files.
ImgBurn can also burn an Audio CD as well as a data CD.
You do need to add some codecs if you want ImgBurn to burn an Audio CD from other than .wav or .mp3 .
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2558311]…it will only make a .bin file from your cd. The bin file can be mounted in a virtual drive, but cannot be played as far as I can tell.
[/QUOTE]ImgBurn does also create the appropriate cue file.
Mounting that one the Audio CD image is playable without any problems.

^Ah, but you have to start off making a cue file, which is a slightly different process in ImgBurn than making an ISO.

I was just amused at ImgBurn telling me off for trying to do something it didn’t want to do.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2558417]^Ah, but you have to start off making a cue file…
[/QUOTE]You mean as an extra step ?
I am asking because when the user chooses the (for an Audio CD inappropriate) ISO format,
after the Yoda prompt the cue file will be generated automatically at the end of bin image creation.

When I use ImgBurn I just create a .cue with Tools/Create cue file .
Then I put the .wav files ripped with EAC in the Description window.

Hmm, VirtualClone Drive won’t let me mount the cue file I made along with that bin file. Which virtual drive are you using Terramex?

I’ve only tried with DAEMON Tools.

btw. like the current paid Pro/Net versions next DAEMON Tools lite release will have the
option to create virtual drives without installing the SPTD access layer.

To anyone that uses EAC. Ok I hope this makes sense as I’m trying to figure out the correct way to ask the question.

How come external compression options don’t “stick/save” when switching to a different one? For example, when I first went through the configuration wizard, I set it up to use flac. Then I wanted to test it using the Lame MP3 encoder so when I went to select the option in passing scheme dropdown box, I noticed the path of the flac.exe was still in the program path line and the additional command line options were missing.

Do you have manually change these options every time you switch encoders or is there a way to get your options to remain? Seems like an ok program so far but something more simple would be easier. I’m doing some basic testing and trying to get a feel for the program for now.

Hope I’m making sense.

Wyman

It’s not an “ok” proggie, it actually is a very good one…You just need to experiment and learn how to use it…First thing I’d do is visit the EAC forums…Anyhow, yes you do have to manually set up a compression scheme for your goal format, then go to the top menu bar to EAC->Profiles-> and Save the profile for current sheme…Next time ‘Load’ the profile…
There is another very good ripper, dBpoweramp, and IMO it’s user-friendlier.It’s trialware, but some of the functions remain after the trial expires,(i.e. some conversion(s), features and including the ripper w/o PerfectMeta access…Try it out, if you like…
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame
http://www.digital-inn.de/forum14/
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

t0nee1 ; Good tip on using EAC profiles worked fine. I had my settings is a notepad that I copied & pasted manually.
smileychgo try this in Additional command-line options : for LAME .mp3’s
-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta “%a” --tt “%t” --tg “%m” --tl “%g” --ty “%y” --tn “%n” -m s %s %d
or
-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta “%a” --tt “%t” --tg “%m” --tl “%g” --ty “%y” --tn “%n” -m j %s %d

@smileychgo
Using images compared with single WAV/FLAC/MP3 files IMO is generally no question of “better or worse” - depends on the hearing habits / music styles (and hard disk size ;)).
I’m mostly listening complete albums, hence i’m fine with using images. So returning to your original question:
if you’re using a virtual drive capable of mounting cue sheets ImgBurn can do the job for you.

P.S.: when i need single tracks i usually also use EAC, sometimes even Windows Media Player for WAVs and MP3 (CBR).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/rip-a-cd

[QUOTE=Terramex;2558798]@smileychgo
Using images compared with single WAV/FLAC/MP3 files IMO is generally no question of “better or worse” - depends on the hearing habits / music styles (and hard disk size ;)).
[B]I’m mostly listening complete albums[/B], hence i’m fine with using images. So returning to your original question:
if you’re using a virtual drive capable of mounting cue sheets ImgBurn can do the job for you.

P.S.: when i need single tracks i usually also use EAC, sometimes even Windows Media Player for WAVs and MP3 (CBR).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/rip-a-cd[/QUOTE]

Once ripped, whether individual tracks or single image w/ CUE sheet, you can easily import the CUE in say foobar2k and play the entire album as individual tracks (yes I know,that’s what playlists are for) and even convert/and save to individual tracks if you prefer…There really is no need to mount with a VD…
I have no probs importing Imgburn Cue file(s) in f2k and listening/converting whatever track(s) from a single album…However YMMV…
And guess what, all things being equal, playback from both the image and individual tracks is, well–identical…Go figure!..:wink:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2558809]And guess what, all things being equal, playback from both the image and individual tracks is, well–identical…Go figure!..;)[/QUOTE]Did i claim something else ?
I just pointed out that for my hearing habits mounting an image has no disadvantage - maybe also for smileychgo’s …especially considering he initially asked for that method.

If you prefer foobar2k (which is a fine app), great.
But for me there really is no need to use it :wink: …again, no question of “better or worse”.

Fair enough, we all have our preferences…I did quote(in bold), listening habits, your image preference and your “hence i’m fine with using images”…Now for a noob this seems to imply(AFAICT) that using an image is the only way to play complete album(s)…But I guess that’s a wrong assumption on my part…
W/O having to go back and re-read the posts, can’t say that I read where the OP asked which is “better or worse”…So yeah, “no question of better or worse”