Creating an episodic DVD

Hi all…

I’m trying to make a back-up of a DVD with DVDFab but I’m not sure how to go about it. Basically the DVD has 7 episodes but DVDFab shows that there are 14 video files on the disc, such that there are two exact copies of every episode. What I was wondering is are these extra copies just space fillers or is it essential to rip all the 14 files for all the episodes to work properly?

rip just one set of 7 to your hard drive then test the result with a PC dvd player, before you burn anything.

Any ideas why it would suggest duplicates of the episodes though? I’m getting the same issue when trying to back up 24 Series 5.

Nick

[QUOTE=nicks@codefresh.com;1974149]Any ideas why it would suggest duplicates of the episodes though? I’m getting the same issue when trying to back up 24 Series 5.

Nick[/QUOTE]

Because of the navigation bullsh1t that manufacturers put in the authoring to defeat backup of the product and possibly poor authoring.

For episodic dvds, most folks suggest you do the Full Dvd Disc. Otherwise, its difficult to know what files you should or should not keep.
BTW, “24” does not have any special protection on it, so can be done with Dvd Shrink alone. Use “Deep Analysis” mode for a better quality rip.

Play the ripped files in Windows Media Player and look for each episode which title # it plays, then select the same ones when you compile the discs in the ‘Compression Program’ of your choice.

[QUOTE=nickcodefresh;1974149]Any ideas why it would suggest duplicates of the episodes though? I’m getting the same issue when trying to back up 24 Series 5.

Nick[/QUOTE]
To answer your question - oftentimes, disk navigation is different for 2 titles, even though the video played is the same (or nearly so). This usually has nothing to do with protection. So, they copy the title (this adds no space to the DVD).

In practical terms, see gummigutta’s post (though I wouldn’t use WMP to occupy bad sectors on a crummy hard drive).

Regards

[QUOTE=nickcodefresh;1974149]Any ideas why it would suggest duplicates of the episodes though? I’m getting the same issue when trying to back up 24 Series 5.

Nick[/QUOTE]
some discs are stucture that way.

Sometimes 1 set is used for “play all” and the other set is used for when you select chapters/episodes, but it’s only the navigation that’s there twice - you’ll probably find that copying 7 titles gives the same size output as copying 14