Creating a Single VOB using DVDFab

I am using DVDFab 6 to rip my DVDs to watch through Xbox 360. I can play VOB files using Media Center, but when I rip my DVDs using the DVDFab Mobile/VOB.Passthrough setting, I only have the option to split the files in 1GB or 2GB chunks, which yeild 4 or 5 VOB files per movie.

Isn’t there a way to rip my DVD main movie into 1 single VOB file using DVDFab?

Is your system FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT32 has filesize limitations, but if you’ve got NTFS running you can try this from the cmd prompt:
copy /b File1.VOB + File2.VOB + File3.VOB MergedFile.VOB

I don’t think DVDFab has a single file VOB output option, and since I’m stuck with WMP11 I just use WMV files.

[QUOTE=jdbower;2282134]FAT32 has filesize limitations, but if you’ve got NTFS running you can try this from the cmd prompt:
copy /b File1.VOB + File2.VOB + File3.VOB MergedFile.VOB

I don’t think DVDFab has a single file VOB output option, and since I’m stuck with WMP11 I just use WMV files.[/QUOTE]
DVDfab does have a single VOB output it is the VOB Passthrough in the mobile options settings

DVD to Mobile also has a VOB Passthrough function you can find in Generic or add as a Device using Customize UI. It will produce a VOB file for use on some media servers and players (you can change the file suffix to MPG if necessary in Windows Explorer). This file can be one large file or split by size options (1,2,4 GB) or by chapter marks of the original DVD. The target drive must be NTFS for the larger file sizes to appear. The conversion time for VOB Passthrough is very fast.

http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToMobile

I’m using MyMovies in Vista Media Center to watch my dvd’s on my HP MediaSmart extender. And while it works with multiple VOB files, there is some “clipping” when it switches from one to the next

I just bought the DVD to DVD option. Had no idea single VOB creation would be part of the DVD to Mobile package.

Is my only option, if I really want a single VOB, to buy the DVD to Mobile package too?

You can try concatenating the files as suggested in post #3. VOB Passthrough is the best way. Your player software or streaming is the problem; regular DVD discs have the VOB files in 1GB chunks also. If it will play them from a disc, it should play them as well or better from VIDEO_TS folders.

[QUOTE=signals;2298740]You can try concatenating the files as suggested in post #3. VOB Passthrough is the best way. Your player software or streaming is the problem; regular DVD discs have the VOB files in 1GB chunks also. If it will play them from a disc, it should play them as well or better from VIDEO_TS folders.[/QUOTE]

It could be the wireless-g connection that’s causing the clipping. I’ll try playing on the HTPC the file is stored on.

Only other thing I can think of is that I had to rename the extension from VOB to MPG for them to play on the extender.

Sounds like it doesn’t “speak” DVD. Try the (free) VLC Media Player. It does and supports streaming also I believe. Here is a link for more info: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

DVD Fab doesn’t allow you to create a single vob file, it forces you to split them into 1gb or 2gb when you use the vob passthrough in dvd to mobile.

That’s if your drive is formatted to FAT32.
It’s not DVDFab, it’s Windows.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2299465]That’s if your drive is formatted to FAT32.
It’s not DVDFab, it’s Windows.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

All of my drives are formatted NTFS, and DVD Fab has created files larger than 4gb’s in other formats.

I tried to get a single vob that I could use on my media extender (360) a while back and couldn’t. I got my hopes up when reading this thread, but it still splits the vob’s.

If I check the box for “create dvdid .xml which can be used by WMC” in the dvd to dvd settings, I can watch them fine in WMP 11, but I still can’t watch it on my 360.

I’ve read on here for a while about people using another program (dvd shrink, I think) that will put the files into a single vob that can be renamed to a mpg, and work fine.

There is a free program called “VOB Merge” that you might want to check out. I believe that it will merge various vobs into the one file that you would like.
You can easily google it.
Fred

Something else is going on…
I’ve never had a problem creating a single .VOB with VOB passthrough.

I just did Gran Torino…note the file size:

You can do this with DVDfab, in DVD to Mobile select “Generic” the top of the list, then after selecting source and target when you click “next” select “conversion settings” in the upper left of the screen is a “DEVICE” dropdown menu, select vob and it will make a single vob file for you in short order. Again though you must have an NTFS formatted drive for this one.

[QUOTE=maineman;2299481]Something else is going on…
I’ve never had a problem creating a single .VOB with VOB passthrough.

I just did Gran Torino…note the file size:[/QUOTE]

If your drive is formatted NTFS maineman that looks pretty normal. I just did ID4 in a single vob and it’s a little over 6GB.

[QUOTE=90312;2299488]If your drive is formatted NTFS maineman that looks pretty normal. I just did ID4 in a single vob and it’s a little over 6GB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all 4 of my “everyday” hdds are NTFS. I do have one FAT32 in an ext enclosure for my son’s PS3…I wish the PS3 would handle NTFS…:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=maineman;2299491]Yeah, all 4 of my “everyday” hdds are NTFS. I do have one FAT32 in an ext enclosure for my son’s PS3…I wish the PS3 would handle NTFS…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I got one here and know what you mean. You can stream from an NTFS machine to the PS3. Streaming video should be all wired all the time! Although I’ve read good things about “N” networks streaming video, never seen one do it. I’ve never seen a “G” network do it and do it well.

Still won’t work for me. Do you see something wrong here? And yes I’m positive the drive is NTFS and not FAT32.