Creating a home movie compilation on DVD

vbimport

Hi all,

For Christmas my wife and I are trying to make a DVD with footage we’ve shot of our children to send to family. We record direct to (mini) DVD from the videocam. How do I go about pulling individual tracks from the various DVDs to put together on one DVD. I tried ripping the movie with Handbrake(0.92) and it didnt work. I tried importing into Windows Movie Maker and that didnt get me anywhere either. Any help would be much appreciated. I am computer savvy but this sort of thing is outside of my experience, but I shouldnt have much problem following any advice you might have. Thanks a million.

There are a lot of commercial video editing programs that can do this. I take it you didn’t get one with the camcorder?

There should be trials with each of these, so you can try them out and see if they fit your needs: Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio 12, and Corel VideoStudio X2.

Windows Movie Maker would have been my recommendation for a free program, but you seem to have had some problems with it.

For some reason WMM wont let me import the VIDEO_TS file off the dvd…do I need to copy to the hard drive first?

Looks like WMM won’t import mpeg2 found in dvds. The newer version found in Vista Home Premium or Ultimate has this capability, but I assume you are on XP.

Since your videos are already in dvd-video format, I’d look to another program than WMM. It can only export in WMV or DV AVI, and you’d have to convert back to dvd format again after using it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2161341]Looks like WMM won’t import mpeg2 found in dvds. The newer version found in Vista Home Premium or Ultimate has this capability, but I assume you are on XP.

Since your videos are already in dvd-video format, I’d look to another program than WMM. It can only export in WMV or DV AVI, and you’d have to convert back to dvd format again after using it.[/QUOTE]

The WMM is on my wifes new Vista laptop, so it should work. Are there any good free/sharewarethat will do what I want to do?

If you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your HDD, you could try with DVD shrink for simple cut and join…
Just use the shrink section only…
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic358361.html

or this guide,
http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

Try with Avidemux and append your vob files… Nice proggie…:wink:
If you want to do more than simple editing then maybe some commercial editing/authoring app is what you need…There are some very good freeeware out there,like Mpg2cut2, Mpeg Streamclip…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2161341]Looks like WMM won’t import mpeg2 found in dvds. The newer version found in Vista Home Premium or Ultimate has this capability, but I assume you are on XP.

Since your videos are already in dvd-video format, I’d look to another program than WMM. It can only export in WMV or DV AVI, and you’d have to convert back to dvd format again after using it.[/QUOTE]

The WMM is on my wifes new Vista laptop, so it should work. Are there any good free/sharewarethat will do what I want to do?

I opened WMM on my Vista partition, (its not a program I use), and tried to import a dvd from an unencrypted disk. I was not able to get the Video_TS folder imported, but individual vob files can be imported if you hit the option to see “All files” when you browse for a file.

This may not be the best option however, since vob files can split the video in odd places. I’d probably try ripping the entire disk to the hard drive, then remove the mpeg2 video from the vob container files using Vob2Mpg. It is free to use and will not degrade the quality of the video. Found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

The output from Vob2Mpeg will be one mpeg2 file that you can import into WMM and edit as you see fit.

Once you are done importing all the various videos and have edited, you can use the resulting video in Windows DVD Maker if you want. It is fairly primitive as dvd authoring programs go, but it is free and included in Vista. DVD Maker would not be my first choice by the way.

The output from WMM will either be a DV AVI or .wmv file depending what you select. You could convert either of them to dvd in DVDFlick, or FAVC or AVStoDVD if you would prefer using them to Windows DVD Maker. All three of those programs are free to download and use.

The hard part is getting a free editor. I’d rather point you to a free one that won’t change formats on you and make you reencode, but there isn’t much that works with the mpeg2 found in dvds, not for free. T0nee1 pointed out a few alternatives, but they are not full fledged editing programs.

For mpeg editing, I suggest either womble mpeg2 editor, Ulead Studio 11 plus will editing mpeg2, and Pinnacle Studio 12 does as well. You should be able to just capture the video(s), and cut the portions that you want, put those all together on the timeline of a new project, and then tell it to author the dvd. One more thing. You want a software that will allow you to author without re-encoding the already encoded video. That will give you the best quality. Only free one you might look at is virtualdubmod. I seem to remember that it could handle mpeg video. But not positive.

Wow lots of good information in this thread. I really appreciate it guys. Im going to hack away at it this weekend and I’ll let you know the results. Thanks so much for all the advice, I appreciate it.

I want to thank everyone again for all the great suggestions. I used VOB2MPG only to discover that WMM 6.0 on Vista Home Basic doesnt like the .mpg format so I Still couldnt edit in WMM. I finally (after much searching) found a good process on the papajohn.net for getting the the files from DVD format to something editable. Again, thanks for all the great replies.