Creating a 6 pack of coasters with Nero

vbimport

I have a NEC burner and am using TYGO2 disc. I have had pretty good success burning a number of movies, however I seem to be getting some poor results when I burn VOB files using Nero 6 Ultra Edition. The burned image plays fine on my pc, but does not play well on my standalone player - The picture is really not watchable and has lines through it that seem to flicker/skip. The strange thing is that I have not had any problems with disks when I burn Img/ISO files using decrypter, so I am really confused.

I have created 6 coasters trying to figure it out. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

How do you get the vob files? What sofware are you using for extracting them?

I don’t know how the Vob files were extracted, however the overall size of the VOB files was >6 GB, so I used DVDRB to shrink and reencode (CCE SP). I have since used IMGtool to create create an iso file and burned it with DVDdecrypter and had the same results. I have tried another movie and more of the same. I am using Quickee 2.28 (Extreme) firmware.

Would you advise trying a 8x burn instead of 16x as a next step? The strange things is that I have had successfull burns at 16x with this firmware

Media = TYGO2 DVD-R 8x

Media = TYGO2 DVD-R 8x

Theres alot of fake TYG02 going around are you sure this is real TY? it doesnt say bulkpaq on the cake box does it?:slight_smile: how much did you pay for this media? and where from?

Would you advise trying a 8x burn instead of 16x as a next step?

If they are 8x discs and you are burning them at 16x then that would be the first thing to look at, disc quality can drastically change within a box just because some discs burn at 16x doesnt guarantee others will

it also helps to tell us the exact type of burner the exact brand and dye type of the disc, drive firmware and your system hardware, some of this you have already done but giving as much info as you can will help give you a better answer. thanks

EDIT- you may want to try running a nero CDSpeed scan with the faulty discs, if you see massive dips and or large slowdowns that indicates large errors (usually), meaning your burner may be able to play the movie fine with its superior error correction ability but the DVD player may have problems, post a pic of the scan if possible :iagree:

Thanks for responding. I will add the details you noted when I am home later today

Go and Download “DVD Decryptor” & “DVD Shrink” both FREE…
Rip with decryptor then Re-Author with Shrink…Easy Peasy…a 5 year old can use it…

Burner: NEC 3500
Firmware: Quickee 2.28 (Extreme)
System: Window XP Professional, CPU 2.40 GHz, 640 mb ram

Test #1 with the following DISC burned at 4x

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AF1]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AF1]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

Nero DVD Speed Attached

Test #2 with the following disc burned at 12 x

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x , 8x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

Nero DVD Speed attachment #2

I have been doing some experimenting and determined that my software and burner are working properly. I ripped a movie that I had previously burned and played on my pc and standalone dvd player. To rip the burned copy I used decrypter in iso mode. Using the iso file on my harddrive I then burned it back to a new disc (Sony low quality) at 4x. I put it in my player and it worked perfectly.

So my question is this - What sort of testing can I do on the encoded movie to try and understand what the difference is between the movies that worked and the ones that didn’t? I had success with Spiderman 2 and no luck with Troy

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Hey stud99…

If you have Nero, try a quality test.

Mark

When tryig to do a disc quality test I keep getting an “error initializing test”. Do you have any suggestions?

Hey stud99…
Have you tried running another test on new media to see if this error comes up on it? I’d do a new test, with new media. What is your System and OS? Do you have all of Nero’s latest updates?
Mark

I cannot run the disc quality scan in NERO.

At the moment I have 6 burned movies that work great and 4 that work on my pc but not my dvd player (Pioneer). Using DVD2AVI I was able to see that the 4 movies that did not work had a framerate of 25 fps while the ones that worked were at 29.970.

Is it possible to change the framerate by reencoding?

figured out the problem. My dvd player does not play PAL movies, only NTSC. I need to find a guide to convert from PAL to NTSC