Creating 1:1 bit perfect CD copy / back-up

vbimport

I would like to know how to create 1:1 “bit perfect” back-up copies (and/or images) of my CD collection. I have searched the net and the cdfreaks forums extensively, but unfortunately I feel like I have more questions now than when I first got the notion to back up my collection. I have a suspicion this isn’t the first time these questions have been asked, so my thanks in advance for the help - even links to relevant posts or articles would be much appreciated.

1. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and I would like the back up copies I create to be 1:1 perfect copies of the source information. The posts I read mentioned that the optical drive itself can determine whether or not a true 1:1 copy is possible, with factors like “overread” and “sample offset” coming into play. Can someone explain what those two terms mean, and what specifications I should be making sure my drive has in order to make 1:1 copies?

2. I am somewhat concerned about error correction, as many of my CDs have scratches. I used Nero DiscSpeed to conduct a surface scan of my problem CDs, and I was disappointed to see many yellow sectors (damaged but still readable). Can someone tell me if the “damaged but still readable” sectors of my CDs will prevent 1:1 backups (due to error correction or otherwise)?

3. What is the best software & settings to create 1:1 copies? If someone could walk me through the process I would be very appreciative.

4. Is there a way to compare the information in a disc image (or a copied disc) to the original once a rip is complete?

Thank you very much.

PS - This is my first post, hello world!

rumination

I have been using an older version of CloneCD by Slysoft and I’m willing to bet that the latest version for sale does an even better job. It will in fact make perfect 1:1 copies of your CD’s.

You can check it out here:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

Eric :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Eric545;2160171]rumination

I have been using an older version of CloneCD by Slysoft and I’m willing to bet that the latest version for sale does an even better job. It will in fact make perfect 1:1 copies of your CD’s.

You can check it out here:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html

Eric :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input [:

Right now I use Alcohol 120% along with a host of other apps. I think it’s quite possible I’m just completely neurotic and obsessive compulsive. If 0.1% of a CD has damaged sectors I feel like I need to see a therapist.

rumination: There are many fine programs out there (free & commercial) that will meet your needs (including CloneCD which I own).

Keep in mind that your perfect copies will not remain in that state in perpetuity. [B]Media does degrade [/B]and with that so will the contents.

Exact Audio Copy will do what you want. And it’s free!

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

x2

Exact Audio Copy with the AccurateRip plugin is a great combo for making and verifying 1:1 copies of your audio CDs.

Another vote for EAC…:iagree:
Cdex is also pretty darn good , IMO…:smiley:

What kind of cds you want to copy (audio, game, vcd,…)?