Create IFO/BUP's

vbimport

Hi new member, first post, hope you can help me. I want to copy a dvd ‘Premonition’. I converted the main movie from mpeg into one big 2gb dvd/vob file. When i try to make the movie using clonedvd or dvd shrink it says i need ifo/bup files… I know what these are but i dont know how to create them for a file with none existing. I tried IFOEdit but after 100% analysing it just crashes or shuts down the program.

Anyone hep me? appreciate it. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=PughLfC;2051601]Hi new member, first post, hope you can help me. I want to copy a dvd ‘Premonition’. I converted the main movie from mpeg into one big 2gb dvd/vob file. When i try to make the movie using clonedvd or dvd shrink it says i need ifo/bup files… I know what these are but i dont know how to create them for a file with none existing. I tried IFOEdit but after 100% analysing it just crashes or shuts down the program.

Anyone hep me? appreciate it. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I’m unaware of a size constraint in IFOEdit so I would’ve thought the 2 GBs weren’t a problem??
Is the VOB named VTS_01_1?

It would be best to go back to the original dvd and start over. Rip to the hard drive with DVDFab HD Decrypter and work with it from there. Or if the protection isn’t advanced, you could rip and compress with Shrink straight from the disk.

If you insist on using this existing file, you can rename the vob file with an mpeg extension (or use Vob2Mpeg), then import it into a dvd authoring program to get back to dvd-video with .bup and .ifo files.

DVDStyler is a free authoring program that should be able to produce a dvd-video for you.

At 2gb, the video should easily fit onto a dvdr…but that is awfully small for a full movie. Are you sure you have the whole thing? IMDB shows the run time as 110 minutes, or 96 minutes for the cut version. Either of those should be more than 2gb at normal bitrates for dvd movies.

Maybe I misunderstand the details, but the DVD spec says that no single VOB file can be greater than 1GB. This is why you see several *.vob files on normal store bought DVD movies. For example:

VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
etc…

None of these can be larger than 1GB.

RM

It is possible to rip the movie into one big vob file. You use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode and set the file splitting to none. I assume PughLfC has done something similar, though I don’t really know why.

The 1GB file size is mainly for older players to work.

Thanks for all the replies i didnt expect so many so quick i only posted last night anyway i dont think i properly explained. I used nero a while ago in making the dvd premonition. Then recently i discovered a nero folder in my documents with a folder named ‘exported video’, with each title set (menus, main movie, extras) each merged into single video clips in mpeg form. I then used a standard video converter to convert it to dvd/vob file. The reason why it is only 2gb is because it was converted from a smaller mpeg format. I then tried IFOEdit, (yes renamed to VTS_01_1) and after 100% analysing it just freezes or shuts down. Can anyone suggest what i should do to create a dvd back from the original mpeg format file?? appreciate all.

[QUOTE=PughLfC;2052126]Thanks for all the replies i didnt expect so many so quick i only posted last night anyway i dont think i properly explained. I used nero a while ago in making the dvd premonition. Then recently i discovered a nero folder in my documents with a folder named ‘exported video’, with each title set (menus, main movie, extras) each merged into single video clips in mpeg form. I then used a standard video converter to convert it to dvd/vob file. The reason why it is only 2gb is because it was converted from a smaller mpeg format. I then tried IFOEdit, (yes renamed to VTS_01_1) and after 100% analysing it just freezes or shuts down. Can anyone suggest what i should do to create a dvd back from the original mpeg format file?? appreciate all.[/QUOTE]
Just run it through Nero Vision. If it’s DVD compliant Nero won’t re-encode, add chapter stops and menus if you like and run it. You’ll see the Smart Encoding logo if it’s not encoding the main movie, it will go off while doing the menus.

Thanks but i dont really like nero tbh. The last few dvd’s i made using it resulted in movies with directors commentary etc. over the top. Thanks to Kerry56 advised me to use dvdfab which i havent used for a while. i used it to copy the dvd files to my hard drive, unlike dvddecrypter, clonedvd, dvdshrink which all did not recognise ‘dvd navigation’. I just burned files using shrink and dvd works perfect. Thanks for posts didnt think this forum helped guess I was wrong. no more posts required unless you want to. :smiley: