Crazy ass buffer

vbimport

#1

Hello, i don't know if this is so much as a software problem, but hear me out:
I have a Samsung SW-224 cd burner, and used it with absolutely NO problems for a couple of months (Eazy Cd-Creator 5). However, i got hold of WinOn CD, by roxio and gave it a try. After a couple of days i uninstalled it (correctly uninstalled, so that's not the problem). Ever since then, whenever i burn a cd, at any given speed, my buffer goes up and down like crazy. It goes 100%, 23%, 74%, 6%, 98%, etc. So now, instead of burning a cd in <3 minutes, i have to wait about 10 minutes, no matter which speed i select. And, i get the same buffer problem at any speed.

PLEASE help me out, i am lost here. If you have any idea why this might be happening, please reply.


#2

You should check whether the aspi layer is installed properly. Installing / uninstalling burning software can sometimes mess things up.

You can use the aspicheck utility from adaptec to see if it’s properly installed.


#3

I have checked the aspi layer and they were fucked. I reinstalled them and the buffer still goes to hell. Any ideas?


#4

Does this happen on any cd or just game cd’s? Some drives act kinda weird around certain game protections.


#5

It happens on any cd i try to make, on images, single files, games, audio, mp3, etc. Every cd i try and make gets the same buffer thing going.


#6

Ok, installing the aspi layer properly was something that you should have done anyways.

If the problem persists check the following:

  1. DMA settings for all ide devices (hdd, drives). If for some reason you have it disabled (especially for when burning on the fly) you definetly will have buffer problems.

  2. Try not to have a lot of apps running in the background while burning. Antivirus programs, firewalls etc can cauze buffer problems. Disable before burning.

  3. Use good quality media

Try these and post again.


#7

I checked the DMA for the ide devices, here’s whats configured:

Primary IDE Channel:
Device 0 and 1 have “DMA is applicable” selected
the “Current transfer modes” are Ultra DMA for Device 0 and “Not applicable” for Device 1

Secondary IDE Channel:
Device 0 and 1 have transfer modes “PIO Only”
“Current transfer modes”: PIO Mode for both

I have 2 hdds in my computer, one is set up in RAID and the other one isn’t.

What should i do?


#8

From what i gather, you have your ide hdd as device 0 (dma enabled) while you have no device as primary slave (thus the not applicable). Your raid hdd shouldn’t have/cauze any problems.

You also have 2 drives (one is the samsung - the other you have not mentioned) which are not dma enabled.

Do you get the buffer underrun problems when you burn on the fly or do you get it even when you use an image?

Enabling dma for both you drives (which are currently in PIO mode) will speed their reading speeds - which will definetely help with on the fly writing and writing through image in the long run. I don’t know though whether both drives support udma mode (check drives’ characteristics from manuf flyer or something).


#9

I enabled DMA and i still get the same thing…

You must be pretty tired of these posts, but im really desperate. I have contacted Samsung for support, but they havent answered back yet.


#10

I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!! I downloaded “firmware” to update the drives and it worked! I guess one of the drives or something was messed up and updating it solved it! Thank you VERY much for your time and patience.


#11

Originally posted by spacemonkey
I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!! I downloaded “firmware” to update the drives and it worked! I guess one of the drives or something was messed up and updating it solved it! Thank you VERY much for your time and patience.
Good for you

Samsung also has a very nice ustility called “odd firmware liveupdate” or something - it checks for firmware updates on a daily basis and will download new versions whenever available. I suggest you get that from samsung :wink: