CRASHRPT.DLL on WinME

vbimport

I can’t stand Win XP… went back to WinME a few years ago. It’s an Intel Workstation and it’s ROCK solid stable and fast.

Been running DVD-Shrink, DVD-Decrypter and Ripit4me for a few years now, and have had very good results - About 1500 rips and burns so far.
However, the newer disks are becoming a pain to work with. All the trial and errors are making the process a bit tedious, and a waste of valuable time.

A friend recommended DVDfab, saying it’s like a one step solution, and it’s quick and thorough. And that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

So I visited the website and was very pleased to discover that DVDfab now supports WinME. (yes… it does say that)

The website FAQ says it’s best to download the trial version BEFORE you buy… so I downloaded trial version DVDfab5090.exe

During installation it comes up with error 31…
“DVDfab5/CRASHRPT.DLL expects a newer version of Winders… please upgrade your Winders version.”

So… I’m guessing that only the $retail version$ supports ME… and the free trial version does not.

Or…
Perhaps the webmaster is misinformed about the product’s minimum requirements?

Any suggestions?
(and please don’t recommend XP… Been there, done that! Been to the Gates of Hell too many times.)

Also… does anyone know if the retail version has any problems with SCSI RAID and SCSI DVD-ROM devices? (XP has problems with it, but ME seems to love it. Imagine that !!)

Thank You, and Best Regards,

David

The retail and trial versions are the same–the trial just expires after 30 days. There are still some other 98/ME users in the forum, maybe they can help out.

[QUOTE=head_spaz;2129482]I can’t stand Win XP… went back to WinME a few years ago. It’s an Intel Workstation and it’s ROCK solid stable and fast.

Been running DVD-Shrink, DVD-Decrypter and Ripit4me for a few years now, and have had very good results - About 1500 rips and burns so far.
However, the newer disks are becoming a pain to work with. All the trial and errors are making the process a bit tedious, and a waste of valuable time.

A friend recommended DVDfab, saying it’s like a one step solution, and it’s quick and thorough. And that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

So I visited the website and was very pleased to discover that DVDfab now supports WinME. (yes… it does say that)

The website FAQ says it’s best to download the trial version BEFORE you buy… so I downloaded trial version DVDfab5090.exe

During installation it comes up with error 31…
“DVDfab5/CRASHRPT.DLL expects a newer version of Winders… please upgrade your Winders version.”

So… I’m guessing that only the $retail version$ supports ME… and the free trial version does not.

Or…
Perhaps the webmaster is misinformed about the product’s minimum requirements?

Any suggestions?
(and please don’t recommend XP… Been there, done that! Been to the Gates of Hell too many times.)

Also… does anyone know if the retail version has any problems with SCSI RAID and SCSI DVD-ROM devices? (XP has problems with it, but ME seems to love it. Imagine that !!)

Thank You, and Best Regards,

David[/QUOTE]
Got the same problem since vs. 5 came out. Done a lot of searches but no one knows the solution or if so keeping it a secret. Guess I’ll have to stick with vs. 4 until it no longer works. Shame they want you to buy the over-priced vista or XP when 98SE is much more stable of an OS then either. Guess will have to look into the Fox. (talk about over-priced!!!)

Thank you both for replying to my post.

I am anxious for a solution, and would be happy to purchase the retail product if it were guaranteed to function on WinME as advertised.

Would a purchase guarantee access to proper support in getting it to work, or do they need to revise their sales information?

I’m not going to downgrade my system to XP or Vista, and numerous clients of mine feel the same way. When or if ME becomes disfunctional… I would rather migrate to Linux than anything MS.

Is there an archive where I can download an older version that works until they figure out what they’re gonna do???

Best Regards,
David

It shouldn’t matter whether you’re a paying/registered user, or not. The DVDFab author needs to fix the problem since it does indeed claim WinME compatibility on the product description page.

For the record, CRASHRPT.DLL needs the following DLLs to work correctly:

DBGHELP.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
USER32.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL

I have Win98SE installed in a virtual machine, and the DBGHELP.DLL file is missing. This is due to a change in a utility (called Dr.Watson) provided with Windows (it’s in Win98, but it was changed for either Win2K or WinXP). Since there is no updated version of Dr.Watson available for Win9x, there is no solution to your problem short of the DVDFab author taking steps himself.

As I see it, the DVDFab author has the following options:

1. Provide a stubbed version of the DLL that would install on Win9x systems.

2. Find another unhandled exception handler solution that is compatible with Win9x systems.

3. Drop support for Windows 9x (not your favorite option, I imagine).

Seriously, when you insist on using a far out-dated OS (for whatever reason), you should expect a diminishing level of support as the years wear on. I can understand you not wanting to use Vista (I don’t either), but XP is rather decent because drivers are still readily available for the OS). You can still get it from NewEgg for $139 (an OEM version).

You mentioned Linux, but I think you’ll have more problems than you bargained for that aren’t related to DVDFab. Good luck with that.

Of course, if you’re not married to using DVDFab, you could always find another solution until the DVDFab author makes a change one way or the other.

[QUOTE=jsimmons3;2130890]It shouldn’t matter whether you’re a paying/registered user, or not. The DVDFab author needs to fix the problem since it does indeed claim WinME compatibility on the product description page.

For the record, CRASHRPT.DLL needs the following DLLs to work correctly:

DBGHELP.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
USER32.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL

I have Win98SE installed in a virtual machine, and the DBGHELP.DLL file is missing. This is due to a change in a utility (called Dr.Watson) provided with Windows (it’s in Win98, but it was changed for either Win2K or WinXP). Since there is no updated version of Dr.Watson available for Win9x, there is no solution to your problem short of the DVDFab author taking steps himself.

As I see it, the DVDFab author has the following options:

1. Provide a stubbed version of the DLL that would install on Win9x systems.

2. Find another unhandled exception handler solution that is compatible with Win9x systems.

3. Drop support for Windows 9x (not your favorite option, I imagine).

Seriously, when you insist on using a far out-dated OS (for whatever reason), you should expect a diminishing level of support as the years wear on. I can understand you not wanting to use Vista (I don’t either), but XP is rather decent because drivers are still readily available for the OS). You can still get it from NewEgg for $139 (an OEM version).

You mentioned Linux, but I think you’ll have more problems than you bargained for that aren’t related to DVDFab. Good luck with that.

Of course, if you’re not married to using DVDFab, you could always find another solution until the DVDFab author makes a change one way or the other.[/QUOTE]
I agree wholeheartedly…^ is an excellent commentary on the “current state of affairs”.

I’ve seen a number of posts lamenting the lack of compatibility with win 98 (I don’t recall any other posts re: ME, but I’m sure they exist).
I too, believe that Fengtao should either fix the issues with 98/ME or officially terminate support.
Unfortunately, I suspect the latter is the most likely outcome.

While I sympathize with folks “…using a far out-dated OS (for whatever reason)…” I concur that "…you should expect a diminishing level of support as the years wear on…"
Afterall, even MS terminated support for 98 on June 9, 2006. This is about the time when I waved goodbye to my win 98se rig. Ended up giving it to my neighbor’s 4 yo to bang around on. It was working perfectly and ran a lot of the older kid software that I had accumulated. I hated to see my beloved old rig go, but I had decided it was time and at least would serve some useful purpose.

Moreover, while I respect the opinions of anyone wishing to stay with 98 and ME, the contention that it is more stable than XP, is a minority viewpoint, IMO.
Personally, I’m very happy with XP and have no wish to “upgrade” to vista…:eek::rolleyes: or “revert” to 98/ME. I also believe this is the consensus amongst (dare I say most) windoz users. Again, just my 2 cents.

I truly wish you luck, but I believe this will not end favorably for users of 98 and ME

[quote=maineman;2131134]I agree wholeheartedly…^ is an excellent commentary on the “current state of affairs”.

I’ve seen a number of posts lamenting the lack of compatibility with win 98 (I don’t recall any other posts re: ME, but I’m sure they exist).
I too, believe that Fengtao should either fix the issues with 98/ME or officially terminate support.
Unfortunately, I suspect the latter is the most likely outcome.

While I sympathize with folks “…using a far out-dated OS (for whatever reason)…” I concur that "…you should expect a diminishing level of support as the years wear on…"
Afterall, even MS terminated support for 98 on June 9, 2006. This is about the time when I waved goodbye to my win 98se rig. Ended up giving it to my neighbor’s 4 yo to bang around on. It was working perfectly and ran a lot of the older kid software that I had accumulated. I hated to see my beloved old rig go, but I had decided it was time and at least would serve some useful purpose.

Moreover, while I respect the opinions of anyone wishing to stay with 98 and ME, the contention that it is more stable than XP, is a minority viewpoint, IMO.
Personally, I’m very happy with XP and have no wish to “upgrade” to vista…:eek::rolleyes: or “revert” to 98/ME. I also believe this is the consensus amongst (dare I say most) windoz users. Again, just my 2 cents.

I truly wish you luck, but I believe this will not end favorably for users of 98 and ME[/quote]
I agree with you my friend except one thing, I don’t care what operating system you are running XP, Vista or other wise the
stability of any computer has to do with the configuration of the system and the hardware and drivers that is installed along with the settings that are made by the user/owner.
I run Vista Ultimate and find it to be very stable after a few modification in the configuration/settings of course :smiley:

sorry for going off topic, had to voice my 2 cents

SJ :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2131156]I agree with you my friend except one thing, I don’t care what operating system you are running XP, Vista or other wise the
stability of any computer has to do with the configuration of the system and the hardware and drivers that is installed along with the settings that are made by the user/owner.
I run Vista Ultimate and find it to be very stable after a few modification in the configuration/settings of course :smiley:

sorry for going off topic, had to voice my 2 cents

SJ :cool:[/QUOTE]
OT…sorry

Hey SJ,
Well, thank goodness for choice. I’ve seen many user complaints about Vista and many user comments praising Vista. I’m happy that you are in the latter group. Personally, I’ve never used Vista, but XP Pro is doing all that I ask of it and without any issues or tweaking on my part. I have absolutely no wish to move to Vista.

I believe XP became available somewhere around Aug 2001…not sure exactly, but my old hp XP is 2001 vintage and was an early XP rig.
XP is far from being a dinosaur and still is the preferred windows OS for many users. It still is well supported and because it has been around for 7+ years, has far greater compatibility overall…given the age and sheer volume of hardware and software out there.
As such, I believe it to be a more stable OS and certainly requires less tweaking, etc., from the user

Moreover, the fact that Microsoft is positioning itself for the release of yet another windoz OS, Windows 7, perhaps as early as next year, speaks volumes about Vista.

Another 2 cents from yours truly…:smiley:

Thanks again for responding.

I hear what you’re saying, and I have realistic expectations.
I know that MS obsoleted ME long ago, which has forced software developers to either keep up or drop out. But I’m of the phlosophy that the best support, or warranty, is the one that you’ll never need. But it’s not a perfect world is it?

I bought WinXP Pro retail when it fist came out, and I built a new hot and ran XP for about a year. I did the optimizations and tweaks. It was fairly stable, but not rock solid. And it NEVER even came close to keeping up with ME performance wise… and after a year… I just got fed up. Found myself using the older ME system all the time instead of the XP machine.
I’ve tried XP in various flavors of hardware and configs about 10 times since then… but each time it would boil my blood. I simply can’t stand it. I’d rather have to stack ball bearins… which would be far more productive at the end of the day.The ONLY advantage I see in XP is the Disk Manager Utility… but it’s not something you use every day.

What I really hate is XP’s cop named HAL that refuses to take advantage of hotrod hardware. Seems to drop everything down to compatability mode (and I don’t mean the drives in PIO mode because I always run SCSI) - the lowest common denominator via “emulation” to avoid the dreaded BSoD.
But I really don’t blame microsoft for that as they were the victims of false accusations and were the recipients of misplaced aggression, taking the heat for unscrupulous proprietary mistakes / crimes. Props were famous for shipping substandard hardware with built-in resource conflicts that could not be resolved without HAL to intercede between the API and the hardware, enforcing the Industry Standard via emulation. Unfortunately… that enforcer requires an extra processor (or three), at least double the resources if it’s performance is expected to keep up with a 486. All because of the proprietaries blamed their BSoDs on MS.
So I used to sympathize with MS… but they blew hershey chunks with XP.

Someday I will have to part with ME, and that’s a shame because it really is fast, it’s ROCK SOLID STABLE, and does everything I need it to do.
XP usually took an hour and 17 minutes to rip a 5GB movie. Whereas ME on the same exact hardware does the same disk in 6 min 33 seconds. Honest!
XP doesn’t seem to like SCSI.

As for Linux, I’ve been fooling around with Red-Hat and Knoppix for awhile.
And there is a lot of good in there… but the learning curve is a bit stiff. They’re getting better though.

Didn’t mean to blab so much.
Thank Ya Feller’s

I remember when Paul said that :iagree: but has moved over to the Darkside:eek: :bigsmile:

I agree on that my friend and I still us it when the moon is full…:bigsmile:

End of message from the Daaaarrkside :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I don’t think you’re blabbing too much…it’s good blab anyway.
I missed the SCSI comment first time around…:doh:

I’m running a 3rd SATA hdd and a samsung 203B via SCSI (SATA+ RAID controller) and have had no problems at all with XP Pro…both with SP2 and SP3.
My rip time usually runs 5-7 minutes depending…
You were looking at an hour and 17 minutes to rip a 5 GB flick…:eek:
I think suggesting XP was blowing hershey chunks was a rather kind comment…:stuck_out_tongue:

Never had a problem with XP myself, and I’m currently running the 64-bit version on a Phenom 9850 with 8gb of RAM, 4 SATA2 hard drives, and two IDE DVD writers. It would be fair to say that my system screams.

I’m not concerned about rip times, but I can go DVD-to-DVD in about 30 minutes (my write drive is only 2.4x on DL discs) on a 8gb disc.

[quote=jsimmons3;2131238]Never had a problem with XP myself, and I’m currently running the 64-bit version on a Phenom 9850 with [B]8gb of RAM[/B], 4 SATA2 hard drives, and two IDE DVD writers. It would be fair to say that my system screams.

I’m not concerned about rip times, but I can go DVD-to-DVD in about 30 minutes (my write drive is only 2.4x on DL discs) on a 8gb disc.[/quote]

With 8gigs of Ram :eek: that not screaming thats down right haulin buns :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2131199]I remember when Paul said that :iagree: but has moved over to the Darkside:eek: :bigsmile:

I agree on that my friend and I still us it when the moon is full…:bigsmile:

End of message from the Daaaarrkside :p[/QUOTE]
Ahhh yes, use The Force my friend, use The Force. May It protect you from The Dark Side; especially since there’s only one full moon every month, you’re gonna need It…:stuck_out_tongue:

btw…I don’t mean to speak for Paul, but as skilled and as knowlegable as he is (and you too my friend)…I believe he prefers XP to the Dark Side.
In any case, Viva La choice…:cool:

[QUOTE=jsimmons3;2131238]Never had a problem with XP myself, and I’m currently running the 64-bit version on a Phenom 9850 with 8gb of RAM, 4 SATA2 hard drives, and two IDE DVD writers. [B]It would be fair to say that my system screams.[/B][/QUOTE]

SCREAMIN’…:eek::eek::eek::cool:

Don’t need protection fron the darkside when you live there

I have one XP and one Bloatware x64. Just for the record I much prefer the XP.

At least you are working with it :clap: you will get use to it Paul :smiley: and you can De-bloat the sucker :bigsmile: if you know what I mean :wink:

fengtao needs to remove a few “support” categories from dvdfab.com:iagree:

not only operating systems or hd support. :flower: