Crash Microsoft Word 2016 by copying & pasting a web image

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Crash Microsoft Word 2016 by copying & pasting a web image[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/05/Word-2016-crashes-pasting-web-image-1-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft’s latest update to Office 2016 appears to have introduced a bug where copying & pasting images from the web browser into Word or Outlook can crash it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/crash-microsoft-word-2016-copying-pasting-web-image-79567/](http://www.myce.com/news/crash-microsoft-word-2016-copying-pasting-web-image-79567/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yep, I can replicate this problem.

I’m running Win 10 Preview 14352 Â and Office 2016 version 16.0.6965.2051 Â and can’t replicate this problem

As I run Office Professional Plus, I have not gotten this update yet and am still at 16.0.4378.1001, and no crashing occurs.

However, as long as it only affects Edge, a product which I think is soon to leave its true beta stage for day to day use (imo this will happen when W10 redstone1 is released) the problem is not too severe :wink:

Edge is just one - Copying an image from Internet Explorer 11, Chrome and Firefox also triggers this issue.

However, hopefully the insider version paulw2 mentioned will not take long to reach a public release.

Outlook can be right pain when it crashes - If there are archives open, Outlook will usually perform an error check on them after a crash, which can really slow down hard disk based computers for a while depending on the size of the archives. Unlike Word, Outlook quite often loses any newly written e-mail when it crashes.

[QUOTE=Seán;2775401]Outlook can be right pain when it crashes - If there are archives open, Outlook will usually perform an error check on them after a crash, which can really slow down hard disk based computers for a while depending on the size of the archives. Unlike Word, Outlook quite often loses any newly written e-mail when it crashes.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: and sometimes introduce errors to the PST file(s) as well… for good measure :stuck_out_tongue:
Come to think of it, Outlook has generally caused much pain for users through the years. That is a tool in need of an overhaul when it comes to its internal working to make it more sturdy against crashes :flower:

running outlook 356 (2016). one of my machines updated and i immediately got this issue. my other machine which did not update did not have it.

i uninstalled and reinstalled office. issue was persistent.

rolled the version back from 16.0.6366.2069 to 16.0.6366.2062. now it works fine.

this is definitely a bug i the update. i spoke to MSFT yesterday and they were not aware of the issue and wanted me to re install my OS.

Thank you everyone. I installed Office 2016 a few days ago and it updated today to 16.0.6366.2069 and Word began crashing every time I tried to use the "keep Source Formatting” paste option. Reading what you did, I rolled back to the same version as you (16.0.6366.2062) and now it works again. I want to say that it is only a bug with the update. But it is usually more complicated. Nonetheless, for now, it works and because I paste a lot, I am happy. I’ll wait awhile and try an update again down the road. Thanks morganovich.

U will not believe people - but since I’ve installed WIN 8.1 my MSWord-2007 started crashing sporadically on pasting text from Chrome (facebook messages copy for example - including web-elements)… So I decided to uninstall MSWord-2007 and installed MSWord-2003… And what U think was the first thing to happen - yep, freshly installed it crashed on pasting text from Chrome))
WTF?
So, I’ve undertaken an experiment:

• copy-paste just text WITHOUT web-elements - here MSWord acts normally as it should
  • copy-paste text WITH web-elements - here MSWord crashes at once…
    So, it ain’t a Word-application problem (u have MS-2016) - I guess that’s something about Windows - Chrome.
    What U think?