Crack the code and win a brand new Ferrari 360 Challenge!

vbimport

Video compression provider DivXNetworks has teamed with the Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics to develop a system to protect digital video and audio from copyright violations.

Under a deal announced Wednesday, the companies said they would work together to create a digital watermark system. Watermarking technology places a unique bit of code into a video or audio file, making the file difficult to copy or play without permission from copyright holders.

Both DivXNetworks and Fraunhofer have been on the other side of the digital piracy debate. DivXNetworks created the DivX format, a video-compression technology that has long been associated with movie piracy. Fraunhofer is one of the companies behind the MP3 audio format, one of the most popular formats for creating and trading digital music files.

The partnership is part of DivXNetworks' ongoing struggle to put its bootleg history behind it and become a legal provider of video-on-demand and download services....

Hate to disappoint you, but this was posted at our mainpage almost 2 weeks ago:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=3748

Furthermore, this is not a software question, but more something you can discuss in our comfortable Living Room, so that is where I moved it to :wink:

Personally, I have no knowledge about coding whatsoever, but I wouldn’t mind driving that Ferrari :wink:

Fisher, no offense, but this protection is virtually worthless. If they are so sure of your protection, why wont they show their “amazing” algorithm for evaluation, why should anyone believe them? Brute force isn’t the only way to break an encryption scheme. A 256 bit key is completely unbreakable by brute force. Note that I don’t say this because of how fast our computers are, I’m saying this based off of how much matter and energy exists in the universe.

There are perfectly good open-source, free algorithms, eg. Blowfish, Twofish, AES, CAST, the list goes on. These algorithms have been studied extensively, and shown to be secure. keeping the algorithm secret decreases security, since it cannot be evaluated.

The facts: Long Key sizes don’t make something secure, providing an encrypted file and a prize for decrypting doesn’t show anything (FEAL was broken with 20 chosen plaintexts, not many ciphertext block. Since the meganet corporation apparently can’t do math, here is a simplification: 20 > 0), and mad-up words don’t mean anything.

Edit:

Why did you change the actual content of your post? It started out about Meganet corp.'s new encryption scheme, but was changed to say something about DivX.

I wish I had a Modena