CPU upgrade advice

i have an AS Rock 4 core dual-VSTA motherboard in my pc with a 3.2 Ghz intel pentium D 940 CPU based on the socket 775 LGA

this uses an american trends bios dates 2007, have atempted to overclock but any changes in the bios to the CPU frequency and the PC wont boot, and when it will any overclock is so small there is no pint

what CPU can i upgrade to

I have found the following

INTEL PENTIUM 4 P4 3.8GHZ 3.8 GHZ 775 2M 800 CPU & FAN

according to the asrock website it should work

basically i want a faster PC, i have maxed out on the boards memory with 2 gig, the video card is a 1 gig nvidea 8500 GT

ta marc

Your Motherboard will accept a lot of newer cpus, some ‘core 2 duos’ will work in it. This is the supported cpu list. Your board won’t accept a lot of the very latest chips, but there are some good ones that are cheap on ebay, like the E6700, the E4700 (ebay item # 280300137045, make him an offer like $100) but you need to buy a heatsink fan for that one.

You do not want to pick an old technology cpu like the Pentium 4 that you picked there. the new dual cores a much faster.

[QUOTE=razor344;2197810]i have an AS Rock 4 core dual-VSTA motherboard in my pc with a 3.2 Ghz intel pentium D 940 CPU based on the socket 775 LGA

<…>

I have found the following

INTEL PENTIUM 4 P4 3.8GHZ 3.8 GHZ 775 2M 800 CPU & FAN

according to the asrock website it should work

basically i want a faster PC, i have maxed out on the boards memory with 2 gig, the video card is a 1 gig nvidea 8500 GT[/QUOTE]
If the Asrock website says it will work it should work.

But I’m honest. The speed benefit would not be that high. Your current CPU is clocked @ 3.2GHz the new one would clock with 3.8GHz. The CPU clock is not the only thing that makes a PC fast. Investing money in a (totally outdated) P4 CPU is like riding a dead cow…

An other thing is the 3.8GHz P4 are getting really HOT. You need a very good cooling for this CPUs.

If I were you I would not invest in a new CPU. It would be a better choice to buy a new Board, CPU and RAM. The benefit of a Dual core system is better compared to the higher clock of the 3.8GHz P4.
A Intel Core2Duo E7200 or E7300 would be a good choice with a mainboard supporting this CPU type. It is not necessary to buy a high end mainboard. A good “consumer level” board should be perfect. It is also not necessary to buy “overclocker RAM”. Normal quality RAM should also be ok. Depending on what you do with your PC I’d get 2 or 4GB.

i have found this

would this be better

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6M Cache S775 1333MHZ

ta marc

Here is the CPU compatibility list for your motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-VSTA&s=775

While the E8500 is a faster CPU it is not supported by your motherboard. Your best options are the Conroe or Conroe 1M CPUs listed on the link above. Or if you want a quad core CPU you can get one of the Kentsfields listed. If you do end up purchasing one of these CPUs just make sure you upgrade the mobo’s BIOS to the latest offered before taking the old CPU out.