CPU over-load causing non-recoverable burn errors

vbimport

My secondary PC (Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 2) has started to slow down. I suspect there is a program(s) running in the background that causes the yellow CPU busy light to come on at a constant one second interval. Blink, blink, blink …

I checked the Task Manager List (Processes) and it indicates that nothing is running (99% idle).

When I burn a DVD-R (using ImgBurn) I often get a non-recoverable error, which I suspect is caused by the CPU becoming over-loaded.

Here are some of the errors that I’ve been getting recently when the burn operation fails. Each one is from a separate burn operation and all occurred more than once (a lot of coasters!). One was from a ‘test’ burn where ImgBurn didn’t even activate the laser and never actually ‘burned’ the DVD-R (no coaster :slight_smile: ).

W 12:39:31 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
W 11:26:20 Failed to Read Sector 431232 - Reason: Unknown (CRC or ECC Error) (ASC: 0x10, ASCQ: 0x90)
W 21:09:06 Failed to Write Sectors 227712 - 227743 - Reason: Unknown (Internal Target Failure) (ASC: 0x44, ASCQ: 0x86)
E 21:29:25 Device Not Ready - Reason: Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable
W 12:40:15 Failed to Write Sectors 945792 - 945823 - Reason: Unknown (Internal Target Failure) (ASC: 0x44, ASCQ: 0x86)
W 11:46:30 Miscompare at LBA: 10754, Offset: 2, File: \VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

None of these errors are valid for the drive since when they occur, I re-boot the PC and start over and the burn is usually successful. Same DVD-R blank media I’ve been using for years.

Another symptom I noticed that when I do a burn that fails the buffers were having trouble staying full (both the Device buffer and the Image buffer). In the past that never seemed to occur. Both would fill up (solid blue line) and stay that way until the burn was complete.

When this first started to occur, about six months ago, I suspected the DVD burner drive. In the past 6 months I have replaced that drive with four different new DVD burners (On-Lites, Sonys and LGs) and these burner problems seem to be getting more frequent.

I’ve been successfully burning DVD-Rs since 2003, when I first got this PC. As I recall, the CPU light would only flicker during a burn which indicated to me that it wasn’t being used 100%. Now, during a burn, that light stays on constantly.

I’ve used AVG anti-virus, Malwarebytes anti-malware and Avast to scan my system memory and C: drive and all report nothing amiss.

Is there any software that I can use to detect what is running in the background and causing a constant interrupt of the CPU?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help with this.

There could be a lot of different things going on, from hardware failures to software glitches, to operating system problems, to virus/rootkit infections. Hard to say until you start running some tests.

First, run the Fix It tool from Microsoft. Click on the link in my signature that says, [I]Microsoft support for optical drives[/I]. Follow the instructions at that site.

Your hard drive may be failing. Run Checkdisk: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/hderrcheck.htm There are also tools for examining drives from the drive manufacturers.

Your cpu heatsink may be clogged with dust and causing the cpu to throttle down. Check its condition.

You may have a rootkit…I doubt it, but you can look for it with free tools like GMER or Sophos rootkit detector.

That is impossible, you may have used other disc with the same brand, but DVD-R is WORM media…

What specific media is it and can you post a logfile?

[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2573679]My secondary PC (Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 2) has started to slow down. I suspect there is a program(s) running in the background that causes the yellow CPU busy light to come on at a constant one second interval. Blink, blink, blink …

I checked the Task Manager List (Processes) and it indicates that nothing is running (99% idle).

When I burn a DVD-R (using ImgBurn) I often get a non-recoverable error, which I suspect is caused by the CPU becoming over-loaded.

Here are some of the errors that I’ve been getting recently when the burn operation fails. Each one is from a separate burn operation and all occurred more than once (a lot of coasters!). One was from a ‘test’ burn where ImgBurn didn’t even activate the laser and never actually ‘burned’ the DVD-R (no coaster :slight_smile: ).

W 12:39:31 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
W 11:26:20 Failed to Read Sector 431232 - Reason: Unknown (CRC or ECC Error) (ASC: 0x10, ASCQ: 0x90)
W 21:09:06 Failed to Write Sectors 227712 - 227743 - Reason: Unknown (Internal Target Failure) (ASC: 0x44, ASCQ: 0x86)
E 21:29:25 Device Not Ready - Reason: Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable
W 12:40:15 Failed to Write Sectors 945792 - 945823 - Reason: Unknown (Internal Target Failure) (ASC: 0x44, ASCQ: 0x86)
W 11:46:30 Miscompare at LBA: 10754, Offset: 2, File: \VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

None of these errors are valid for the drive since when they occur, I re-boot the PC and start over and the burn is usually successful. [B]Same DVD-R blank media I’ve been using for years.[/B]

Another symptom I noticed that when I do a burn that fails the buffers were having trouble staying full (both the Device buffer and the Image buffer). In the past that never seemed to occur. Both would fill up (solid blue line) and stay that way until the burn was complete.

When this first started to occur, about six months ago, I suspected the DVD burner drive. In the past 6 months I have replaced that drive with four different new DVD burners (On-Lites, Sonys and LGs) and these burner problems seem to be getting more frequent.

I’ve been successfully burning DVD-Rs since 2003, when I first got this PC. As I recall, the CPU light would only flicker during a burn which indicated to me that it wasn’t being used 100%. Now, during a burn, that light stays on constantly.

I’ve used AVG anti-virus, Malwarebytes anti-malware and Avast to scan my system memory and C: drive and all report nothing amiss.

Is there any software that I can use to detect what is running in the background and causing a constant interrupt of the CPU?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help with this.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2573679]My secondary PC (Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 2) has started to slow down.[/QUOTE]Install SP3. SP2 is out of support and gets no more updates and patches.

Michael

also run malwarebytes it free full scan

[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2573679]
[/QUOTE]So you are running two AV softwares the same time? This is calling for trouble :eek:

Also check if DMA is enabled.

Additional thought: This computer is 7 years old. Perhaps some hardware is faulty. At least have a look at the capacitors on your motherboard if some are bulging or even leaking. Your PSU could be affected also.

[QUOTE=samlar;2573735]also run malwarebytes it free full scan[/QUOTE]Read the original post again :smiley:

MIchael

First I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. Without this forum and those who take the time to assist those of us less technically qualified or experienced, I would have crashed and burned years ago.

I think I tried all of your suggestions, but alas, the over-heating condition remains as well as the continuous and mysterious CPU activity. The blinking yellow CPU light pulse at about the same rate as one of those flashers you see on highway repair barriers. Maybe it’s telling me something. :slight_smile:

I’ve decided that the machine is aging and it’s due for an over-haul. New heat sink on the CPU, new C drive and a fresh O/S load.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!