CPU load management

vbimport

Is there any way to get Nero (or any other conversion software) NOT to use 100% of the CPU when burning a DVD. I don’t care about speed, I just need to be able to keep using my computer while I’m burning. Or is this a typical scenario? I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, but it seemed the most likely one.

Thanks

Hi greybyrd, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I would have chosen the General Software forum instead, but please don’t make a new thread.

Nero shouldn’t use 100% CPU for burning, but if you use Nero Recode, NeroVision Express or some similar application that encodes, recodes or transcodes video into DVD Video format (before burning) then those applications will probably use all the CPU they can get, and there’s no way to change that.

There is a way to deal with the consequences, however. If you open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) in Windows 2000/XP, go to the Processes tab, click twice on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage in descending order, then your CPU hungry application should be at the top. Then you can right-click on that process and Set Priority to BelowNormal or Low. That will give priority to your other tasks so that your pc will feel faster even though it’s using all available CPU power.

It’s not a good idea to have the Priority at BelowNormal or Low when performing an actual burn however, so you might want to do conversion first and then burn later.

I’m moving this to General Software as that a better place as it’s more about an application than hardware.

try lowering the cpu priority in task manager ? i use ashampoo and it uses the least amount of resources.

nero will use 100% or close to it if the burner is in pio mode, of course you said coversion and burning in the same sentence

Thanks for the tip on task manager. Does all transcoding or encoding software suck up so much CPU load, or is Nero above average?

Video conversion is a very CPU intensive operation. I doubt Nero is much different to any other application.