CPU/GPU combo in the Xbox 360 slim

http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/08/23/lifting-the-veil-on-the-hybrid-processor-graphics-chip-in-the-new-xbox-360/

disclaimer: i dont really care about the ‘console wars’ or ‘fanboys’. if it werent for my kids wanting a wii i would not own a video game console.

with all the updates to the 360, is it even the same console?

taking into account the number of defective consoles and the number of purchases due to hardware changes. i wonder what would be the ratio of new owner 360 sales in relation to total sales.

nintendo only makes minor software improvements and hardware changes in attempts to stop hacking. the only interesting change has been from a white cover to a black cover.

i would buy a new wii if they made some major changes to the current console without coming out with an entirely new system. well only if i could softmod it!!!

Hardware revisions are usually done because of the advancements in the production process. It’s now cooloer, needs less power and it’s cheaper to manufacture. I don’t think the 360 had that many hardware revisions compared to a Sony or other console.

[QUOTE=troy512;2540198]nintendo only makes minor software improvements and hardware changes in attempts to stop hacking.[/quote] Nintendo DS, DSLite, DSi , DSiXL and the upcoming 3DS. It’s all DS, but with various hardware modifications.

The PlayStation 2 has been under revision about 18 times in its life span.

i would buy a new wii if they made some major changes to the current console without coming out with an entirely new system. well only if i could softmod it!!!
I wouldn’t want to buy a new revision of any console or handheld at all. I hate paying twice for the same and maybe a very very tiny feature (camera, kinect connector, usb port, stuff like that) extra.

i really dont know much about the xbox. is this update supposed to fix the over heating and RROD?

saying nintendo wasn’t the proper word choice. oops, i should have said Wii. :rolleyes:

i really enjoy the game play and software modifications of the wii. if it were to update with some noticeably better hardware modifications, i would seriously consider buying a new one.

yeah the DS has had many editions and even more special revisions.

they even released at least 8 game boys.

[QUOTE=troy512;2540744]i really dont know much about the xbox. is this update supposed to fix the over heating and RROD?[/quote] I wish it would, but alas no. The overheating (and resulting in RROD) is actually a design flaw of the hardware. The only proper method to repair this is an actual hardware modification.

With the new Xbox 360 Slim they decided to put GPU and CPU on a single chip, therefore needing only one big heavy cooling block. It still can overheath though.

i really enjoy the game play and software modifications of the wii. if it were to update with some noticeably better hardware modifications, i would seriously consider buying a new one.
If they bring out one with better HD support i might consider it.