CPU Failure, how to install existing hardrive to another XP computer I have

vbimport

My current Asus 2001 computer, CPU has failed. The hard drive should be in tact, and I would like to install it on to my other computer, which already has XP and a hardrive… I’d like to run both drives from one computer.

I am new at this, and would like some direction. I understand the issues involved when installing two hard drives to a new version of XP, but what about an existing XP, and how to do it?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If you want use the hard disk as a data storage system, then there is no issue at all. Simply install the disc into the case, plug the power and the data cables, set correctly jumpers (if discs are IDE drives), and that’s all.

If you want use the old windows XP installation in the new computer, then this will not work. btw, if the new computer already has a XP installed, there is no reason to use the old XP on the new machine :slight_smile:

Once you install the disc windows will recognize the drive automatically, so you only need to be sure that cables are connected correctly and that jumpers are set properly.

[QUOTE=rcamp;2184913]My current Asus 2001 computer, CPU has failed. The hard drive should be in tact, and I would like to install it on to my other computer, which already has XP and a hardrive… I’d like to run both drives from one computer.

I am new at this, and would like some direction. I understand the issues involved when installing two hard drives to a new version of XP, but what about an existing XP, and how to do it?[/QUOTE]
If both drives are IDE drives (with the flat 80-conductor data cables), you need to set the drives jumpers. Set the drive on the working computer to master (it probably is already set to this) and make sure it is connected to the end connector. Set the second drive (from the failed computer) to slave and connect it to the middle connector. The jumpers are on the back of the drives and are usually labeled CS (cable select), S (slave) and M (master). Your drive may say to have nothing jumpered for Master or Simgle. (Single = master with no slave.) If this doesn’t work out for you, set both drives to CS and let the cable select which drive is master and slave. You will still need the Master at the end and the drive from the non-working PC in the middle. If your drives are SATA (1/2 inch wide red data connector) just plug in the drive to an unused sata port. Just be sure that the original drive (from good machine) is set to boot first in the BIOS (CMOS setup). If you have 1 IDE drive and 1 SATA drive, things become more difficult. Your PC may boot to the IDE drive first no matter how you have your BIOS set up. Hopefully the good machine uses the IDE drive. In all cases, you want to avoid booting to the drive from the crashed machine. It will try to load the (incorrect) drivers and just hang!!

Thank you very much for your guidance and support. I will give this a try, and see what happens. Best wishes for a wonderful new year.
rcamp