Cpu difference

vbimport

just bought a new athlon xp 2800+ pcu barton but it looks exactly the same as my 1800 thoroughbred, so i’m not sure if i have been sent the right cpu. Is there any difference’s on the cpu for me to be able to tell the difference.If anybody can help it would be very much appreciated as i don’t want to fit it incase it has to go back

The shape and size of a Barton CPU differs from a Tbred or Palomino CPU. Why? Because of the increased cache size (doubled from 256 to 512k).

Besides this different, the code on the sticker is also different. Very detailled info on this subject can be found here.

Well, can’t you read the codes on the black sticker on the CPU?

Or easier still, can you look in the box? Or didn’t it come with one?

Originally posted by micknick
just bought a new athlon xp 2800+ pcu barton but it looks exactly the same as my 1800 thoroughbred, so i’m not sure if i have been sent the right cpu. Is there any difference’s on the cpu for me to be able to tell the difference.If anybody can help it would be very much appreciated as i don’t want to fit it incase it has to go back

the cpu speed should be clearly printed on the top of the chip within the first string in the black area.

I have read all your reply’s.It did come in a box as i bought a retail version but it doesn’t say on the box that it is a barton.I have looked up what the code means on the black label and the only thing i can spot that makes me think it is a barton is the last number which is a 4 which is the cache in that case it is a 512 which means that it is a barton ,as it’s only the bartons that do 512 cache.Am i right on this?

have a look here

central brain identifier, gives some nice info about your cpu

http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/fclick/fclick.php?fid=254

The CPU is not installed yet :smiley: