CPU compatibility list

I can’t find a cpu compatibility list for a Dell Optiplex GX620 with an F8098 board. Does anyone know where I could find the list. Thanks.

What CPU do you currently have? ; that will get you in the ball park.

but a quick look online I found… https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-gx620-620dmin/specs/ ; if that’s accurate your CPU should be a LGA775 socket. so CPU’s inline with this.

but if your going to upgrade CPU, I would try seeing if there is a newer BIOS for your motherboard which looking on Dell’s website it appears there might be… https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-gx620/drivers ; one from Dec 5th 2006 and another shows June 4th 2020. but the version number on the June 2020 seems older than the one from 2006.

doing a search online I found some people talking about CPU upgrades in relation to it…

one person said, which is the newest post in that topic from the year 2016, “The GX620 best upgrade is the Intel® Pentium® D CPU3.40GHZ. It installs either 32 or 64 bit Windows 10 with no problems.” (source = https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/best-processor-upgrade-for-Dell-Optiplex-GX620/m-p/3448077/highlight/true#M808770 ) ; even if that comment is 100% accurate, how much RAM do you have? ; because I can’t see Windows 10 working all that well on low RAM. depending on what you do on your computer, Linux might run noticeably faster if you just want a basic internet machine and the like as I know on a couple of old laptops I got with clearly underpowered CPU’s, Linux is a must as Windows 10 is simply too slow on them. but with Linux they are usable.

you can get one of those on Ebay for like $10 or so tops. it’s a dual core. so it’s not the fastest but depending on your current CPU, you probably ain’t got much to lose by upgrading at that price as, if that CNET site is accurate your current CPU is single core (i.e. Intel Pentium 4 531) which is pretty much crap. it’s probably worth buying the newer one as you ain’t got much to lose considering it’s only around $10 tops.

so don’t rush into buying anything just yet until you do some research and at the least upgrade the BIOS to newest one is probably a good idea if your going to mess around with upgrading CPU. it seems the A11 BIOS is newest (from what people are saying in that thread) which is that one from the year 2006.

p.s. on a side note… I should be getting my used i5-3550 CPU very soon which will be a solid upgrade over my i3-2120, since it’s quad core vs dual core. I had my i3-2120 since May 2012 and it only cost me $20 for the i5-3550. ill just be using the stock heatsink/fan from my i3 on the i5. but my CPU temps will not be optimal but should still be within spec as I expect my CPU’s temps will top out at about 85c (my i3 typically peaks between 60-64c or so) on Prime95 torture test but I heard they can go up to 105c before throttling etc will occur. so if I am roughly 20c under the limit, I should be okay especially given the CPU won’t be at the high temps for all that long short of maybe gaming etc. I could get a aftermarket cooler which will definitely help with temps but I would rather not have to spend a additional $20-30.

The current CPU is Pentium 4 630 and yes the socket is LGA775

I have upgraded the BIOS to A11 the latest version available. And I have 4 GB ram installed. But I can’t find anything on e-bay as being simply Pentium D. All the listing I see is like Pentium D 945 etc. Thanks I will continue to look.

I am 68 and disabled and I work on computers as a hobby to have something to do. I fix them and sell them. This 620 is running W7 Pro x64 but the Pentinum 4 won’t run W10 which is what I am trying to find a CPU that will run it.

Nobody, and I can’t fault them, wants W7 anymore and if I can get W10 installed on the computer I have a better chance of selling it for a decent price. Thanks again.

Looking at the specs for your Pentium 4 630 CPU, it is a single core but has 2-threads. so upgrading to dual core should give you a decent speed bump. but for around $10, you can’t really lose :wink:

with 4GB of RAM… you might be okay on Windows 10 but unless Windows is a must for you, I would seriously consider Linux Mint as Linux runs noticeably better on under powered CPU’s as I got a laptop with a pretty weak CPU and with Windows 10, while it technically works, it’s too slow to be usable. but with Linux Mint on it, it’s a decent internet machine and the like as it’s usable with Linux on it. but you ain’t got much to lose as you can try installing Win10 on it and see if you like it, if not, then Linux is a solid option.

the last I checked… one can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. I did this last year in 2019. and like I posted above… https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/best-processor-upgrade-for-Dell-Optiplex-GX620/m-p/3448077/highlight/true#M808770 ; that persons claims Windows 10 32bit and 64bit install on that CPU he mentions which is a dual core… https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27520/intel-pentium-d-processor-945-4m-cache-3-40-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-D-945-Dual-Core-3-4GHz-CPU-800MHz-LGA775-Socket-T-Processor/274378441784 ; for only $6.99.

You da man, NBR. I have several Pentium D 945’s, 925"s and a couple of other Pentium D’s but when I installed them before they wouldn’t work. After you post I decided to try again and the 945 works great. I must have tried the 945 before I did the BIOS update a week ago.

But the 945 now works and I will see if Windows 10 installs so I can sell the computer at a decent price. Thanks again.

Cool.

basically with Windows 10, with Win 7 on your computer, you can use the official ‘Media Creation Tool’ (i.e. https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 ) to upgrade the OS. once it’s activated, wipe the drive and install the OS clean using the ISO (which you can download using that Media Creation Tool) and that’s that.

Thanks for the help NBR. The Pentium D 945 isn’t going to run W10. I have an ISO for W10 v. 1909 that I have used to install W10 several times but when I try to install W10 on the GX620 it tries for a long time then I get and install error 0xc00000e9, which according to the web is a hardware error. I have updated what drivers I can but W10 isn’t going to run on this desktop unless I find some reason that I have so far missed. Thanks again.

You can try Windows 10 v2004 as that should be the current ISO using that Media Creation Tool (my guess is it won’t help but you can try it if you want). but worst case… Linux (I suggest Linux Mint (v20 should be out before this month is finished (give or take) and is supported til the year 2025) should install on it which will give you a solid internet machine and the like.

because I have a old computer from 2006 (I got the motherboard in 2006 which was a solid motherboard at one point (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe)) and Windows 7 works fine on it, but Microsoft no longer supports it as of Jan 2020. so it’s not a real option. but while Windows 10 32bit installs it’s unstable and Windows 10 64bit won’t even install as it lacks something called nx-bit. but Linux Mint v19.3-Xfce works perfectly okay/stable on it.

[quote=“NBR, post:8, topic:407357”]
Linux (I suggest Linux Mint
[/quote] Linux (I suggest Linux Mint

NBR, maybe you can help me with this. I tried the W10 v. 1909 ISO and it wouldn’t install. Then I remember that I also have a W10 v. 10.0.0 ISO so i tried to install with that ISO. It loaded but frozed at 72%. I had this problem on an Optiplex 755 that did the same thing. I have three of the Dell Optiplex 755’s that I was given and loaded W10 v. 10 on two. Everything went fine. On the third it also hung at 72% and I cloned on of the other HDD’s and that got the third 755 working. Now on the GX 620 I have the W10 v. 10 hanging at 72%. You know of any way to solve this. On the 755 I searched the web but found no solution, though many suggestions. Now on the GX620 I searched the web and none of the solutions I found solved the problem.

If you could tell my how to get past the installation hanging at 72% I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Just off the top of my head…

When you say W10 v10.0.0 ISO, what exactly is that one? ; because without going too far back here are the Windows 10 released over the last couple of years or so… 1803/1809/1903/1909 and most recently 2004.

ever try installing Windows 10 32bit to see what happens?

or maybe… disconnect devices not are not essential during installation. if your installing from USB, if possible, try installing from a DVD+RW disc etc. or try another USB thumb drive or maybe a different USB port.

or when it gets stuck at your 72%… how long did you wait? ; maybe wait several hours (say wait overnight if you got the time) just to see if it eventually finishes or not as I figure if it does not progress at all by then it almost surely locked up and wont’ finish the install.

also, makes me wonder if the clean installation of Windows 10 hangs at 72% etc, try putting Windows 7 x64 back onto the hard drive, then upgrade from there to Windows 10 2004 x64? ; might not be the most optimal option but if it works, it should be okay enough.

*When you say W10 v10.0.0 ISO, what exactly is that one? ;

It’s one of the very first versions that came out.

ever try installing Windows 10 32bit to see what happens?

Yes, I have a W10 x32 ISO and it did the same thing as the v. 1909.

I am installing form DVD.

how long did you wait?

Hours

Thanks NBR, I appreciate it.

Problem solved. Had a USB with W10 on it and used it to load the OS. Hardly ever use USB to install OS’s but this time it worked. Now, v. 1511 is installed and I will use Windows update assistant to get the latest version.

Thanks for the help. Always good to talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply… but I thought the USB option was worth considering but I was not all that confident that it would have worked. but yeah, I kind of bounce between USB installs and DVD (usually DVD+RW at this point so I don’t waste discs) installs as my primary PC I usually opt for USB installs but my older computers etc I tend to opt for DVD installs. DVD almost seems like ancient tech, but I suspect I am still behind the times in some ways.

but for good measure… once you get the base Windows 10 installed and updated, I would run the ‘disk cleanup’ to remove all previous install files etc (if your on a HDD and not a SSD, you could defrag the hard drive) and then use something like Clonezilla (free Linux based hard drive imaging software) and make a image file for potential future use in case anything gets out of whack. I like Clonezilla as I use it to make an occasional image of my OS installs in case anything gets out of whack and I restore it. hell, with Clonezilla as a bonus… if you have Samba share setup on your OS (which I do on my primary Linux Mint PC) you can boot up Clonezilla on another computer you want to image and then, through the ethernet connection, connect to the PC and store the image on there.

.Thanks for the tips. Always open to suggestions to better my tech abilities.