CPU: AMD or Intel?

vbimport

This is a bit of an open door, but still, some of my friends prefer Intel others don’t want anything else than AMD, what’s your favorite CPU brand?

My favorite is the one that does the job I need it to do and has the lowest price. I would have to check both options.

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2646844]This is a bit of an open door, but still, some of my friends prefer Intel others don’t want anything else than AMD, what’s your favorite CPU brand?[/QUOTE]

Well first off Intel cost more the AMD in cpu prices. Also are we talking desktop or laptop? There are other factors that influences what endusers by and their reason can vary from liking one cpu to the cost of the cpu. I for me go with AMD for desktop for cost but for laptop I would choose intel cpu as I found out for my older laptop I can upgrade the cpu alot easier then AMD laptop CPU. So everyone choices varies by wide margins depending on their needs and cost factors and what discounts they get to buy one cpu brand over another. Yes, Intel does have better performance then AMD but would they really in their everyday facebook, twittering, surfing and buying on the internet see the difference - probably not. Unless they use in hardcore Games, CAD, Multimedia or something requiring more juice and power on demand will they see the benefits and difference between the two cpu but other then that the ordinary John and Jane doe won’t notice much other then burning a hole in their wallet.

1. Brand names means something
  2. Along with brand name COST also play a factor in buying
  3. Desktop or Laptop??
  4. Incentives to by one cpu over another
  5. Future Expansion along with cost

I usually choose motherboard chipset first because it defines compatibility, scalability… X48, X58, X79… these have been my favorite chipsets so I had to choose i7 920, i7 3820… In the old days, a TX and HX chipset supported processors from both Intel and AMD.

As Kenny mentions, chipset is (to me) just as important as CPU manufacturer.

The right combination of both, along with what my budget will allow, is what does it for me. So I could end up with either on my next upgrade (2 Intel-based PCs ATM). :wink:

I prefer AMD FX series (Video + CPU) = (for regular users) the right choice.
I have A4-3300 (dual core).

I just went through this and would say to buy Intel and not AMD

Intel is faster, more efficient / optimized. Intel 4ghz vs AMD 4ghz, AMD is clocking 20% slower. On Intel, games do not stutter. Recording video is smoother and faster. Audio conversion / processing is faster. If you go new Intel online video on 3770k you get very good hardware support for video / mm operation.

If I buy next computer, it will from now on always be Intel

I have compare AMD 965 and new 8150 and Intel 6 core I7.

Used to like AMD. Not anymore… Intel is alot better. IMOP

I think there needs to be a third option: Both.

If I’m on a budget for a build and it’s mainly a gaming rig, then AMD. I don’t need the performance crown in performance and also don’t need to spend a boat load of cash either. If money isn’t an object or the person is willing to justify heavy spending, then Intel (or AMD if requested). High-end performance? Whoever is on top at the time, currently that’s Intel, previously AMD (and back and forth).

With that said, I have been purchasing processors on both sides for over a decade. At some point in the near future I’ll be replacing some of the older Intel PCs with AMD FX rigs.

I’ve been using Intel for a number of years, but I feel there is still a place for AMD CPUs.
I just wish they could catch up with Intel performance wise.

I dont really care these days not bothered about huge overclocks pi 1m etc etc just wanna use the thing. i used to have all the toys etc now i just chill with my sammy ultrabook via my tv

[QUOTE=Dee;2655175]I’ve been using Intel for a number of years, but I feel there is still a place for AMD CPUs.
I just wish they could catch up with Intel performance wise.[/QUOTE]

Same here…if they could at least match then it be a good day but being as they are they will always be second…but for price yes they can be a good deal. But least we forget if AMD goes out Intel will be sole charge in charging whatever price they want for the CPU and all the buyers will cringe but will not have a choice of what CPU to buy so…to all be careful what you wish for…and it might not just be AMD going out but more and more expensive CPU. Don’t want Intel CPU tough luck would be there mantra…if AMD was to go or leave the CPU business altogether…

Yeah I’ve got nothing against either manufacturer and I’ve jumped ship several times in the past as it’s whatever represents the best ‘bang for buck’ as far as I’m concerned.

ATM Intel seem to be wiping the floor with AMD and I currently have an Intel based machine but if AMD get their act together and overtake Intel then I’d be happy switching again.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I currently have Intel… last system was AMD… lemme just say NOW more than ever it’s important to justify a purchase/build with answering a couple of basic questions FIRST: What kinds of budget(da moola) do you have? SECOND: What apps do you intend to run on the machine? You can base this answer on the most DEMANDING apps you might throw at it… ie GAMING, MULTITASKING, DISC BURNING, MULTIMEDIA Storage, HD video playback/recording encoding, Very high speed internet, etc. You can get away with a build under $350 from soup to nuts (dvd burner, no blu ray for you elcheapos).

Here’s my idea… for systems costing $350 and under (soup to nuts-- or gut rebuilds you can probably get away with AMD)… from $350 and up you’ll probably kick yourself for not going with Intel…

Of course this is a generalization, and YMMV since computer part prices vary throughout the year and could depend on what you have from your last build to stack the deck for one build vs another… Almost nothing could be used from my last build… my old AMD was a single core, the PSU was useless since PCIE bus, the MOBO power supplies needed 24+4 +4//8pin connectors for video cards… etc… So the build ended up depocketing me for about $650-$700 (in 2010).