Coverting dvd

vbimport

hey i got a new dvd from national geographic channel and they sent me a u.s version which will not play in europe its in ntsc format can i convert to pal? thanks Matt

[QUOTE=MatthewEnnis;2490784]hey i got a new dvd from national geographic channel and they sent me a u.s version which will not play in europe its in ntsc format can i convert to pal? thanks Matt[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum, Matt :slight_smile:

It’s probably a region 1 disc then - that’s where your problem lies, I think, as most (if not all) machines in the UK are able to play both PAL and NTSC. I’m guessing the UK is where you’re from…:slight_smile:

What I would suggest, is to backup your DVD (assuming it’s copy-protected) with something like DVDFab Platinum, or the AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo - both have fully functional trial versions.

I know a DVDFab-created backup will be region-free, not sure about CloneDVD as I haven’t used it in a long time.

But maybe try both and see which suits you best. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MatthewEnnis;2490784]hey i got a new dvd from national geographic channel and they sent me a u.s version which will not play in europe its in ntsc format can i convert to pal? thanks Matt[/QUOTE]

And did you inform them they sent you the wrong region dvd and to get one that fits your region??? I think that would be for customer service at national geographic channel to help you with.

I would agree with [B]coolcolors[/B] suggestion, because if you got DVD player made for US market, than PAL format DVD, even if it is region free, will not work.
Also before you plug it in, make sure if it is capable to be plugged in [B][I]220V/50Hz[/I][/B] power.

Depends where the user is located - here in the UK, with modern TV equipment and most DVD players on the market, NTSC discs will play fine - I have several which play on multiple players/TV equipment belonging to various different people (the players had been made region 0). :slight_smile:

Contacting Nat. Geo would be a good idea though :iagree: - however, personally I’m the impatient type and usually want to watch a DVD purchase as soon as I get my paws on it, hence the recommendation to back up to a region-free disc. Of course this would only be legal if the OP plans to keep the original region 1 discs, and not return it to Nat. Geo, though. :wink:

From the OP’s post, I don’t get the impression he is in the US or Canada. :wink:

I have to apologize to[B] Arachne[/B] for misreading original post. Somehow I got an impression that OP is talking about DVD player, not DVD disc.
In that case I have to switch sides and agree with you.

Is it a bad time to ask if this “coverted” DVD will be doing any special ops and hence might need some Ninja training? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

No worries, that’s still good advice for someone (in Europe) acquiring electrical stuff from the US :wink:

[QUOTE=midders;2491404]Is it a bad time to ask if this “coverted” DVD will be doing any special ops and hence might need some Ninja training? :smiley: :smiley: :D[/QUOTE]

LOL! :bigsmile: