Court to decide fate of digital MP3 resales

vbimport

I just posted the article Court to decide fate of digital MP3 resales.

A US Court is set to make what could be a landmark decision in relation to the reselling of digital music.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/court-to-decide-fate-of-digital-mp3-resales-64164/](http://www.myce.com/news/court-to-decide-fate-of-digital-mp3-resales-64164/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

EMI will win as it most likely via the RIAA has already bribed the court…

Well lets hope they decide for the little guy here but I also doubt it as everyone seems bought and paid for these days and EMI and their industry has deep pockets. It sounds like that service is trying to do everything legal and on the up and up so hope they get a break and maybe it will help the rest of us.

One thing’s for sure, this is certainly the showdown that I’ve been waiting to hear about. Everyone, keep you fingers crossed.

meh. Just buy the CD. Rip the CD. Sell the CD. Same as it ever was.

I remember a Dilbert episode where a bloke released an Album, and only a single copy was sold …

And every after, everyone he introduces himself to says "Hey, I bought your Album, it was awesome!!"
And he’s all “NO YOU DIDN’T!!!”

1)How does the software know if the song has been legally bought or not?

2)I would think converting my mp3 to a WAV and back to mp3 using different conversion settings would be enough to fool this software.

3)What’s to prevent me from just using my wife’s lappy to do all the “reselling” but keep the originals on my computer.

Where I am going with this, is that I have around 15,000 mp3s on my computer. probably around 8000 are from my own personal rips from my cd collection, the rest “legally” downloaded during the 90’s here in Canada.

So whats to stop my from making another copy onto my wife’s lappy and selling my collection?

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2658432]1)How does the software know if the song has been legally bought or not?

2)I would think converting my mp3 to a WAV and back to mp3 using different conversion settings would be enough to fool this software.

3)What’s to prevent me from just using my wife’s lappy to do all the “reselling” but keep the originals on my computer.

Where I am going with this, is that I have around 15,000 mp3s on my computer. probably around 8000 are from my own personal rips from my cd collection, the rest “legally” downloaded during the 90’s here in Canada.

So whats to stop my from making another copy onto my wife’s lappy and selling my collection?[/QUOTE]
DRM.
Mp3’s don’t inherently include DRM.
There might be some file formats that are DRM wrappers around an MP3 file though …