Couple questions... (1) My burner is slow under Windows; (2) Any Linux geeks here?

Hi, new here, but been backing up my dvds quite a while. Have a win2k machine, with an older sony 4x (maybe 2.4x) dvd single-layer burner. Have used dvdshrink and dvddecrypter. Backing up a movie (reading & writing) (“reauthored” - movie title only) takes a couple hours… :confused: No big deal, I just find something else to do while its working…

But after reading thru many threads here, it seems like somethings wrong… or is that about right for a old burner?

I also have a linux machine with an year-old AOpen 8x (I think) dvd burner. I’m still learning about backing up dvds under linux. Have not done one yet. Is anyone here a linux geek?

Anyway, I’m just introducing myself…

Welcome to CDF,
A lot of things vary the speed of DVD Shrink and Decrypter
How much the files need to be compressed to fit on a single layer disc.
The speed of your cpu and the rest of your system.
The buring speed of your drive.
I would check to see if DMA in enabled. This Link will show you how.
Two hours doesn’t seem too bad for the whole job though.

snafoo,

Download DVDInfoPRO utility (free) here: http://www.dvd-recordable.org/wwwimgs/media/flash/dvdinfopro/dvdinfoadvertzip.htm

This utility will help you to check what your burners are capable of.

GB

ok, thanks. will do when I get home from work.

sheesh, having to go to work every day is interfering with my fun…

btw: my win2k machine is an amd-64, with 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HD

I would check to see if DMA in enabled

I checked, it is.

Download DVDInfoPRO utility (free)

I just did. Froze up my machine…had to do a hard reboot

If you have a 2.4x or a 4x burner then you are right in the ball park for it taking a couple of hours.

:cool: :cool:

ok, thanks, I was wondering about the long time it takes. I want to buy a new dvd-burner (faster, and dual layer), but I’ve been reading about this “riplock” firmware… The first time I ever heard of it was just 2 days ago…

do any new drives NOT have riplock? I suppose if I buy a drive with riplock, you guys can help me get rid of it by changing the firmware…?

I’m not sure but I think the riplock is there no matter what. The burning will be faster. All firmware does is more of media compatibility I do believe.

Riplock just slows the reading speed of your drive to the speed the firmware thinks is the most acurate. It doesn’t effect the burning speed at all. Most popular drives have hacked firmware available that removes the riplock but will void your warantee. Unless you have a very fast computer you probably would not notice any difference when ripping a disc that is encrypted anyway.

Riplock can be bypassed using Ala42’s MediaCodeSpeedEdit by loading the firmware into it and then checking the increase read speed box, saving and then flashing the speedpatched firmware. All of my burners have been done this way, and it has decreased rip times by a few minutes (wasn’t very long to begin with though).

it has decreased rip times by a few minutes (wasn’t very long to begin with though)

ok thanks guys!! I didn’t know if it made a big diff or not… I thought maybe it increased the total backup time like a half hour or something…

sounds like something not to worry about.

It all depends on your burner and system. If your system can handle more than the burner is ripping, then it can greatly decrease rip times. If the system is older and/or slower then it won’t make much of a difference as the system is only capable of so much.

It all depends on your burner and system. If your system can handle more than the burner is ripping

the machine I want to put a new burner in is this:

win2000 pro
AMD-64
1 GB RAM
160 GB HD (IDE) but the mobo has SATA also

Which AMD 64 CPU is it? Should be listed under system info and your bios.

If you’re using DVD Shrink, it’s not the burning that’s taking up all that time, it’s the fact that DVD Shrink needs to re-compress the movie down to a single layer disc. Compressing video takes a decent chunk of time on any system.

I’ve heard good things about an app called dvd::rip, and there are guides around to getting DVD Shrink to run with Wine. www.videohelp.com could probably help you out with that.

Hi snafoo, glad you already found the NeroLINUX forum. :iagree:

There are indeed quite a few native ways to do video DVD backups under Linux. Most of them involve tools such as mencoder or transcode (and a whole host of other utilities for menues, subtitles, …). Quite a few GUIs are available. I think dvd::rip is the classic.

But I like the quality of dvdshrink on Windows, so I chose this path, which is (almost) totally unnative to Linux, but works fine for me. The Linux freaks would kill me for this :wink: :

[ul]
[li]run DVDDecrypter under Wine (works fast and fine)
[/li][li]run dvdshrink under VMware; it’s supposed to work fine under Wine as well (I can point you to some reports if you want), but I didn’t succeed that way
[/li][li]drop dvdshrink’s resulting VIDEO_TS structure into NeroLINUX, check the option “video DVD” (I think it even does that automatically or asks you) and press the “Burn” button. Presto!
[/li][/ul]
At least this is close to what you’ve been doing previously, so you might like this method.

Hope this helps!

gibso(n)

ok, thanks. On my linux machine, I have already installed some GUI programs to copy DVDs: k9copy, acidrip, dvdrip, Gmencoder, and dvdshrink.

The dvdshrink is really a program called “xdvdshrink”. It is different than the windows one. Weird that to install “xdvdshrink” in linux, you call it dvdshrink, and it puts it in your linux programs menu as “dvdshrink”.

Unfortunately, all those linux programs don’t work for me, although many other people use them. The problem could be me, I’m not a linux guru, although I’ve been using it for a few years. I am still experimenting with all those programs, maybe I will figure out something one of these days.