Couple of questions on backing up Movie DVDs

I found the review of various DVD backup softwares at the following link:

http://www.dvd.box.sk/articles8.php?stranka=1

If this review is credible, then Intervideo’s Copy DVD and Pinnacle’s InstantCopy sure leave the competitors in the dust!

I have used DVDShrink most recently and like it for it’s ease of use, but apparently the quality of the recode leaves something to be desired.

My questions:

1. I see that a PAL disc was used in the review process, is there any significant difference if using a NTSC disc?

2. If I use DVDShrink to rip my movies to HDD at no compression for main movie, removing previews, and compressing extras to the max; THEN I use Copy DVD or InstantCopy to recode, will this give me the best possible quality on my backups?

Thanks for your time and attention.

that review is fairly old by now and is considered pretty much obsolete. it wasn’t taken very seriously either. even at the time of the writing of the article, they didn’t use the newest versions of all of the software they tested. dvdshrink has had many updates since that time and i’m sure the quality has improved. you should probably give it a shot since it’s free, although if you’re concerned about quality, you should be using dvd-rebuilder instead of a transcoder.

Well, and you can try out AnyDVD with CloneDVD2.
It is worth trying for yourself as many software as you can or desire.
You can download the trials here: www.slysoft.com

AZ, what is difference between a transcoder and DVD Rebuilder?

DVD Rebuilder uses a true encoder (preferably CCE) to do the conversion rather than the transcoding engine as used in Shrink, CloneDVD, DVD2One, etc.

Just out of curiousity, does a more recent comparison of quality exist than the one I posted above?

I would like to make backups at the best possible picture quality to DVDR media.
I like to remove the intros (i.e. previews) and keep the main movie and extras (i.e. blooper reel, delete scenes, etc.)

The quality of the extras isn’t as important as the quality of the main movie to me.

Based on my preferences, what would be the best way to accomplish this?

I’m thinking (and please correct me if i’m wrong) that I can use DVD Shrink to rip the DVD to HDD and also remove previews and compress the extras while leaving the main movie uncompressed. Then use Rebuilder to re-encode (if this is what RB does) the DVD to the DVDR size.

And I don’t believe that it should matter what I use to do the actual burning, correct?

Thanks again for allowing me to tap into your experience and knowledge!

Disagree. In this example you have not compressed the movie, so you have 100% quality. If, like you said, you are not worried about the quality of the extra, you just continue with Dvdshrink. Just make sure you have selected deep analysis and AEC.

Alot of users will use rebuilder with CCE. Other feels that dvdshrink give equal quality.
I have read many posts that users were not able to see the difference between the long CCE recoding process and the quicker dvdshrink.

This is what I do: I use dvdshrink at 70% and up. I always use deep analysis and AEC setting at “smooth”. Smooth setting will be much longuer that default “sharp” setting. I know it’s not scientific, but I guess if it is much longuer, the algorithm is better. On the dvdsrhink site, there is some LOTR samples of the different settings.

Now for those movies below 70%, I use two disks. No compression.
Usually, you will use two disks for long movie, as such, it’s less of a problem: you would have pause your movie to go to the bathroom :wink: .

Me again.

Tredder
This recent thread will answer many of your questions.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=108178

Thanks Rick.

You said you use dvdshrink at 70% and up, what do you use otherwise?

Also, do you have a link to the LOTR samples at the dvdshrink site, I can’t seem to find them?

Thanks.